News Section 31 news thread

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 30, 2019.

?

A Section 31 series. Yay or nay?

1. Yay, a Section 31 series!

61 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. Nay, give us anything else instead!

63 vote(s)
    50.8%
  1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Elephant in the room:-

Will we be calling this the 14th Star Trek movie or not? At least we're getting *something*

I admit the idea of a SECTION 31 series wasn't appealing to me, but I'm happy it's a single film

Tiran O'Saurus, JRob94 and Danja like this.
  2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

They may do a 'premiere event' for critics and media with the cast and crew present and everyone will go watch it in a theater; but it won't be released to any sort of actua publicl theatrical run.

JRob94, Commander Troi and Danja like this.
  3. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

It technically is. It just is not the 14th theatrical release. Unless it get a limited theatre release later on down the line.

Danlav05, JRob94 and Danja like this.
  4. trekfan_1

trekfan_1 Commander Red Shirt

Honestly, I do not see a single 2 hr ish one off as prime strategy to attract new sustained subscribers to the platform. Heck even a 7 day free trial woild cover seeìng this . And If that subscriber increase is minimal, I say might as well also do a limited 3 day run or so in theatres and the theatre event it self can be used to promote other P + programming. Perhaps do an exlusive "short trek" in theatres and a different exclusive short trek on P+.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    Danja likes this.
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Plenty of streaming services have their own exclusive TV movies and it works well for them. And they don't have theatrical runs. Well, Netflix occasionally does, but that's only when they really spend a budget on a movie.

HotRod likes this.
  6. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they’ll be banking on the Yeoh factor for new subscribers. I’m skeptical that it’ll do much - Star Trek is just such a hard sell for a lot of people - but it’ll probably do fine. Grab a few more people while the reliable demographic hopefully tunes in, too.

7. Noname Given

Or they want to have their film up for Oscar consideration.

8. Noname Given

It may boost P+ subscribers in Asia.

Quinton, Danja and Commander Troi like this.
  9. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, my opinion is that while they've gotten a boost with Halo and Tulsa King, Paramount+ depends heavily on Star Trek for anyone at all to show up.

10. The Wormhole

I'm pretty sure Taylor Sheridan pulls his weight for them too. Otherwise they wouldn't keep greenlighting a dozen Yellowstone spinoffs plus another dozen of his other shows.

Serveaux and Charles Phipps like this.
  11. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair point.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. trekfan_1

Since Star Trek is such a recognized brand, I think it should be one of those exceptions to parallel in theatres. You may get some more then exoected walk up sales from the general public who mistakenly think there's a new Star Trek feature being released. Especially since the lead in this has movie clout and is an Oscar winner.

14. The Wormhole

Out of the 13 Trek movies released in theatres, only half have performed well in theatres, the last of which was released in 2009. Star Trek isn't as big as you think it is.

HotRod and fireproof78 like this.
  15. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Premium Member

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Looks like a Trek version of Bane.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I was thinking a helmetless Vader.

DaveyNY likes this.
  18. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something I rather appreciate about that article is how it highlights how Paramount is approaching the next feature film (yeah, we shall see, etc) with a mind toward the franchise’s well-established box office ceiling.

This is the sort of thing that dominated so much discourse over the relative financial success of the three most recent outings, most notably Star Trek Into Darkness, whose $455 million 2013 global cume was only modestly impressive. It was the highest of the three, and it couldn’t crack half a billion.

Much has been said on the subject of whether it might have had stronger legs if it was perceived as a better film, but a lot can be gleaned without the hundred-page forum threads. Internationally, Star Trek is not a big brand, for starters. These movies weren’t going to go where Paramount wanted them to go without that.

If they can put out a new film - if, indeed, but if they can - and that film eyes something more in this ballpark, a lot of suit-wearing people are going to be happier with the results. And while none of us, at least that I know, belong to the subset of viewers who wear those suits at Paramount, we can be glad to know the franchise isn’t underperforming on the big screen in large part due to the unavoidable relentless conundrum of ballooning budgets that have not, nor will they ever, fit the bill for Star Trek’s broad appeal.

tl;dr Let’s see a movie go into production that’s cost-effective enough for a $455 million haul to be regarded more optimistically.

As for Section 31, it knows its audience and it will have been budgeted accordingly; that’s the impression I get from all this. So yeah. Good start!

19. trekfan_1

I'm talking about a limited release here . Remember the budget here is no where near it would be for a feature film . The metrics of a successful limited run for a movie that was essentially made for TV is totally different. I just cant see how it can hurt Paramount plus. I'm not saying they should angle for a blockbuster at all here. But Star Trek has more brand recognition that some random film that a streaming service also parallel releases in theatres. I don't think its a bad idea to look at adding additional revenue streams and delivery options to hhe consumer in addition to trying to increase subscribers. I dont think those 2 aproaches really cannibalizes on eachother.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  20. The Wormhole

They don't do theatrical releases for their other exclusive movies, not even a limited run. They're not going to just because it's Star Trek. Besides, when they did theatrical screenings of TNG two-parters to sync up with Blu-ray releases, that didn't exactly do wonders. Likely why they gave up on those.