News Smallville complete series finally coming to blu-ray

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 28, 2021.

1. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

That sucks. :( The duplicate/missing disc thing is apparently a common problem, and is presumably at least part of the reason it's out of stock everywhere.

I lucked up and got a good set. Planning to start my complete series rewatch next week.

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Ordered mine on Amazon UK. Should come around December.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Don't forget your concussion counter.

dupersuper and The Realist like this.
  4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I just have the 10th season in BD (got it for Christmas shortly after it came out.) Not entirely sure if I'd want to rebuy this entire series on BD. Hell, it's been a while since I've watched the DVDs of it. It was a fun series to watch while it was on, and I may well watch through it again, but it seems fairly "spent" to have a BD set come out at this point especially with physical media itself fading away, (Which is sad unto itself, but I also think I'm done collecting copies of movies/shows anyway.)

5. The Realist

I will support and embrace physical media till the last, and I'm very grateful to have this Blu-ray set on my shelf.

6. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be ten times cheaper for Warner and much better customer service if they just sent you the missing disc.

7. thribs

They have done that before with the ‘66 Batman set

8. LaxScrutiny

I bought an album from them around two years ago. Months later they sent me an email that their servers were hacked and countless customers' credit card info was compromised. They paid for Equifax (Canadian credit rating agency) to monitor everyone's credit for a year.

A charge showed up on my bill for Spotify just before I heard from them. I emailed Spotify and they were great, the charge was reversed the next day. At least I found out how it happened and got a new card.

ETA: Found the email. It was August 2020 actually.

9. LaxScrutiny

And just to mention to those doing a rewatch after a decade or so, seeing Jenson Ackles really blew me away when I rewatched last year.

10. The Realist

For me, the weirdest “sighting” is Amy Adams as a meteor freak of the week in an early episode.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree, she doesn't look 20 years older when you look at her now

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  12. The Realist

Finally started my long-delayed Smallville rewatch. I'm only two episodes in, but I'm having an even better time than I expected. The show is a blast, and really well-produced, allowing for the special effects limitations of 20 years ago. Rosenbaum is still the show's MVP, his every scene somehow mixing slyness and sincerity in perfect balance, but I'm also finding Welling more appealing than I remembered. In fact, most of the cast is pretty great, including Allison Mack -- watching her, she's so talented, and one can only ask, "What the hell happened?"

Looking forward to the next 215 (!) episodes.

USS Firefly and LaxScrutiny like this.
  13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Maybe you should do a rewatch thread?

I'd join you, but I just cherry-picked my favorites when my disks came, as I did a whole run on Amazon not that long ago -- like right after SnL was first announced.

I'm sure I'd have a lot to say. I know that if I ever start a YouTube channel, my very first video is going to be "Smallville: Smarter Than You Remember".

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  14. LaxScrutiny

Saturday Night Live?

Anyway, I agree with what I understood there. :)

Sketcher likes this.
  15. The Realist

Not sure I'm disciplined enough to commit to a rewatch thread, but I may well continue to post errant thoughts and observations here as I go along.

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the show for what it was, but - especially as the premise dragged on beyond reason - it would almost have to be...

17. LaxScrutiny

The problem I had with Smallville at the time was basically the pace. You wait a week for an episode, then a couple of weeks because of Superbowl or whatever, then even longer over Xmas and New Years, and don't talk to me about summer reruns.

The show was always one step forward, two steps back. Other than that, there were a lot of great episodes, and I gave a shit about the characters.

When I did a binge re-watch last year, most of the issues disappeared. I could watch each episode one after the other, usually in bunches, and it became a coherent narrative. I could see what they were doing, where they were going, and enjoy the great bits along the way. That's not even mentioning The Magnificent Bastard. John Glover played one of the best characters ever.

This was a show that existed years before Arrowverse. It gave me the superhero team-ups I always dreamed of and never thought I would see on screen.

Too bad that a show I liked couldn't be a show I adored, just because they were dragging out certain storylines for as long as possible. But watching it all as basically a single story over the course of just a few weeks of COVID lockdown here, it was really, really damned good.

And I still got chills down my spine when I heard the announcer say, "And now, the series finale of Smallville."

I wasn't disappointed.

The Realist likes this.
  18. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Me too, and I got goosebumps when the great Superman theme starts at the end. I almost wanted to rewatch the show again

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  19. thribs

I got my copy finally. Taking @Enterprise is Great advice, I went through the sets and checked all the discs. I seem to have them all. The code was also intact and redeemed with no issues.
    I watched the pilot for the first time (I’ve seen them all except that one) and I enjoyed it. I didn’t realise how disastrous the meteor shower was. I suppose it makes sense with all the Kryptonite freaks there were. I also liked the foreshadowing there was with the Queen disappearance on the newspaper and Lana’s necklace. Foreshadowing what eventually happens between Clark and Lana.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  20. The Realist

FYI, the version of the pilot accessed from the main menu is an edited version of the original broadcast pilot which was bonus-length. The complete version is available on disc one's extras menu (though it's in SD resolution, since some genius at WB apparently prepared their HD master using only the shorter version).