Seth Macfarlane tapped to host this years Academy Awards!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Data Holmes, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, this is true. As one article put it, he was too "meta" through the whole thing. He joked about making jokes more than he actually made jokes...make sense? :lol:

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Seth Macfarlane is hosting. You really didn't expect Ted to show up?

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I know! No one seems to understand Captain Kirk went back in time to prevent the joke from ever happening. These people are idiots.

And like he said after the Lincoln joke, it's been 150 years, and it's still too soon? One president killed himself by giving a long speech in the cold and then getting sick. Can we not make fun of him either? Bush was just a walking joke, same with Clinton and sex. These people need to lighten the hell up. It's a show set up by people to give themselves awards! The fact he made fun of them was great! If he isn't hosting again I'm never watching it again.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

The host was fine. I liked him. But the Oscars is all politics. And having the First Lady at the end did nothing to lessen that feeling.

That was totally inappropriate.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I now want MacFarlane to do a Trek show more than ever.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Inappropriate, how? She holds no actual office, and she's a popular figure, both culturally and socially. The current Administration is a media friendly one, and both Barack and Michelle stay active in the social media circuit, and something as large as the Oscars would surely be commented upon, and considering the subject matter of the films, entirely reasonable for her to make a comment praising the fine work done by the artists in question, as well as the actual soldiers who put their lives on the line every day.

7. Greg Cox

2013: The year Daredevil, Catwoman, and Mystique all got Oscars.

(Beating out Lois Lane and Aunt May.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Oh, please. Laura Bush appeared on the Oscars in a taped segment in 2002, and Presidents Reagan (as POTUS, not as an actor) and FDR made a video and radio message respectively. It's hardly anything new or out of bounds.

And what difference does it make? As mentioned, she holds no office, she has no influence over the awards, so what's the problem? There's no conflict of interest.

It's just people having an infantile reaction to someone who's married to a politician they don't like having the gall to appear on their sacred TV screens. BFD. Just because you don't like a politician doesn't mean you have to be repulsed by every little thing connected to them, even if it has nothing to do with the running of the country whatsoever.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't remember Bush's appearance well, but was there this big of an outcry from the left? I don't remember any, or at least wasn't part of it.

10. Greg Cox

Exactly. So the current First Lady showed up to make an innocuous little speech about supporting the arts. What's inappropriate, offensive, or remotely controversial about that?

Laura Bush used to make public appearances supporting literacy. Never bothered me one bit . . . .

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

If it had been a Republican First Lady I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. Much like I didn't think twice about it when Michelle Obama was on there.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I honestly can't believe people are this petty.

13. Greg Cox

Just wait a few years until President Ashley Judd appears at the Oscars . . . :)

14. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I was more offended that they couldn't just get ON with the damn show after they started running late. Start cutting the spiels.

15. Greg Cox

If they're really interested in trimming the fat and speeding things up, do they really need to explain, year after year, the significance of each of the various categories. I've been watching the Oscars my entire life and, honestly, I never need to hear another pretty little speech about the vital importance of Sound Editing or Art Direction or even Screenwriting. ("It all begins with a blank page . . . . ")

Can we just stipulate that the Editing and Musical Composition and Costume Design and rest are all important enough to be honored and get on with it?

16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think either Argo or Zero Dark Thirty are anything but average thrillers getting attention for their subject matter (and in the case of Argo, for making Hollywood feel good about itself). Zero Dark Thirty bored the hell out of me. It recreated the events, but why? I saw no depth, no emotional resonance, and I didn't get the impression that the movie was saying anything. I just kept thinking "Why should I care? Just shoot him already and finish the damn movie."

Every other of the remaining seven movies was better, more interesting and original.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

my point was that the Oscars had become so political as it is, which was why the awards were so spread out (and of course, likely one of the reasons Lincoln wasn't going to win, and why films by particular filmmakers weren't considered - ahem Clod Atlas.) Sure, the First Lady holds no political office but she does represent politics of some sort by showing up anywhere. You have to appreciate that this is just my opinion. I thought it was tactless.

18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Those aren't the things that slows down the Oscars. Someone pointed out on twitter: there are 24 awards. If each award was given 3 minutes of screen time, that's 72 minutes.

If it was broken down, 1 minute to introduce what the award is and who is nominated, that's still two minutes to let the person speak. OR, 2 minutes to introduce the award and then 1 minute for a speech.

It's not the awards themselves that cause the Oscars to run late. It's all the stuff in between. I'm looking at you Not Particularly Effect Bond Celebration Music thingy.

19. Greg Cox

Are you talking studio politics or politics politics?

The way I see it, the President and First Lady, regardless of who gets elected, are always going to be in the public eye and making appearances at special events, be it throwing out the first ball at a baseball game or meeting with this year's National Spelling Bee champions. This just struck me as more of the same.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Wow, you're all over the place.

What was so political about last night's show? The most HIPPIE! COMMIE! LIBRUL! thing said was Anne Hathaway's boobs telling us that hopefully hunger like that experienced by Fantine in Les Mis will eventually be relegated purely to the realm of fiction. My god, what a horrifying political message! "Yay, starvation! Down with feeding people!"

You also seem to be randomly mixing "political" in the Hollywood snobbery sense with being literally political in the sense that the First Lady made an appearance. They're not remotely the same thing.

I loved Cloud Atlas, but you're nuts if you thought it had any chance of being nominated for Best Picture with its lukewarm reviews and weak box office. Failing the latter can be tolerated, but not both. It had nothing to do with any Oscar bias against the Wachowskis or the director Tom Tykwer, whose Run Lola Run was a huge critical success and received numerous awards and nominations.

No, I don't. It's a petty, childish opinion.

Nope. Complaining about something so mundane and harmless just because you have a problem with her husband sure is, though.