Seth Macfarlane tapped to host this years Academy Awards!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Data Holmes, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked The Sound of Music! By the time I was 10, I had seen the movie 5 times (remember...no home versions) and stage musical at the LA Music Center. But I had heard it wasn't well thought of in the industry and that Plummer wasn't fond of it.

It's like Alec Guiness ruing being remembered for Star Wars. Its not a bad thing, he did well in it, and made a ton of money. But he had acted in so many other films, where he really showed what he could do--yet he'll be rememebered as Obi wan. I've read he was not happy with that.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, well I can understand the feeling of being typecast. It's like the Trek actors. Even though Bill Shatner and Leonard Nimoy have gone on to do hundreds of other projects, they'll always be remembered as Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

5. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw: I'm sure there are plenty of actors out there who would give their eye teeth to be remembered for anything.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's kind of bugging me to see reviews state that Macfarlane "bombed" with the theater audience. I rewatched the opening and they were laughing their asses off, and were with him through much of the night.

And even the shocked reaction to his John Wilkes Booth joke was exactly the kind of response you're looking for with a joke like that.

7. Data Holmes

One joke bombed, and that was the Chris Brown one. Only Robert Downey Jr laughed/applauded that one. Otherwise, I think he killed his parts, a lot of the rest fell flat.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't think it bombed so much as RDJ was the only one not afraid of the blow-back from laughing at it. I bet at least half the audience was "laughing on the inside."

9. Data Holmes

Probably. I do love the gif made from the over the sholder shot of him as the sole clapper.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Samuel L Jackson at the Oscars completely skipped over dialog, honoring the VFX artists, which prompted fellow Avengers Ruffalo and Downey to correct Jackson. Then Jackson was overly abrasive about it.

Starts at 3:15

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZSsFa4LBo[/YT]

Was it a bit?

Was Jackson told to move it along?

Robert Downey Jr looked peeved

"Alright. Screw it"

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joan Rivers was on Stern this morning and brought up an interesting point. Billy Crystal once said to her that hosting the Oscars was really tough for any host as the night went on because more and more people in the audience were upset at losing with each award.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a very good point, these are a bunch of egomaniacs overpaid assholes that laugh during the show and deny it later. The jokes were funny, most laughed. Getting upset at a Lincoln shot in the head joke 150 years later? Really? The Chris Brown joke I can see upsetting people, domestic violence is horrible and shouldn't be joked about, but Rihanna went back to that jackass so it's far game.

But the boob joke was awesome, the women were in on it, the joke was "This is how why people think you suck" from Captain Kirk.

People need to lighten up.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The post-Oscars paparazzi pictures of Jennifer Lawrence chilling on a hotel balcony with no makeup smoking a joint just make me like her even more. :)

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That actually happened? :adore:

15. Data Holmes

I think it was in Hawaii where she's getting ready to film hunger games.

16. the G-man

Yeah, it's "post Oscars" only in the sense that every day of the rest of her life is "post Oscars."

17. Mr. Adventure

I figured I could get away with post Oscars for the first week after. :)

18. the G-man

No hey problema. I was just clarifying to Clegg that it wasn't something she was doing at a Oscar party or something. It was a few days later.

19. Mr. Adventure

Ah, I see that now, I prob should've worded that a little differently.

20. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. I saw the photos, and if they're legit, it just makes her more adorable.