Should "Discovery" embrace "TOS" style music?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, May 13, 2018.

1. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Funnily enough, I am still catching up on the Orville (calm down Orville fans, I am busy) and the music in that is really good, the episode with Alara facing her fears had a soundtrack that echoed many goldsmith scores (alien in particular) and I was sad when I found no album on iTunes.
    DSC could do with a shot of that, it would definitely help its mis-en-scene. (calm down DSC fans, I ain’t getting into that fight.)

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  2. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but we'l finally see the fabled auto cleaning hoover jobby on the ship

3. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say "embrace" but I do not mind callbacks to TOS, music included.

Vger23 and CaptainMurdock like this.
  4. Donker

Donker Commander Red Shirt

Kor and CaptainMurdock like this.
  5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes but would it appeal to the CBSAA target audience?

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Aging fanboys?

Ronald Held likes this.
  7. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I thought THEY all watched The Orville..............

seigezunt, JoeP, gblews and 2 others like this.
  8. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised we made it through the whole first season without hearing the Amok Time music. With all the other callbacks, you know it's coming.

seigezunt, ATimson and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Just wait, Michael and Spock are going to throw down!

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're right. Elevator music has something more to it than a bland single note played over and over again for seven years.

seigezunt and Lord Garth like this.
  11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope they just stay away from the 'sonic wallpaper' music style of the latter TNG seasons. I don't care to see them reuse or copy TOS era music per se; but I'd rather see them adopt a cimeatic film style for music then what we got for the TNG era under Berman's watch; (the man didn't seem to realize how much a real good/focused score could ADD to a scene/episode.)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Lord Garth likes this.
  12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course not. Other than the iconic opening and closing credits music, none of the in-show music is really worth repeating literally, and stylistically. Most of it was that '60 's style "adventure" music heard on most action shows of that era.

As great as the show was, the music, other than the opening and closing themes, was mundane and quite forgettable.

13. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

What it needs is TOS style moments.
    Where could you even fit those old music cues in to a show like Discovery?
    The rising terror cue, the shocking realization cue, the majesty of flight flute arpeggio establishing shot cue, the ominous calm atmosphere cue, and yes, the driving ritual combat music.
    Discovery doesn't have Star Trek scenes, so Star Trek music won't fit.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could easily have inserted TOS's "exotic dancer" music into the scenes in the Orion club in the finale.

CaptainMurdock and Jadeb like this.
  15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Use TOS music for TOS characters and the 1701?

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I'd have to disagree. TOS still does have some of the best scores and background music of any of the Trek franchise shows over the past 5 years. TNG has ONE story (two episodes) in that vien, and that's TNG: "Best of Both Worlds".

TOS - "The Doomsday Machine" is practically scored like a feature film (IE the Doomsday Machine has it's theme that's played when it's on screen, the 1701 has it's own theme, and the cross over when both are on screen, etc.)

In many TOS episodes the music is its own character, and you just don't get that during the TNG (and later) Berman era of Trek.

Ronald Held, CaptainMurdock and Kor like this.
  17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I can kick back, relax with a martini, close my eyes, and listen to the entire score for many TOS episodes. Not so with TNG onward.

Kor

Vger23 and CaptainMurdock like this.
  18. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it'a edgy?

19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

it's funny you say that. I find The Orville's music one of the awful elements of the program(and there's not many becuase it's a relatively fun show). It always reminds me of what a 12 year old boy would have come up with for his super-awesome, super-funny space adventure show in outer spaaaaaccce!

20. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

Honestly, scanning this post, I assumed the intent was that the DSC opening and closing were iconic and the in-show music was worthless because - although I disagree - that's a defensible position.
    The TOS opening and closing credits are iconic, but the in-show music was what really worked. Literally the opposite of mundane and forgettable: imaginative/exciting and unforgettable. It sold the 60's adventure tone, which IS Star Trek (the TOS era completely, less so in the sequels series, but still a part of the equation). The DSC Elevator Scene with TOS Fight music added is infinitely more exciting and fun, one might say adventurous. I've got no problems with the DSC score itself, in the same way I have no problems with the Berman Era Sonic Wallpaper, of which it basically is the 2010s equivalent. It's fine. It's fine. It's... fine. It's fine.

Kor, Ronald Held and CaptainMurdock like this.