Should the Picard Show ignore ST-2009 destruction of Romulus?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Phil123, Aug 18, 2018.

?

Should the Picard Show ignore Romulus destination from ST-2009

1. Yes - a nice attempt to tie the reboot to prime, but keep it part of the Kelvinverse future

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. No - they said it happened in prime so it did.

99 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I love that:lol:

Ketrick and Qonundrum like this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Now the Feds can use Romulunite against the Romulans

Terok Nor likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Doesn't matter either way to me. Just tell good stories.

4. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not entirely convinced that Prime Spock is actually the Spock of the universe we know. Then again, I'm not entirely convinced that he isn't. But it sure would be fun if they decided he wasn't!

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It's equally conceivable the big splodey thing took place in all universes. Like the spatial rift trap in TOS' "The Tholian Web".

6. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

The only things missing are a stick and a bag of marshmallows to roast over that open fire... :eek:

:devil:

7. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The point was to tie old Star Trek (as in, the franchise) with new Star Trek (at the time only represented by movies). Other than the credits where it says "Spock Prime" it doesn't mean that he came from Prime universe. Have we seen something like Nero's ship before? Or jellyfish ship? Have we seen bold Romulans with tatoos before? For all we know in Vulcan, Prime means "old" or "different" and it wasn't meant to signify prime universe.
    I do sure hope that Picard's show ignores event of Kelvin movies altogether.

Phil123 likes this.
  8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Wait, Superman's allergic to toast...?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Bit of a spit in the face to Nimoy, since those were his last outings as Spock.

10. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure. I'm sort expecting they will address it, but I would also be fine if they just ignore it. There's already certain differences between the "Abrams Prime" and what we see from 1966-2005 (yes I know there's differences within that period as well). Either way, we'll find out when it premiers.

11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

It was a bad creative decision on JJ's part but it's the baggage that prime has to carry. At least prime still has Vulcan.

12. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is going to be an AWESOME story!

It starts with a long retired Jean-Luc Picard looking to go on 3 hour tour of the stellar nether regions of Vogon space. The trek is commanded by Captain Jonas Grumby of the Star Minnow along with his Number One, Mr. Gilligan. A cosmic storm comes upon them and the tiny ship is tossed. If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Star Minnow would be lost. Andy Dick has already been signed as Mr. Gilligan.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yes, and the way they did that was to have TOS Spock go back in time to inadvertently create a new universe, thereby giving future writers carte blanche to create new stories that didn't interfere with 40+ years of Star Trek canon.

The term "prime universe" came from this very credit. Of course old Spock is the same guy as TOS Spock! Why on Earth would they use that term for any other reason?

The last time we saw the post-TNG prime universe was seven years before in Star Trek: Nemesis. Anything could have happened in that time.

Except "prime universe" isn't a Vulcan term. It's a term created by Paramount/CBS to refer to the Star Trek universe we'd seen up until the Kelvin timeline was created.

Ketrick likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

At this point, Prime is being bent to mean more and more things that is beyond original intent. So, from now on, Abrams Trek is Prime and the rest is fan fiction. It makes as much sense.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

They shouldn't stop with the destruction of Romulus. The new Picard Series should be post-apocalyptic. Or should that be post-galactalyptic? :evil:

Just kidding. Or am I? Picard vs. Total Dystopia. With only his Speeches as his Mighty Sword.

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

The producers - one of whom was responsible for the destruction of Romulus - would be idiots to ignore it. It's the single most dramatic event that they could use to springboard whatever interstellar issues Picard has to deal with, and it has the virtue of fitting completely into existing continuity and canon with neither retcon nor reboot, nor implausibility.

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Prime Spock had a picture of the TOS crew circa the 5th TOS movie among his possessions in Star Trek Beyond.

Those designs originated 8 years after Nemesis, so I'm not sure what your point is. We haven't seen any designs past Nemesis in canon.

Jerikka Dawn and Ketrick like this.
  18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Nero and his people were blue collar workers. Most of the time Romulans are shown as either politicians or soldiers. We saw a few common folk in Unification and that's about it. These miners look different due to their status in society. It was nice to see Romulans that didn't have the Herman Munster haircuts for a change..

fireproof78 likes this.
  19. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nimoy's last outing as Spock prior to his death was voicing Spock in Family Guy The Quest for Stuff, about a year after Star Trek Into Darkness..

20. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But is it baggage if they can make an interesting story out of it? If you think that story is lemon, why can't they make lemonade from it from it? I think its a good way to set up a interesting challenge for Picard.

Agreed. I really think the state of Federation Romulan relations was the big hanging plot thread from the TNG era. The Klingons are still allies of the Federation, the Cardassians are likely a Federation protectorate, the Dominion likely does not want to start a conflct with the Federation for a long while and the Borg have been dealt a crippling blow. The Romulans were a consistent threat in the TNG era, Section 31 said the Federation and the Romulan Empire would be the only major powers left after the Dominion War, Spock worked to unify the Romulan and Vulcan people, Sisko was duped by Garak into setting up a trap that killed a Romulan Ambassador that led to their involvement in the Domionion war, Nemesis suggested there may be a peace between the Romulans and the Federation in the future, but that was not set in stone.

The destruction of Romulus could be the thing be the thing that sets the course for Romulan Federation relations, either leading to a final peace or setting the Romulans up as a rogue destructive force that will do anything to retain what remains of their Empire and now rely more on direct conflict then diplomatic games and maneuvers. I would also like to see more of the planets the Romulans subjected, how species are in the Romulan Empire as subservant classes to the Romulans?

Jerikka Dawn likes this.