She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 19, 2018.

1. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"You know, it's a quite strange that this She-Ra gal appeared exactly when Adora decided to defect and we never see them together. Oh well, I suppose it's just some kind of coincidence. Let's listen Bow playing the lyre or whatever this thing is."

[​IMG]

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I never got why She-Ra even needed a secret identity. Normally a secret ID is to protect your friends and family, but all of Adora's friends were in the rebel army with her, so they were equally in danger by associating with Adora as they were with She-Ra. And the rebels would've had more reason to trust Adora as their leader if it didn't seem to them that she disappeared whenever a fight started.

Skipper likes this.
  3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well obviously it's so they could sell two She-Ra toys instead of just one. Plus the whole magic sword transformation thing is a carryover from the He-Man cartoon and gives them an excuse to play the theme music and recycled footage in the third act.

4. Skipper

Out-universe, it is evident that they wanted to replicate in some way the formula of He-Man and the Masters of Universe and I suppose they adhered to the theory that viewers love characters with a secret identities, because in some way they can identify in them (empowerment fantasies and so on). In-universe, yes, it makes no sense. Instead He-Man had every reason to keep his real identity a secret.

...yes?

5. Skipper

This is a good reason to have a "powered" alter ego, not to keep it a secret. And they never made an "Adora" toy.

6. Christopher

Yes, that much is a given. My point is, they didn't come up with a plausible justification for it in-story.

Well, the original She-Ra figure did have a tiara that could be flipped over to become a cumbersome mask, so there was a sort of a "secret identity" angle to it in a weird way.

7. Skipper

In this way the bad guys had to divide their forces to search TWO enemies instead of one..? Or perhaps she believed that if their enemies knew that Adora and She-ra are the same person, they could suspect the same of Adam and He-man? (I vaguely remember that their respective baddies knew each other).

Sorry I have no better ideas...

Shaka Zulu and CorporalCaptain like this.
  8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Really? Well that's just seems like bad business planning, especially for a property specifically created to sell toys.

9. Skipper

Yep. They made it only in the 2010

[​IMG]

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I think everyone back in the day knew She-Ra was a "girl's show" but we watched it anyway.

I did think it was a little funny how he talked about how male superheroes usually wear pants when She-Ra's counterpart He-Man does not. Though watching Superfriends and Cyborg, Robin, Samurai, Apache Chief, Black Vulcan and so on did not either. Maybe we were less uptight and innocent back then.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, this is being done by one of the creators of Lumberjanes?! I love Lumberjanes, so knowing that definitely makes me much more interested.

12. Christopher

I don't know about the others, but Robin was bare-legged because his costume was designed in 1940, a time when it was customary for boys to wear short pants and switching to full-length trousers was seen as a rite of passage to adulthood. (As in the old song from the era -- "My momma done tol' me / When I was in knee pants.")

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  13. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably because it was a kid's TV show made under the premise people wouldn't overthink it or ask awkward questions which didn't matter.

BillJ likes this.
  14. Skipper

And still it did make sense in the He-Man cartoon.

15. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

So?

I'm pretty sure you could watch the first five minutes and pick twenty holes in it because it was never meant to hold up an adult's critical analysis.

These things were fun, they have nostalgia value for adults to watch who grew up with them, but attempting to meaningfully critique them is just silly. What's next? Looking at Jack and Jill's motivations or applying a Freudian lens to Zippy and Bungle?

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Worrying about that stuff is like complaining about why cartoon rabbits can talk and pass for hot chicks when in drag.

CorporalCaptain and Spot261 like this.
  17. Christopher

Asking questions is what children do. It's how they learn. Children are very perceptive. They notice things, they wonder about things, they try to figure things out. They're a damn sight better at adults than remembering the difference between imagination and reality, because they use their own imaginations all the time, but that doesn't mean they're too stupid to wonder about the flaws in a work of imagination. On the contrary, it means they're the experts at imagination, so if you want to offer them something creative, they deserve nothing less than your best effort. Just as children always deserve the best we can offer them.

18. Skipper

Because in the Looney Toons universe this is a perfect disguise. And it's a universe with laws that aren't totally random. They are so coded that they created a rpg on them.

[​IMG]

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  19. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    No. That's an idealization of children bearing little if any resemblance to reality.

Whoosh...

Spot261 likes this.
  20. Christopher

I find that children live up or down to what we expect of them. So it's tragic to expect too little of them.

mos6507 likes this.