Shards and Shadows delayed?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by leandar, Jan 27, 2009.

1. MarciaCat

MarciaCat Lieutenant Red Shirt

No Borders store in San Diego had it; I was told they didn't even have it on order! I had to order it from their online store. It came in Saturday.

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

No it wasn't and thanks for that. You learn something new everyday :alienblush:

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Dunno....

Cash?

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Just picked up both of these in Chapters in London, so with luck it should be showing up in Ottawa soon.

Still no Errand of Fury: Book 3 though. Not sure what happened with that one... guess I'll have to go the online route.

5. leandar

leandar Vice Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately I called the local Borders/Waldenbooks store and they said they don't have it and they don't plan on getting it cause not enough people ask for it. What? I know I live in a place where there's a lot of Trek fans and such. This is ridiculous. Either I'm gonna have to drive to the next city with a bookstore which is about fifty miles to look for it or order it online.

Looks like I'll be going online with all my Trek book purchases if this keeps up.

6. Brefugee

So you rang them up and asked if they had it in and when they said no, why not just order it there and then which makes more sense than driving how ever many miles it is to the next city. Then if you become a regular customer and know there is interest in the novels, then you know what, they might start having them in stock!

And about the online ordering, from what Therin has said in the past, Trek fans were an early uptaker of ordering books online, so yes, maybe there are a fair few Trekkies/Trekkers in your area, but do any of them read the novels and if so, where do they get them from?

7. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Wellington or Richmond Centre? Maybe I can convince Laura we should go visit her family this weekend. We often go to the Wellington Chapters while we're there.

Oh. Yeah. But if we go to London, we've got seven hours in the car for listening to Doctor Who audios. And seven more on the way back. Well, probably eight, because it's winter, but still. Why, it's perfectly justifiable.

8. leandar

leandar Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I have been a customer there and about all I've ever bought is Trek or SW books with rare exceptions for over twenty years. I don't think they worry about such details like that. I could order it there, but they said it'd take a week or two to get it and I figure if I order it from Amazon, it'd be here in just a few days. I guess it's just a matter of patience here and it's also just annoying that they all of sudden decide to take this practice up.

As far as the fans go here, I don't know how many of them read, but there have been lots of Trek books in the shelves here until just the last few years and I know I've always bought them and I've seen a few others buying them as well.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there a London in Canada?

10. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Agreed. Any store that does that doesn't deserve your patronage. That's anti-customer service.... :rolleyes:

11. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Yes, it is, and whatever employee gave you that excuse was pulling it straight out of their ass. The buyers at chain bookstores don't wait for customers to ask for new releases; those decisions get made months in advance. (I wonder if, with the delay releasing Shards and Shadows to this year, Borders's initial orders got cancelled and just never got re-ordered?)

12. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are Londons all over the place. Check out Wikipedia's list. I think London, Ontario is the biggest not-London London.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

13. Brefugee

The old empires weren't that original in naming new villages/towns/cities really were they! I'd have to tentatively agree with Trent and say that London, Ontario is the largest one after the capital of England.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm a regular customer at Galaxy in Sydney - since December 1979 - and I've seen numerous managers and shop assistants come and go, get promoted, etc, but I've made a point of visiting almost every Thursday night since, and briefly chatting with the staff, so no one who works there could be ignorant of the fact that I collect ST stuff. I have lots of people looking out for me, and drawing my attention to new stuff I might otherwise have missed.

When the ordering for new ST titles became a little erratic a few years ago - some titles had not been pre-ordered by anyone, thus the shop "forgot" to order any airfreighted shelf stock - I began making a six-months-in-advance want list and thus I became the pre-order that ensured each title was flagged for an abundance of future shelf stock. My little service the other more random ST collectors of Australia.

I find that Australian collectors who rely only on their local chain bookstores, or who just wander in, look for new releases and then wander out again - without ever telling the shop what they came in for, and why they were leaving empty-handed - are often disappointed.

15. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

It was Wellington.

:lol: Enjoy the trip!

Yep, with our own Thames River and everything.

"not-London London"... I like that. I recall reading an editorial once that suggested we should just officially change our name to Londonontario. :)

16. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like it. Sounds like something from a Renaissance play.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

17. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

There's a Paris, Ontario, too. A lot smaller than either London, I believe; haven't been there yet.

Meanwhile, I'll be going to a bookstore or two here in Ottawa today with the hope of finding some Star Trek books. London has to wait a few more weeks.

ETA: got both Shards and Shadows and A Singular Destiny. Finally!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009