She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 19, 2018.

1. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Synopsis:
    She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the story of an orphan named Adora (Carrero), who leaves behind her former life in the evil Horde when she discovers a magic sword that transforms her into the mythical warrior princess She-Ra. Along the way, she finds a new family in the Rebellion as she unites a group of magical princesses in the ultimate fight against evil.

[​IMG]

Cast Announcement:
    http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/18/she-ra-netflix-cast-photo-reveal/

I'm really looking forward to this, it was about time that the booming nostalgia market hit something that was super important to my childhood, though it's also interesting it's being made by people who have no nostalgia for the property because they were born well after it was made ;)

The show will debut on Netflix sometime this year.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've only heard of a very few of those performers, and the only ones whose work I've seen/heard, as far as I can recall, are Karen Fukuhara and Genesis Rodriguez.

It's interesting how the reworked title of the series (from She-Ra: Princess of Power to She-Ra and the Princesses of Power) echoes the title structure of the original's parent show, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

3. dahj

I just noticed Spirit/Swfit Wind isn't listed in the voice cast.
    No talking horse-unicorn? I'm deleting this thread immediately! :D

4. Christopher

I just hope that in this version, there's some significant visual difference between Adora and She-Ra besides longer hair and a change of clothes. Or better yet, that they ditch the secret-identity conceit altogether. I never really got why she needed one, given that both her identities were openly fighting the Horde. And it never made sense that the rebellion would accept Adora as their leader even though, as far as they knew, she always disappeared and left things to She-Ra every time there was a battle.

Anwar and Shaka Zulu like this.
  5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

This looks like it could be pretty good.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Given that the Horde abducted Adora from Eternia as an infant and she's the daughter of royalty, I'd assume it's the same reason He-Man uses Adam as his identity (and Clark Kents it no less :biggrin:). Having them be distinct personalities offers the family some degree of protection.

As far as the rebellion accepting Adora too readily, for me the issue is the fact that before He-Man arrived, she was a willing (if somewhat coerced) member of the Horde who genuinely thought they were providing order on Etheria. I know the comics have taken a somewhat different take on She-Ra, and I don't have enough experience to judge the differences. But on a more realistic level and less cartoony level, the rebels would be wary of Adora wanting to join them even with He-Man's support in the beginning.

For anyone interested, here's a cool video. :D

7. Christopher

But that's just it -- Adora's "civilian" identity offers her and her family no protection, because she's openly as much an enemy of the Horde as She-Ra is. In fact, she's theoretically the leader of the rebellion, while She-Ra is just this secret weapon who shows up for all the battles. So if anything, Adora would be a bigger target for Hordak than She-Ra is, especially given that she betrayed him.

It says "Orchestral," but it sounds like a synth imitation of an orchestra, and not a particularly good one.

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Live action? This will either be really, absolutely awesome and amazing beyond belief... or horrendously godawful.

Kor

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  9. dahj

Well one could argue that the eventual goal was to overthrow the Horde, and then Adora could lead in peace but She-Ra might still be needed from time to time, so she was protecting her future civilian life.

It might also be possible she was protecting He-Man's identity, if Hordak found out Adora was She-Ra, he might come to the conclusion that her twin brother is He-Man and exploit that information for nefarious purposes.

No, it's a cartoon.

10. Christopher

You don't think he could figure that out just from their names? He-Man, She-Ra -- there's a pretty clear pattern. Besides, I'm not sure they ever kept it a secret in the show anyway. And how exactly do you threaten The Most Powerful Man in the Universe?

11. dahj

A trap door? :shrug:

Worked for all his underlings. :D

12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

There a reason for that:

;)

Thowra and Caretaker like this.
  13. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

James Eatock, who seems to have seen the series bible for Netflix She-Ra, talks about it in "Fans of Power" episode 134 (this is around 30 minutes into the episode) There's also discussion about "Return of Faker" - the release of which is being delayed until next year and discussion of the undeveloped He-Ro: Land of Legend.

https://tinyurl.com/y7saap4v

14. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

It's already getting nasty commentary from commenters about 'political correctness', 'forcing a left-wing agenda down my throat', etc. as shown here, just because of the actors cast as the voices of the characters.:rolleyes:

I wish that these people would just find something right-wing and all white to watch, but there's nothing on the air for them, and people like these don't have the gumption to create something like this on their own.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those people are idiots, that is a great cast.
    Holy shit, I didn't realize Whoopi Goldberg did voices for Robot Chicken.

16. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I was initially concerned as it seems to ignore He-Man's role as a launching point for She-Ra. Then I got thinking it might be interesting if they flip storyline from the 1986 series and have Adora be the the first to discover her powers.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Stephen!

Hordak seems to have a short memory. In the episode "He aint Heavy", he captures Adam, confiscates his sword and doesn't even seem to remember that was anything significant about it.

There's also the New Adventures of He-Man episode, "Adam's adventure". Skeletor doesn't even recognise Adam at all.

18. dahj

My memory may be a bit faulty, but I don't remember them ever doing an episode where someone tries to figure out He-Man's or She-Ra's true identity. As I recall, in universe everybody just assumed they're always He-Man and She-Ra, they just go away for a bit from time to time, especially when Adam and Adora are around :D

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  19. Stephen!

The closest they did with that was the season 2 episode, "Mistaken Identity". A kid that tricks his girlfriend into thinking that he is He-Man. Modulok overhears this and then captures the kid, thinking he's actually captured He-Man.

In "Quest for the Sword" Teela comments about how she's never seen Adam and He-Man together. Other than that, Teela generally seems oblivious for the most part. In "The Eternia Flower" there's a barrier that comes up between Adam and Teela. Adam changes into He-Man, knocks over the barrier and Teela doesn't seem the least bit suspicious.

20. Christopher

That sort of thing happened a lot on The Incredible Hulk in the '70s-'80s. Like when David turned into the Hulk in the cockpit of a 747 or in the back seat of a cab and nobody connected the man to the creature. Or that time he was alone in the desert with some women's-prison escapees and they found David wearing the same tattered shirt and sporting the same hand injury that they'd seen the Hulk sustain minutes earlier, and nobody connected them. I think there was even a nametag on the shirt!

Shaka Zulu likes this.