So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Started on the Seekers series. So far I like the first book.Plenty of development and action and mystery- nice pacing. I admit I tend to giggle every time Mack describes a female. "Trim, lithesome, slender....pretty. Not a flaw- Mack is one of my favorite writers- but it has a tendency to take me out of the story so I can make a mental hash mark in my head. I'm sure he does this for the men as well but it just doesn't seem to stand out as much in my head for some reason.

Idran likes this.
  2. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

Just got to the point where the Enterprise has cloaking technology available, basically ready to use:shrug:.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read Dead Ringer by T.E. Varney and Death by Vanilla Latte by Alex Erickson.

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love Story by Karen Kingsbury (finished in two days)

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished the Wonder Woman novel by Nancy Holder. Now I'm on The Burial Hour by Jeffrey Deaver.

6. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Down to the last chapter of The Case of Rose Bird. Not particularly well written. The author could have shaved a good 50 pages off of it easily by acknowledging the late California former Chief Justice's intensely private nature and moving on, rather than whining about it.

And she very annoyingly uses inherently moderate language -- words like "liberal" and "conservative" -- to describe extreme points of view better described with terms like (respectively) "leftist" and "reactionary." This is the mark of somebody who either has a radical agenda, one way or another, or is buying into (rather than fighting) such an agenda, or is simply ignorant of what the words really mean.

Not particularly well edited, either: there's a block of photographs in the middle, without page numbers, but they're not "plates," on coated (or even just smoother) stock to allow for finer screening; they're printed on precisely the same paper as the text pages; therefore, they could just as easily have been printed in-context.

But it is an important book. Especially in this age of intense politicization -- mainly by the Far Right -- of SCOTUS.

I expect to finally begin Hearts and Minds tomorrow, on my 55th birthday. Funny how that works out.

7. Riverside2233

Riverside2233 Commander Red Shirt

VAN: In Tempest's Wake - I have to say this did not really feel like the rest of VAN to me. I get the whole "after action review" going on here between Kirk and Nogura. I get filling in some TOS gaps between the involvement of the USS Enterprise in the battle of Starbase 47.

I get the idea of it.

But I wanted less of the TOS crew here and more wrapping up of the actual Vanguard characters, who barely received any mention until the very end. Either way, not my favorite, but you can't win em all. Plus, I was exhausted after a long day so maybe I just couldn't focus. Hopefully Seekers gives me some extra Taurus Reach action, but now I'll be floating between 2267-2268.

8. Reanok

Star Trek Seekers 4 All that;s left by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore

9. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I've only read the first collection and it was a while ago, so I don't remember much about it. But I do recall it being much better than the book I just read.

ETA: I found a post I had made about the comic from a while ago here: https://www.trekbbs.com/posts/11342808/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  10. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Finished TNG: Intellivore. Awful, awful book. The characters are totally off; and I get that Diane Duane is primarily a TOS author, but her other TNG novels (such as Dark Mirror) portray the cast spot-on. Great premise though (a living planet that eats people), but leaves a lot to be desired. :thumbdown:

11. ZanandQunuo

ZanandQunuo Cadet Newbie

At the moment I'm reading Erich Maria Remarque Shadows in Paradise

12. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Read Treasured Grace by Tracie Peterson.

13. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

Q&A.....

Paris likes this.
  14. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Finished Candace Calvert's Step By Step. Reading Laura Frantz's The Mistress of Tall Acre.

15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Peace Divided by Tanya Huff.

16. Reanok

Star Trek TNG The Light Fantastic by Jeffrey Lang

17. Laura Cynthia Chambers

The Sisters of Sugarcreek by Cathy Liggett is next for me.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was in the mood for something new yesterday, so I switched out the first collection of Sensation Comics for the first collection of IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic series. I read the first issue and so far it's been really good.

19. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Just got my copy of Una's DS9: Enigma Tales. Gonna jump into it this afternoon. I'm probably in the minority, but i'm excited for more Pulaski and Alden, especially with them getting mixed in with Garak this time around :techman:

20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I am reading Articles of the Federation