So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I've finally...FINALLY...finished off DS9: Twilight by DRG3. It was fantastic, but man-o-man, that was a long read. Probably the longest Trek book i've ever read. Next up is either PAD's NF: Blind Man's Bluff, or DS9: This Grey Spirit..

2. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Finally started Q-Squared today. Wow that opening.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

That book is super fun.

4. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Reading James Doohan's autobiography, "Beam Me Up, Scotty", which was written with Peter David.

I'm struggling like hell deciding on a Trek novel to start. I have most of the books, and I can't decide if I want to start with classic Trek novels or a modern one. Decisions...

I just finished "Spock Must Die!" by James Blish, and as I mentioned elsewhere, I was not a big fan though there were certainly some great ideas in the book.

5. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Q-Squared is one of the first Trek novels I ever remember reading. I got it as a gift from my aunt and uncle when I was about 12 years old. I don't know how many times I've re-read it since, but it never fails to entertain me. Great book!

6. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

Just over half way through a re-read of Immortal Coil before getting to The Light Fantastic.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Proven Guilty, the 8th The Dresden Files book. I haven't taken the time to write a review yet, but I loved this just as much as the other books in the series. So far there hasn't been a bad one in the bunch.
    I think this is the most books I have ever read in a series that wasn't Star Trek or Harry Potter.

8. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

woot gave up on star trek DS9 relaunch mission gamma bk 1 2/3 of way thro will go back at some point maybe when i get paperback copy not a ebook, pre Destiny trilogy was getting to confusing as i was so far ahead on the arc so spent day reading Star trek Typhon Pact Zero Sum Game. Very good book really entertaining. On to Titan Seize the Fire

9. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

this too was the first trek novel i ever read and i think is the resin i still read trek novels today best book ever IMO. re read it all the time.

10. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started a major star trek reading odyssey last night. Beginning with TOS: "The Entropy Effect" and TNG: "Ghost Ship," I'll be reading through all the trek pocket books. TOS I'm going to read in publication order; TNG and beyond with the 24th century stuff i'll be reading in chronological order. Skipping around here and there, where i'll read the different cross over series together, i.e. Invasion!, Day of Honor.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Trek Ds9 Raise the dawn by David R. George.

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Awesome :)

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

actually changed my mind. I picked up Star Trek TNG: Losing the Peace the other night, just mostly at random. I've had everything read, Post-Nemesis, up to the finishing the Destiny trilogy, when it first came out. a day later, I'm already 3/4 of the way through Losing the Peace, and now I plan to burn through, and get caught up on all the Post-Nemesis books thanks to that flowchart.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Ghostwalkers, a DEADLANDS novel by Jonathan Maberry, due out from Tor next year. It's a weird western based on the role-playing game.

Enjoying it so far . . ..

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I recently came upon the TOS novel The Three-Minute Universe by Barbara Paul at a used-book store, and I decided it was a story I wanted to revisit. I found I was having a hard time hearing the dialogue in the TOS actors' voices, since it tended to be more informal and casual in tone than TOS dialogue. But then it struck me that many of Scotty's lines read as though they were written for Simon Pegg's fast-talking, dithyrambic Scotty, and then I realized that pretty much the whole thing feels more natural if I imagine the Abramsverse cast. Well, except for Kirk, since he's written as more of a seasoned mentor figure -- but still, his dialogue fits Pine's speech patterns better than Shatner's. Interesting given that the book dates from 1988.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  16. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I love Q Spquared! Peter David is a big favorite of mine.
    I've been reading a lot of older Trek books in my ongoing massive read/re-read of Trek in publication order. Not reading everything just the ones I already have and/or others that looked especially interesting.
    I'm currently halfway thru Dwellers in the Crucible. I really like it, I have previously read Wander's Pike novel Burning Dreams, and I liked it too. It's interesting how both of those novels explores 23rd century life outside of Star Fleet.

17. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I'm looking to read either "Ender's Game" (for the first time) or the John Christopher Tripod novel, "When the Tripods Came."

18. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Just finished reading James Doohan's autobiography, "Beam Me Up, Scotty" which was written with Peter David.

I enjoyed it. I've been enjoying reading about the actors.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just picked up a trade paper collection of classic "Dick Tracy" comic strips. Should be fun.

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral