Spoilers Shazam! - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Mar 24, 2019.

?

Grade the Movie

1. A+

7.5%
  2. A

25.0%
  3. A-

27.5%
  4. B+

25.0%
  5. B

7.5%
  6. B-

2.5%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would love this done like the "Unbreakable" trilogy. 1st movie sets up and is all about the hero. 2nd movie sets up and is all about the villain. Then 3rd movie is them meeting and their conflict. (At this point, their meeting could be the 3rd Shazam film)

2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see a Mary Marvel spin off movie as well, for example the solo one can take place at Caltech during the school year, and then she can be home for the Holidays for the sequel. ;)

Sort of like a Marvel Family Cinematic Universe... (What? Is the name taken already? :p)

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well.. a Marvel Family United Film Universe.... Marvel F.U.F.U,

4. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That seems a perfect model to follow. Appropriate given both take place in Philadelphia too!

I really like that choice to use the real city of Philadelphia. Originally in the 1940s Captain Marvel Comics were vaguely implied to take place in New York. Like most other superheroes. Around the time of Crisis on Infinite Earths and the merging of Shazam’s Earth S into the regular DC Eath, the idea of Fawcett City was coined. Named for the original publisher.

I really enjoyed Jerry Ordway’s Power of Shazam series. He had Fawcett City protected by a magical spell. So that time passed much slower there. The architecture and fashion still looked like the 40s. But as his run went on modern influences started to become more evident in the City.

That was a nice idea for the comics but not needed for movies. Given the magical nature of the characters shooting on location in real locations helps grounds things. Which fits the emotional reality of the family drama and comedy. Plus with the Unbreakable trilogy and Rocky franchise Philly has become one of my favorite filming locations. Naming the school the kids attend - Fawcett Central, was a fitting homage to the comics.

6. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

- Don't know why they couldn't get Cavill but I'm one to agree that the cameo we got worked out better. Still not fond of that sequins outfit though.

- Wished they used Fawcett City.

- Nice to see the Marvel family at the end. Glad they didn't wait for the sequel.

- I was going to ask if the others' powers were permanent or just a one-time thing but it looks like a number of people here already answered that.

Growing up, I'd always see people getting their coats on and getting ready to leave when it looked like the movie was almost over and I've always wondered... Why the rush to leave so quickly?

Leo Star Dragon 1 likes this.
  7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this overall.

There are a lot of pluses. Levi as Super Billy was pitch perfect start to finish. Faithe Herman and Meagan Good both stole the show as their respective Darlas. Of the three other super-men, all three were impressive, but Super Pedro was the one who resonated with me the most; physically he underwent a significant body-type transformation.

Two aspects of Billy's growth were significant. Coming to grips with his disappointment with his mother was in and of itself heroic. Deciding to share his power with his foster family was also a moving breakthrough, all the more significant because they were already functioning as a team by that point.

In principle, the bus incident was important, but this is the segue to many of the issues I had in the film. For my taste, the film dragged in the section where Billy was learning his powers. That section was over for me when Billy figured out he could hide by turning back into a boy. Getting back to the bus incident, there was something off about the way that was handled. The way people just ignored Super Billy afterwards didn't play as authentic, even though I got it that apparently he was being shunned. The lesson itself, that goofing off with weapons is irresponsible, was a good one.

I also was skeptical that Billy's mom would have been able to hide while working under her maiden name.

My dad enjoyed this. On the way into the theater, he was saying how he hoped there would be a subway sequence. It seams that the wizard's cave being accessed by subway in the comics made quite an impression on him 75 years ago! :techman:

I think there's room for improvement, but the core elements are ready. I hope the entire cast can return. Also I enjoyed Captain Marvel significantly more, so I can't rank it quite that high.

B+.

P.S. Oh, I loved both the foster parents (Jerry! :hugegrin:). Also, Djimon Hounsou got to be in both Captain Marvel and Shazam! :lol:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Actually, Michelle Borth played the adult version of Mary. I thought it was the same actress, too, until I looked it up on Wikipedia.

9. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I saw it earlier today. It was a fun dc movie. There wasn't anything that I didn't like.

10. Morpheus 02

Hey @kirk55555 just a reminder than many theaters have $5 Tuesday....so I would love to read your hate-watched review.

As a spoiler for you...Billy acts like a normal teen...but through the example of his adopted family really does become a hero

I think it tackles the moral dangers of being a super hero in a good way. Can't wait for the sequels (still think having Black Adam later is a dopey idea).

Oh and Box Office Mojo says https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=untitledmovieiv.htm that Shazam made almost $57 million so far and $159 worldwide

11. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

^ kirk55555 already saw it and reviewed it uptopic. He liked it!

12. Morpheus 02

Ok...I will have to search for that...and you know April 1 wad a week ago!

13. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

So did I.

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hadn't heard that she was in it, but noticed her straight off. (To be fair, I have seen her in a couple of programmes in the last couple of years). Ian Chen and Ross Butler also stuck out from recent tv watches too.

15. dahj

I noticed the change precisely because I was expecting her to stay the same. :D

16. dahj

17. CorporalCaptain

My bad. I honestly thought I'd read they were the same, which actually confused me because I'd thought they'd been different. :lol:

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only reason she remained hidden to Billy is that he wasn't using her maiden name while looking for her (either he didn't know it, or it never occurred to him she would go back to using it). She was found rather quickly by someone who know how to Doxx someone on the internet.

19. CorporalCaptain

Yes, but she hid from social services, was my point.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Given the workload of social services in many large metropolitan cities and how they operate; and are usually underfunded, etc. (unfortunately) no, that wasn't unrealistic either.