So, anyone excited about Mirror Universe episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Rich, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My concern is that the rabbit hole will bore right into the septic tank.

Longinus and KirkusOveractus like this.
  2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I would hope they don't have the Sentient Holographic Mirrors violating the Sentient Cannons. I think that's against the Geneva Convention of 2155, and would probably rate at least TV-MA due to how graphic that would be.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  3. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

So far, I have loved it all. So I am optimistic

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved "Mirror, Mirror", the Star Trek Continues sequel episode, the DC Comics "Mirror Universe Saga" and Diane Duane's Next Gen sequel novel "Dark Mirror".

The rest was crap. If this turns out to be a DS9-style excuse to show Burnham in tight leather, lezzing out in a pathetic attempt to tittilate teenage boys, I will be somewhat disappointed.

5. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kind of. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do the MU differently. It was always just a place where nothing really mattered to our universe, that needs to change. There need to be better stakes for our crew. And if Stamets just opened up the MU, and we or the crew never really find out, or understand what's happening, that's cool with me too. Just do it differently. I'm not watching a bunch of Ferengi stumble around the MU anymore.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

ISS Discovery....Pirate ship of the Quadrant. Under the Dread Pirate Lorca.

He cares not for Imperial laws and just does whatever. Usually he raids Klingon worlds, but sometimes he'll go for booty in Imperial space because he can just jump in and out with his funky fungus drive.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the TOS and Enterprise Mirror Episodes, but having one in Season 1 of Discovery is completely unnecessary, they should have waited a season or two for it to stand on its out.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ISS Discovery...putting the "fun" in "fungus"!

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not really. I think the show should have found itself before showering in references and spinoffs of what came before.

KirkusOveractus likes this.
  10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wh? It's a spinoff, not its own show. The very idea is that it shouldn't require any "finding" and therefore is better at selling than an all-new work of creativity.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Tuskin38

It’s so thematically different from previous treks it’s practically its own show.

They should have waited until the show was on its own two feet before rehashing ideas.

DS9 and Enterprise were their own series before they got to their Mirror Universe episodes.

12. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully it's just one Mirror character crossing over and encountering "our" Discovery, and not making it back home alive.

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

How is doing Mirror Universe different from doing Klingons or Mind Melds or Space Battles? It's all Trek, and part of all Trek (save TAS).

Timo Saloniemi

14. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

If this show weren't relying just about entirely on familiarity for its appeal it wouldn't even be on Netflix. :lol:

15. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

"Mirror, Mirror" is one of my favorite TOS episodes, and although I'm curious as to what they'll do in DSC (there are photos of the Discovery having an ISS Discovery plaque), I'm not really that excited about it.

This series doesn't seem to be geared for single episode things (and Frakes hinted at the Mirror Universe being in episodes, not just one), adding to that this series doesn't quite yet have solid ground with characters and overall direction, it feels more like an unwelcome diversion, IMO.

16. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Might be an interesting story if, rather than it being the MU we expect, we saw a universe identical to our own except that Michael never killed T'Kuvma. What would that look like? Would be very tempting for the writers to exculpate her, by showing that things would be just as bad or worse, but imagine if there was no war and that universe seemed like a better place.

17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not looking forward to it personally. The whole point of the MU (except the first episode in TOS to a certain exten) was to allow for the cast to show off their acting range by doing a diametrically opposite kind of role. I don't think this cast is well established enough yet to pull that off properly.

18. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not massively excited about it. Intrigued where this might be going, but the mirror universe causes problems in anal reasoning center. I just can't make it fit with cosmology as I understand it. Mirror Mirror was fun.

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  19. Tuskin38

Mirror Universe is a Star Trek trope, not essential to the series. Note that TNG and Voyager didn’t do them.

Discovery doing a mirror Universe episode is out of place this early in the series.

20. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Would doing a remake of naked time as your second episode be too early to do that?