Set blueprint exchange

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Redgeneral, May 10, 2014.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yep, based on closer examination of the saucer section and nacelles, I would even guess that they used the original 1980 David Kimble TMP blueprints as templates for those parts before tacking on the rest of Reliant's superstructure. They look pretty much identical in details and proportion. I used that very same technique some 35-38 years ago when I did my own hand-drawn schematics, back before the days of easy-to-use vector art systems.

publiusr and Jason_Adank like this.
  2. Jason_Adank

Jason_Adank Lieutenant Red Shirt

hah :) I have those blueprints in a box somewhere. Even the saucer profile (on the filming miniature) is slightly different from the refit connie prop, specifically the underside curvature. It bells out more at the navdome, and as a result, the lower saucer airlock doors dont look quite as cool as they did on the connie prop... But despite this not looking as good, these are the 'hidden gems' of the miranda... everything is just a bit different, and for the most part, in a good way.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Really, there are no accurate Relant blueprints.

The Reliant has details the TMP refit doesn’t IIRC.

Avenger is its own thing…and the movie blueprint probably influenced the ERTL model more than the studio mini.
    The ERTL was made a bit “thicker” about the saucer.

Perhaps Yotsuya and/or Shaw can investigate.

4. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

Some of it is, some isn't; definitely not 1:1. A lot of random numbers on the originals were replaced by more realistic text.

danellis likes this.
  5. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

That's very interesting. given that they've left in things like reflections of the camera and viwes out of the set to the wider stage beyond.

dJE

6. Rekkert

I meant it not being 100% accurate to how those LCARS looked like in TNG, which I understood to be what @Lt. Washburn's comment was about.

Lt. Washburn likes this.
  7. NervousEnergy

NervousEnergy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Shrike (matterport.com) Shrike Bridge matterport link now works. I vaguely think the set is the same set as the Section 31 Ship from Discovery? May be wrong though!

8. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it is the lower deck of the La Sirena from Picard.

9. NervousEnergy

Oh yeah, that fits!

10. Rekkert

Oh wow, you can even see the top level of La Sirena at the top hahah. Plus the helm is the same one as on the Eleos, so great reuses on that set!

11. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amazing what you can do when you're running out of money lol

12. Jason_Adank

Does any know where the dead end corridor was located on the stage 9 sets? This is the corridor where there was a turbolift at the end. We saw it in TWOK when Kirk and Mckoy are in the turbolift talking about the 'dangers of reopening old wounds" and mckoy says 'sorry'. I was looking at the stage 9 drawing of the sets, and it doesnt seem to appear anywhere in the layout.

13. ashleytinger

It was at the end of the corridor that the transporter room doors opened into if I remember right. Same in TNG only they added a mini hub at the opposite end in TNG for that.

14. Jason_Adank

So youre saying that the 'dead end' was some kind of mobile set extension that got moved into place when needed? Cause the corridor spoke youre speaking off always had a "T" junction at the far end. You see it in TMP as well as TWOK. Theres no turbolift door there

15. ashleytinger

Right. That was where the turbolift was in TMP, but I'm pretty sure in WoK they put it at the end of that corridor instead. I don't think they messed with the one near Engineering. It works for the shot where they're getting in the lift ( set is open at that end using the long corridor backdrop),

[​IMG]

When Saavik gets out it's that set wall they slide in that's four panels tall,
    [​IMG]

and looking back at McCoy in the lift as Kirk leaves (if they moved the lift cause that is NOT the T Junction).

[​IMG]

This all matches up with the corridor outside of the Transporter Room on the TMP set map

http://pat.suwalski.net/film/st-stages/stages/stage9-tmp.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  16. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

blssdwlf and QuinnTV like this.
  17. NervousEnergy

18. NervousEnergy

19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Wow, I knew Pike's ready room was big, but I didn't realize it was that big.

There's a cutaway that shows the "pipe cathedral" in Engineering is actually looking forward, and the big round thing at the end is the back of the navigational deflector.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    publiusr, QuinnTV and blssdwlf like this.
  20. ashleytinger