So, anyone excited about Mirror Universe episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Rich, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Rich

Rich Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So far I am really enjoying Discovery, I can deal with it being grimdark trek and there being alot of redesigns being thrown around. I am loving the plot so far but then I hear that there could be potential Mirror Universe episodes. In the first season. I am a massive fan of the MU especially Mirror Mirror and In a Mirror Darkly.

So yeah I was just wondering what other fans thoughts were about it potentially coming up. I admit the show is already dark as it is, but come on who doesn't love a bit of Terran Empire action.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not particularly. Though I'm hoping for a different take than "everyone is eeeeevil"

Feron, KirkusOveractus and Longinus like this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm totally looking forward to it. Bring on the Terran Empire and the ISS Discovery! :devil:

Feron likes this.
  4. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I'm hyped. Could be a lot of fun, and Discovery could use some fun. They used Harry Mudd well, so hopefully the same will hold true for the MU.

The scene in Stamets quarters made me wonder if it might be a different sort of Mirror Universe than the one we're expecting.

5. Rich

I assume Lorca will be a nice guy if he is the captain.

Rhodan likes this.
  6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I am not.

Hopefully they prove my disinterest wrong and do something really interesting with it.

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  7. Rich

I like that you mentioned Mudd I thought he would be awful when I heard they were including him, well I was very wrong. The guy is such a lovable scumbag after just one appearance.

Feron likes this.
  8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Not really. It makes no sense whatsoever, and DS9 ran the concept into the ground.

Still, Enterprise showed that it can be worthwhile if particularly well done, so I won't dismiss it out of hand.

SpocksOddSocks and Longinus like this.
  9. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No. I would be excited if they had a decent idea other than mining familiar old Trek cliches.

BillJ likes this.
  10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm unconvinced this is where they are going.

11. nutshell

nutshell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What if the Discovery we're watching IS the mirror universe and the episode we get is an idealistic, positive and upbeat version of Discovery???

Griffeytrek likes this.
  12. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Frakes is trolling us. The Discovery will be thrown into a universe populated by sentient mirrors.

13. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved his very old school exit from the episode. "YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THE LAST OF HARCOURT FENTON MUDD!"

Honestly, after it's one-off appearance in TOS, I have never been fond of any return trip to that era. Not even the uber-nostalgia fnaservicey In a Mirror, Darkly did much for me beyond the very service level idea of seeing new TOS stuff.

14. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

Not really, the show's already dark enough. Besides, there's a limited amount of episodes and we've barely even seen the regular version of these character yet.

SpocksOddSocks, BillJ and Longinus like this.
  15. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

I am really, I so want to see how far down the rabbit hole this is gonna go.

16. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

The Mirror Universe has always come across as rather cartoony, and frankly, rather nonsensical.

In a weird way, it’s humans behaving the way they think Klingons behave, except if people really behaved like that, they could never hold together long enough to forge an Empire (Terran or Klingon).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    SpocksOddSocks and OpenMaw like this.
  17. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Sentient holographic mirrors.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Canon violation.

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not really.

I liked TOS - "Mirror, Mirror" but it should have remained a one off (The DS9 Mirror episodes are god-awful; and while I enjoyed seeing a Starship/Constitution Class rendered in a then modern Star Trek series I could take or leave ENT - "In A Mirror Darkly".

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  20. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

How's this going to work? Like with previous showings the fine upstanding crew become dark. With Discovery will they be even more dark or will they actually be nice?

Longinus likes this.