Short Treks now on Netflix!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Roald, Jan 17, 2019.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the last two more than the first two.

2. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FINALLY!
    That was really, really dumb of them not to publish earlier. Wonder if it's CBS that finally gave in, or Netflix that just didn't care for their competitors property?

3. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Maybe Netflix couldn't get behind creating fanfare for one fifteen minute episode a month? Dropping them all in one go made sense, especially as a warm-up to S2 of Discovery.

I just find it strange that it was hidden away amongst the trailers, as opposed to having its own page.

Grendelsbayne and XCV330 like this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

They're not super easy to find on CBS AA, either, but CBS AA's layout is not the best I've seen, anyway.

Seven of Five likes this.
  5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think it's pretty obvious that they were waiting for the second season premiere to drop and do them all at once.

MvRojo likes this.
  6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really. If it was planned this way all along, there's really no logical reason not to just say so. Especially once people started asking questions. And I'm not even talking about advertising them or creating fanfare or anything, but just a simple 'Yes, Short Treks will be released on Netflix eventually.'

No idea what exactly happened here - whether it was caused by Netflix or by CBS or a fundamental rift between them both. But it was a dumb way to handle things, regardless of the fact that I am certainly glad I can now actually watch them.

As for the episodes themselves, I find Calypso a little overrated but probably still the best of the bunch. I really enjoyed Runaway, so don't get the comments on that one. I'd put Brightest Star at the bottom of the bunch - not that it was bad, but very cliched and small universe syndromish as well as not really consistent with the previous information we'd gotten about Kelpians. Escape Artist was pure fluff, but it was hilarious fluff with a good 'Mudd-ish' premise.

Rahul likes this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also note they were added to Netflix with zero fanfare. No red notification box. I wouldn't know if not for people here.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  8. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I just don't think Netflix is used to people caring about bonus content quite this much. Trekkies are treating these shorts like a really big deal, but to a Netflix exec, they're just extra webisodes like shows have had for years and often not made across the pond. I've still never seen the extra content for many shows from my lifetime.

JoeP likes this.
  9. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed on all accounts! Both how weird it was handled - but also my opinion on the shorts!

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes there is as Trek fans are vocal, so Netflix didn't want to deal with the "That's STUPID!" social media response en masse or possibly massive letter writing campaigns - meaning they'd have to hire/spend resources disposing of this junk mail.

11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's stupid.

But seriously, you think they didn't get those letters by staying silent? I guarantee you they'd have had more peace and quiet from just saying 'the Short Treks will be released on Netflix together at the start of the second season.'