Should they have made movies about the DS9, Voyager or Enterprise Crews?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by The Overlord, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll admit that it could've been done if they zeroed in on one or two things (A-plot and B-plot) instead of trying to cover all of it. Some people might not have gotten what they wanted but it would've been something.

2. Vger23

Vger23 Commodore Commodore

I think the novelverse and comics are the best place for following up on the casts of the various shows, etc. I don't think major movies would have held their ground. Heck, the TNG cast was very popular and beloved, and those movies were mediocre at best (most would argue one good one and 3 horrible ones). The other series were not nearly as popular or broadly well-known in pop culture.

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

If Paramount Television (later CBS Studios) was interested in doing any to be aired on SyFy or Showtime.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

Fan projects like Of Gods and Men and Renegades are pretty much what I imagine a bargain-basement SyFy Trek movie would be.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Actually, I'd imagine that Paramount (or CBS) would make the movie for about the same budget of any of the TV shows, Discovery's budget in particular. But you're probably right.

6. Ceridwen

Ceridwen Commodore Commodore

I'm still not convinced they should have done The Next Generation films.

7. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think the decision to do them was correct, it's just the execution that was lacking.

Shaka Zulu and Ceridwen like this.
  8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before Star Trek was rested, it should've at least celebrated the 40th Anniversary back in 2006, with a kind of Generations II on steroids.

I would've set it decades after Nemesis about one last mission for an Admiral Picard. Not all his friends and colleagues are still around. So he picks people he's familiar with to be the senior staff aboard an Enterprise-E brought out of mothball. This means you can have selected TNG/DS9/VOY characters. There's a stopover at the Cardassian space station to pick up a special V.I.P.

Plot wise you throw in a reason to refer to some historic event ENT participated in, like the Romulan War and establish in a short scenes how it is the source of some grievance for the antagonist. I hate pointless easter eggs and absurd levels of verbal exposition... so damning evidence from the 2160's is presented, meaning the likes of Archer can actually appear, despite being long dead by the early 25th Century. Although I would probably push for an elderly Shran as a living witness to defend humanity and just say Andorians can out live even Vulcans.

Meanwhile and most importantly of all, TOS is represented by Spock, who's trying to bring a surviving faction of Romulans into the Federation.

Et voilá! All your fanbases are covered, and a not overly convoluted reason why they have to work together.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 12:08 PM
    DataRules and Shaka Zulu like this.
  9. DataRules

DataRules Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think a two-part mini-series every three-five years, rotating between the different casts would have been perfect. Every show would have a chance at a post-series life. And I would have happily watched on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, or some other network.