So I heard that there were dolphin crew members on the Enterprise D.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Rock, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

I worked on a few.

2. Admiral Archer

Admiral Archer Captain Captain

OKAY, the fact that you worked on the DS9 Sega Genesis game is incredible. I used to do MS Paint photo manipulations a few years back mashing up Starfleet character sprites from that game with the ones from Super Metroid for the SNES (I've always thought the Metroid series could easily cross over with Star Trek). :)

Ziyal's Ghost likes this.
  3. Maurice

Ah, the DS9 game (shudder). I can really only take credit for the Saratoga level of the game, as I walked away from it after that due to conflicts with the intractable producer. I was brought back a year later to help fix it, but I never liked the level design much in the bulk of the game, most of which I found tired and rote.

4. Dr. Kravaal

Dr. Kravaal Vice Admiral Admiral

You do good work, and have a great eye for detail

5. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I came across this today, amusingly. :rommie:

6. Maurice

Thanks.

One thing they cut from the Saratoga level on the DS9 game was to get into the lockers in the bridge airlock, the way you had to get past the Borg drone there was to open the airlock and explosively decompress the compartment. That was programmed and then cut for some reason.

A whole second section of the Saratoga was built and cut from the game, and in it you had to eject the warp core to buy time. You literally saw the core go out the bottom of the ship as you had to lay flat on the floor in order to avoid going out with it.

Ziyal's Ghost and Dr. Kravaal like this.
  7. Cyanide Muffin

Cyanide Muffin Admiral Premium Member

Oh for sure I loved that. At least they tried with that show to do something different. I liked the Xindi aquatics

8. Dr. Kravaal

There might be some there. When I first saw the Xindi—I thought they were a...first federation?

9. Arpy

Arpy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be cool to see a whole range of aquatic or amphibious Federation peoples. There's semi-intelligent whales and dolphins, alien intelligent animals, Xindi Aquatics, Aquans (TAS), Megarites (TMP), in the lit there's a Federation memberworld called the Alonis and maybe another called the Delphine, and there's been behind the scenes talk about the Benzites and maybe the Arcadians (TVH) being amphibious too. Maybe you can dive into Cetacean Ops like you can step onto the arboretum. Or there's a mini-beach if you're an amphibious species to gently walk in and out of it.

EDIT: Also (as @NCC-73515 and some of us talked about at this week’s General Trek Zoom), Tom Paris nearly joined the Federation Naval Patrol instead of Starfleet. Maybe that’s chalk full of water-breathers we rarely see on most space vessels. I can already see a part-SeaQuest, part-Magnum P.I., part NCIS show with a cool theme song and 80’s TV intro....Star Trek: Dark Alien Seas!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Ziyal's Ghost and NCC-73515 like this.
  10. Arpy

Then there are aliens like the Legarans from TNG’s “Sarek,” who swim in pools of hot ooze of some kind and Trill symbionts in milky fresh water lakes? Multi-liquid chambers? Might not be too hard to accomplish. They accommodated a Tholian easily enough on ENT. Maybe Xindi Aquatics wear special gills to breathe in freshwater Trill lakes like Benzites wear breathing tubes on Starfleet ships.

11. Arpy

Article on aquatic species in Trek.

Some interesting I neglected to mention above like the Antedians (I always thought the makeup was so cheesy!) and the turtle-like Rigellians from TMP.

There are more aquatic species in Trek than I realized!

Ziyal's Ghost and NCC-73515 like this.
  12. Maurice

Ziyal's Ghost and Dr. Kravaal like this.
  13. Dr. Kravaal

Just lovely....

14. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Motto for Cetacean ops: "We Serve no Porpoise"

...I'll show myself out.

15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Only for Earth speakers, why would nonhumans use an ancient Earth language to describe themselves?
    And why don't humans speak Earth since Vulcans speak Vulcan lol

16. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Cetacean Ops is mentioned in the Lower Decks episode "Second Contact". It is for a different ship, the USS Cerritos.

In the episode "We'll Always Have Paris", a door label says, "Tursiops Crew Facility".

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Protocol

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I love all the Uplift books, and Sundiver has become one of his more popular works, though he readily admits it wasn't as good as his later work. I had a good time listening to the audiobook version years after reading the novel.

Brin currently has an updated version of sundiver out and is apparently updating and re-releasing the rest of the series as he has re-acquired the rights.

Dr. Kravaal and Ziyal's Ghost like this.
  19. JRoss

JRoss Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, nice. That book had potential. But the prose was gurgh. And then in the last couple chapters when we find out that the whole mysterious personality thing that Demwa had going on was nothing? I didn't like that. IIRC Brin just writes, Jacob had an active imagination.

Anyway, I hope the new version is better.

20. Sad Kelpian Child

Sad Kelpian Child Admiral Admiral

Were there also potentially Xindi aquatics?

Ziyal's Ghost and Arpy like this.