She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, May 19, 2018.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What, like Roseanne? I get what you're saying but I think it's disingenuous to suggest they could just make and watch this proposed show without being bothered. I think it's just a consequence of the world today that comments are going to be made no matter which way the dial gets turned.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  2. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The animation look is much better than that of the upcoming new Thundercats show.
    I notice in articles I read that this property, like Voltron airing on Netflix, is owned by Dreamworks.
    Seems Dreamworks bought up a few properties from the 80s while no one was really paying attention.
    Do they have He-Man as well? I'm assuming the two properties are co-mingled but maybe they aren't.

I'm curious to check this out and hope it does well like Voltron. Maybe we get a new He-Man a few years from now as well!

5. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The Filmation library has passed thru several owners during the last few years. A British company "Classic Media" bought the library from Entertainment Rights, who were responsible for the dvd releases of He-Man, She-Ra, and other productions thru BCI Home Video, that were wholly owned by the studio. Dreamworks Animation bought out Classic Media in 2012 putting the library under their control.
    Comcast/Universal then acquired Dreamworks Animation in 2016.

6. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm surprised at how young they all look, like they're in their early teens or so.

8. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

They look like actual teenagers. Most depictions of teenagers cast adults or in animation draw them as adults for some reason.

Although this has lead to some controversy on Twitter as grown men are upset that She-Ra isn’t sexy enough. She’s 16.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  9. Christopher

Yeah, but my point is, in the original show they actually were adults. The He-Man series bible says that Adam first became He-Man on his 18th birthday, and we know Adora is his twin sister. When He-Man starts, He-Man has been active and fighting Skeletor for some time, and She-Ra premiered 2 real-world years and 130 episodes later. So it follows that Adora was probably in her early 20s during the original series. She and all the other core characters were grownups doing grownup things, leading armies and nations. So I'm surprised to see them reinterpreted as teenagers, not just drawn that way.

Thowra likes this.
  10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a couple more:

She-Ra
    [​IMG]

Bright Moon
    [​IMG]

Kemaiku likes this.
  11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think there's a line of demarcation for some shows. Teenage characters under 14 or 13 are sometimes drawn very young, while some over 15 are really drawn as just young adults. Maybe it's a holdover from the time when many cartoons were based on action figure toylines although it can be traced back even earlier than that, dunno.
    I doubt the show is really being made for them. Even though this is a remake of an old property, I think the goal is to do so for a new generation and not for the original one. Those that aren't hung up on the original character designs are probably very welcome to come along, though--there will likely be a number of Easter Eggs for them from the original series here and there.

Shaka Zulu and USS Triumphant like this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've kind of gotten the impression that this is geared more toward young girls, so I have a feeling making the characters hot probably never even entered the creator's minds.
    I honestly find it a bit creepy that was even brought up in the context of a show like this. I mean brought up by the guys complaining, not brought up in this thread.

13. Skipper

Skipper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  14. Awesome Possum

Were guys even the target audience of the original? I was too young to remember it, but it seemed like it was marketed to girls while He-Man was marketed to boys. The toys were basically Barbie with a sword IIRC. The whole thing just seems like another example of toxic male geeks claiming ownership of something that never belonged to them in the first place and getting upset that it isn't marketed solely to them.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  15. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I don't like that art style. It looks better than the new Thundercats style but not by much. I loved both He-Man and She-Ra as a kid and still enjoy them from time to time as an adult. I'll give this reboot a chance but it looks dumb so far. Why are modern children's cartoons so bad?

16. Awesome Possum

A lot of them are actually better than most cartoons from the 80s and 90s. I wish I had a show like Gravity Falls as a kid, it's basically X-Files meets Twin Peaks for kids. There's also Steven Universe and Adventure Time which are brilliant and goes places dramatically and emotionally that even some shows for adults won't go.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Skipper

So, let me get this straight: there are grown-ups out there that use the 80's version of She-Ra as their spank material and now they're angry because the new version doesn't fight evil with high heel boots, a short skirt and a D cup?

Didn't they invent DeviantArt for people like this..?

Anwar likes this.
  18. Awesome Possum

Some people don't get out much.

19. Skipper

By the way, I searched "She-Ra" on DeviantArt.

I regret it.

Anwar likes this.
  20. Christopher

The show was completely different from the toys. While it focused mainly on female heroines and villains, its storytelling was just as action-oriented as He-Man's, and the idea was to make something that appealed to both boys and girls, and that showed boys that they could look up to female action heroes as well as male ones. (The villains She-Ra faced in the show were part of the He-Man line in the toys.) If anything, She-Ra was a bigger badass than He-Man, because she was a warrior in both her identities, and because her enemy was the ex-boss of He-Man's enemy.

USS Triumphant likes this.