So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No mystery; it was decided that the title I.K.S. Gorkon might be too cryptic for new readers to know what it was about, and that Klingon Empire might be a better draw. Similar to why S.C.E. was changed to Corps of Engineers -- and, for that matter, why Enterprise was changed to Star Trek: Enterprise.

2. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well that clearly worked out.

3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm halfway thru The 34th Rule, which is a really good read. It's very deep and political, and does a nice twist with the usually sympathetic Bajorans taking Quark and Rom as political prisoners in a concentration camp after negotiations to buy a lost Orb from the Nagus goes wrong.
    It was originally intended to be an episode, but after it was rejected it was turned into a novel. It's a pretty large novel, quite a bit larger than the standard old school numbered novels. I can't imagine it working half as well as an episode, it's scope is just too broad to be told in a forty five minute episode.

4. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David Miller

I've been exercising by hiking local trails, and over the summer I visited Clingman's Dome, which is along the Appalachian Trail. I'm nowhere near being able to do something like thru-hiking the AT, but I have this tiny inkling in the back of my mind that I'd like to try someday. Reading this to see if it will convince me I'm crazy. ;)

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"The Shocks of Adversity" by William Leisner.

6. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm currently a quarter of the way through Star Wars: Aftermath. I'm really enjoying it so far.

7. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Been on an audiobook binge through Robin Hobb's The Tawny Man Trilogy and the first two books of The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy. Well, actually, I'm still on Fool's Assassin, but it's a re-listen to build up to Fool's Quest which just came out. I love this series so very much. <3

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm currently halfway through "The Light Fantastic" by Jeffrey Lang and enjoying it. In fact, since getting back into Trek novels last year with the Cold Equations and Destiny trilogies, I've been so pleased with this renaissance of connected storylines in the Trek universe, connecting characters from several of the series and timelines.

10. Kertrats47

My review of New Frontier: The Returned, Part 3 is up.

Just finished You're Never Weird on the Internet, and currently reading S.C.E. #15: Past Life by Robert Greenberger.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I remember KRAD saying somewhere that if the series had continued, he also planned on expanding the series focus beyond just the Gorkon to other aspects of the empire.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading a worldwar2 spy thriller Murder by Matchlight by E.C.R. Lorac it's really exciting. I hope to start soon Star Trek TNG Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward.

13. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    What I've been reading, since being away from Trek bbs:

*Batman Vol. 1 - 3
    *izombie series
    *Appleseed Vol. 1 & 2. I may or may not read Vol. 3
    *Odder Than Ever by Bruce Coville...who pissed me off with one story that generalizes people from the LGBT community as well as African-Americans.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Trek TNG Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward.

15. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me and my son started reading Star Wars: Servants of the Empire- Edge of the Galaxy. Monday I'll finally get time to start Voyager: Atonement. I can't wait!

16. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, finally someone who is still behind me. I'm currently in the middle of Atonement and I like it very much.... ;)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading the first ST: Eugenics Wars book yesterday at work. I've been hearing about the Kahn books for ages, and I've finally decided to read them.

18. shivadas

shivadas Ensign Newbie

I envy you! You have some great DS9 reads awaiting for you. If you choose to read Rising Son and the Left Hand of Destiny books, be patient. They deviate a bit from the Avatar/ Mission Gamma story-line but are well worth the attention.

I just finished the Trill story from the Worlds of Deep Space Nine line last night. Off to Bajor tonight!

Edit: Oops, think I quoted an old post, John Clark. Didn't see how huge this thread was!

19. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After reading the final part of The Returned, I read 24: Deadline by James Swallow, and am now about half way through David Mack's 24: Rogue. Ive tried 24 novels before, and found them quite lacklustre, but these two capture the feel well.

20. Kertrats47

Just posted my review of the second book in the TOS: Mere Anarchy mini-series: The Centre Cannot Hold by Mike W. Barr.

Finished The Martian by Andy Weir yesterday. Highly recommend!

Finally started The Autobiography of James T. Kirk, enjoying it so far!