Set blueprint exchange

Yep, based on closer examination of the saucer section and nacelles, I would even guess that they used the original 1980 David Kimble TMP blueprints as templates for those parts before tacking on the rest of Reliant's superstructure. They look pretty much identical in details and proportion. I used that very same technique some 35-38 years ago when I did my own hand-drawn schematics, back before the days of easy-to-use vector art systems.

hah :) I have those blueprints in a box somewhere. Even the saucer profile (on the filming miniature) is slightly different from the refit connie prop, specifically the underside curvature. It bells out more at the navdome, and as a result, the lower saucer airlock doors dont look quite as cool as they did on the connie prop... But despite this not looking as good, these are the 'hidden gems' of the miranda... everything is just a bit different, and for the most part, in a good way.

Last edited:
Really, there are no accurate Relant blueprints.

The Reliant has details the TMP refit doesn’t IIRC.

Avenger is its own thing…and the movie blueprint probably influenced the ERTL model more than the studio mini.
The ERTL was made a bit “thicker” about the saucer.

Perhaps Yotsuya and/or Shaw can investigate.

Yes, and you can zoom in on a lot of the LCARS to read text you might not otherwise be able to. Hopefully it's accurate to the original artwork, to be useful.
Some of it is, some isn't; definitely not 1:1. A lot of random numbers on the originals were replaced by more realistic text.

Some of it is, some isn't; definitely not 1:1. A lot of random numbers on the originals were replaced by more realistic text.
That's very interesting. given that they've left in things like reflections of the camera and viwes out of the set to the wider stage beyond.

dJE

Oh wow, you can even see the top level of La Sirena at the top hahah. Plus the helm is the same one as on the Eleos, so great reuses on that set!

Does any know where the dead end corridor was located on the stage 9 sets? This is the corridor where there was a turbolift at the end. We saw it in TWOK when Kirk and Mckoy are in the turbolift talking about the 'dangers of reopening old wounds" and mckoy says 'sorry'. I was looking at the stage 9 drawing of the sets, and it doesnt seem to appear anywhere in the layout.

Does any know where the dead end corridor was located on the stage 9 sets? This is the corridor where there was a turbolift at the end. We saw it in TWOK when Kirk and Mckoy are in the turbolift talking about the 'dangers of reopening old wounds" and mckoy says 'sorry'. I was looking at the stage 9 drawing of the sets, and it doesnt seem to appear anywhere in the layout.

It was at the end of the corridor that the transporter room doors opened into if I remember right. Same in TNG only they added a mini hub at the opposite end in TNG for that.

So youre saying that the 'dead end' was some kind of mobile set extension that got moved into place when needed? Cause the corridor spoke youre speaking off always had a "T" junction at the far end. You see it in TMP as well as TWOK. Theres no turbolift door there

So youre saying that the 'dead end' was some kind of mobile set extension that got moved into place when needed? Cause the corridor spoke youre speaking off always had a "T" junction at the far end. You see it in TMP as well as TWOK. Theres no turbolift door there

Right. That was where the turbolift was in TMP, but I'm pretty sure in WoK they put it at the end of that corridor instead. I don't think they messed with the one near Engineering. It works for the shot where they're getting in the lift ( set is open at that end using the long corridor backdrop),

st2-twok-dc-0821.jpg

When Saavik gets out it's that set wall they slide in that's four panels tall,
st2-twok-dc-0851.jpg

and looking back at McCoy in the lift as Kirk leaves (if they moved the lift cause that is NOT the T Junction).

st2-twok-dc-0872.jpg

This all matches up with the corridor outside of the Transporter Room on the TMP set map

http://pat.suwalski.net/film/st-stages/stages/stage9-tmp.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back