Shatner's own words about Kirk's death in Generations

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by TrickyDickie, Apr 7, 2018.

1. BigDaveX

BigDaveX Captain Captain

That's usually how things work. However, as evidenced by the abortive attempt to get Leonard Nimoy to direct Generations, Berman seems to have been very much of the opinion that a director should film the script as written in as fast and efficient a manner as possible, and nothing more.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  2. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kirk's participation in this movie WAS pretty meaningless. Nothing in that movie required Shatner/Kirk. Picard's helper could have been a generic redshirt.

Everything about Kirk's treatment in Generations was awful, except maybe the opening scene.

His death meant nothing to the plot. Had the bridge not collapsed, Soran is still stopped, which meant the sole purpose of Kirk in this movie was to die.

Why? Had Kirk lived, all he had to do was "ride off into the sunset." Add a scene where he finds out Spock, McCoy and Scotty are all still alive, and say he's off to reunite with his friends--maybe find a job in Starfleet, or go on his next adventure.

Then they could either use him again, or not. But knowing he was out there was all that was needed.

3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Kirk's death didn't bother me. Most of us don't get the demise we'd want, if we could pick one. At least he wasn't in a mobile box with a blinking lightbulb.

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

-- or on The Shitter!
    Like Elvis Presley & Judy Garland ... (or even Don Simpson, who produced Top Gun!)

Ar-Pharazon and XCV330 like this.
  5. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

Generations was obviously more TNG focused, which is why Kirk is put on the backseat a lot, even in his death scene. They probably should not have even done a movie using the old crew again, although I really don't think that they created some travesty with his death.

6. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is wise. ;)

7. JonnyQuest037

Really? I never got the impression that Kirk was buried that close to the Enterprise. More like miles apart. Is his grave even in the same shot as the wreckage of the Enterprise-D?

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could be thousands of miles apart. It's a planet, after all!

Although knowing how later Trek normally dealt with planetary scales, I imagine it was within walking distance ;)

fireproof78 likes this.
  9. JonnyQuest037

It was far enough apart for them to send a shuttle to pick Picard up, at any rate.

10. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, given Picard was in a mountainous region, even just a few miles could merit a shuttle.

Though, as always, even if we assume the saucer's transporters were no longer functional, one would think at least some of the shuttles must have retained working transporters.

11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both sites were in mid day daylight at the same time (shadows), other than that apparently not all that close.

I'd imagine the saucer section made a considerable sonic boom, Picard made no noticible reaction. So a hundred miles or more.

Ronald Held, Allyn Gibson and Mytran like this.
  12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I have always wished there had been some sort of reaction shot of Picard witnessing the Enterprise's destruction and the saucer entering Veridian III's atmosphere. Even if not overhead, the detonation of the warp core should have caused a noticeable flash on the surface. As far as Picard would know at that point, he was all alone.

13. DonIago

Agreed; another missed opportunity for the film.

14. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did we ever see two concurrent scenes though? Also, one piece of the action took place in a heavily wooded region; the other in a desert

That just limits it to the same solar system

15. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread....been super busy for a while.

The note that I opened the thread with is genuinely Shatner's....it was one of a bunch that was put up for auction a while back.

There is endless talk about Shatner coming back in a new movie, especially if they re-set the Kelvin timeline back to the way things were before. Might be nice, but I doubt that they will bring Shatner back. It's just not something that CBS seems to care about at this point, unless something changes.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Rimmer: "That's more than most of us get. All most of us get is 'mind that bus' 'what bus?' Splat!"

XCV330 likes this.
  17. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

He shouldn't have died or even appeared in Generations. TUC was the perfect send off for TOS and Kirk.

With that said, they wanted Kirk dead and the Enterprise-D destroyed. Why not have Kirk command the battle section in one last fight against the Klingons? The saucer section still crashlands on Veridian III and Picard can deal with Soran. Some stuff would have to be worked out but it's better than what actually went on screen.

18. DonIago

Only works if the Klingons have a better ship to begin with. Ability to fire through shields or not, that the BoP lasted as long as it did against the E-D was just sad.

19. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that would require making Riker and the whole Enterprise-D-crew-aside-from-Picard as completely inept, a good example of how giving Kirk a great exit would require having him take over the film, or at least the climax, and become its dominant character at the expense of others.

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

here here. If Kirk is to die; it SHOULD have been in command of a Starship. That's what he was known and lauded for. The fact they never really showed hin in Command of a Starship before he dies (and no sorry, giving advice the Captain "It'll be install Tuesday..." really doesn't count) really did a great disservice the the final appearance of a lead character who made Star Trek what it is today.

Also, I'll never understand why they bothered to have Picard's reaction to the death of his nephew; because the Nexus ALSO presents Picard with the opportunity to 'fix' that - and also still resolve the whole 'Mad Scientist Soran' plot; and Picard never even has a line considering that possibility - Guess Picard wasn't that broken up about his nephew's death after all, eh?

The whole movie is a mess and just shows the TNG writer'scontempt for the TOS era characters (that was first shown in the TNG episode: "Relics").