So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi which was very fun as it was my first Luke Skywalker book.

Now on to Lost Era: One Constant Star.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i read the TNG novel Immortal Coil. i read the e-book version and it was my first time doing such a thing. i didn't think i would like it, as i dearly love my paper books. i greatly enjoyed the novel (gonna read the Cold Equations trilogy next) and will most likely get a few more e-books soon.

3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

And so it begins for yet another....

Trees thank you. Think of the trees, man!

4. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And so, with the start of a new semester of grad school, I have lost 80% of my leisure reading time...read on for me, my friends, read on.

5. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege by Antony Beevor.

6. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

That sounds really depressing.

7. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

As big a fan of ebooks as I am, I wouldn't be a good Oregonian if I didn't point out that most paper comes from tree farms nowadays. :P

(They're weird sites to drive past too.)

8. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

If trees read books made out of people that were grown on people farms, I doubt you would be such a arboraliteral apologist.

9. Idran

Mm, probably not, though I'd probably still be an arborafigurative one. :D

10. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Obviously, I keed, I keed...when I own a bookcase again, I am going to declare holy war on those barkin barkers. My phone aka Kindle is like, are you just going to poke on me all day, or are you gonna use me to call your parents sometime?

11. Idran

Haha, yeah, I'm the same. Books are awesome, ebooks are awesome, why pick sides?

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And I gather that no trees are cut down specifically to make books from; the material is drawn from wood/fiber supplies that serve many other purposes as well. So the same number of trees would be cut down whether the books were printed or not.

Also, the paper in books and magazines these days generally incorporates a lot of recycled material.

13. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished The Martian by Andy Weir a little while back.

I'm currently reading the second book in The Kane Chronicles, The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan.

14. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished A Ceremony of Losses today. Ultimately, a really good tale, in the grand tradition of "For the Uniform" but outside of the main narrative it feels so detached from everything. Despite taking place only a few days from the events of Revelation and Dust we've no mention of the odd Bajoran who popped up out of nowhere on DS9, there doesn't appear to be any ongoing investigation into the murder that took place, no mention of a lot of aspects of the former book. Heck, there's barely any mention of the wormhole being open! (Aside from an oddly casual line Bashir makes about using the Gamma Quadrant as a cover story, despite this being a pretty big deal as no one's been there in 2 years.) A lot of stuff happens off-page, too. Sarina thinks to herself that Bashir will hate knowing she went to Section 31 instead of Starfleet Intelligence but the next chapter he knows with no fallout between them, that would have been a good scene. We get the POV of Sarai for a few paragraphs, whose plot-essential tattling is not witnessed and who appears for a few paragraphs to summarily thrown out. Akaar seems primed to ignore orders, then doesn't for no discernible reason. The weird, nearly unnecessary, assassin bit. It's all weird. I was left with the feeling that Losses should have been the first book in the sequence, despite the fact that it would need the events of the first to accomplish it. I almost wish they had mish-moshed all five books together so that the threads of this book carried over all the other books. Still, I did enjoy it quite a bit but something about it felt the slightest bit off. I would also say that it gets really interesting from the mid-point on and becomes page turning, but the lead up is a little blah.

Why does the Federation have such rum luck with leadership?

I have The Poisoned Chalice on tap now as well as March, Book Two.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

^ Honestly, I kinda feel like the events of The Fall could have been condensed into a tense, fast-paced and exciting trilogy and would have been better for it.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

reading Foul Deeds Will Rise.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading the upcoming The Original Series: Shadows of the Machine. Not too impressed so far but I'm hoping that will change soon.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Why are you reading everything I want to read that comes out in March right now?

19. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I'm about halfway through Poisoned Chalice and must say that you're not wrong. So far this one feels the most connected to everything and it makes sense given its role. But yeah, four books and a lead off book that was 50% not at all related to the event was probably not the best course for this story.

20. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree. Much as I liked The Fall, it was one book about Cardassia (with Cardassia kind of being important, to a limited extent, in two others), three books about the Federation and the rise of Ishan (one of which is actually far more about the Andorians, who are again important to only limited extent in the next two), and a welcome visit to DS9 that was really set-up for the next round of DS9 stories (besides featuring the assassination itself). Most of the ideas and developments in the series were very good, but they hang together a bit awkwardly in places. The first three books tell mostly self-contained stories (though all move different arcs of the meta-story forward very nicely), and when the fourth book blends them all together it feels that there should have been more of a coherency to this. More tightly interweaving the developments on Cardassia and Andor with the rise of Ishan might have helped raise the series to greater heights. In retrospect, it sort of feels like the series doesn't quite hold together. The shape it should hold is there, visible, but not really fully realized, if that makes sense? Which is a shame, because I thought all of the books individually were very good, except maybe the last, which was average.