Spoilers Section 31: Control by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Rate Section 31: Control

1. Outstanding

57 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. Above Average

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Average

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Below Average

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why are we even talking about this? I was commenting on how The Fall proved unexpectedly prophetic about the renewed rise of fascism in the United States and Europe. Why did you even bring up the Mirror Universe?

Paul Weaver and Sci like this.
  2. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Because threads on TrekBBS are known to go off on a tangent. Why did you bring up The Fall series in a topic about the Control book?

Brefugee likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m 130 odd pages into it and I’m enjoying it so far. The idea that something which is essentially Skynet created Section 31 is very intriguing.

5. thribs

Just finished it. I really enjoyed it but I felt the ending was rather cliché with the brainwash trope. I can understand why some people may have a issue with it. I haven’t read the previous posts here but I could see the idea that the entire Federation was built upon a lie might be rather offensive to principal ideas of Roddenberry’s creation.
    Some nice Easter eggs thrown in with the mention of the Franklin. A ship I imagine is either a Daedalus or whatever Reed’s ship is considering the year, and future hints to the fate of Romulus. Speaking of which, I wonder if that case Bashir was stopping at the beginning with the Romulan and the virus was the Iconian first attempt to wipe them out. I know that they’re separate continuities but like the Solanae in Titan, it wouldn’t be that hard to make it work later on.
    There was also that reveal that some of the villains in Star Trek VI were also Section 31 agents but I think that’s been hinted somewhere else.

What voice did people imagine for Control? I imagined Nick Briggs’ Dalek voice but on a lower tone and a more cohesive speech pattern. Similar to what he does for the command Daleks.

6. thribs

The JJVerse may not have it. Things happened differently there. Section 31 was a weapons manufacturer

Nyotarules likes this.
  7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think there's any reason to think Urei didn't exist in the Kelvin Timeline. But I'm not big on the idea of the Kelvin's arrival causing retroactive changes.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me neither. In fact I actively hate the idea.

Fortunately, we are free to ignore it (it's only Simon Pegg's theory, after all), unless it makes it into a film - which is unlikely as Pegg isn't writing ST4.

Siri.

9. thribs

If it was a different universe to start off with, it works fine.

10. thribs

I’m surprised so many people think it was the same timeline as the Prime. I always thought it was a different universe. Hence why Kirk and co. look so different, and why the ships have a different atheistic.

11. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Now, I have never heard someone say it's the prime timeline ;) Well, except that one time I tried to reconcile prime and Kelvin, but I was kidding there!

12. Mr. Laser Beam

In-universe, they are the same. Remember, Spock Prime recognizes nuKirk and nuScotty on sight. Recasting is common, and doesn't have any deeper meaning.

That's easily explained. Starfleet took scans of the Narada and upgraded its technology, and/or there's a massive increase in military expenditure under Admiral Marcus (as opposed to Nogura in the prime timeline).

13. thribs

But the Kelvin was already different. It was too large for a ship for that time. Plus it’s engineering section looked like a brewery. It even had concrete floors.
    You were right about Spock recognising him. I forgot about that. Anyway I still think it’s easier to think of it as a different universe. That way things like the Section 31 change, their Franklin and this “Xindi War” are easier to explain.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

There's room in Starfleet for all sorts of ships, large and small.

15. thribs

But not that big. Ships shouldn’t be larger than the Enterprise

16. Jinn

Why?

17. thribs

I like the original producer’s intent that the Constitution Class vessel was the largest Federation vessel at the time. Makes it more of a prestigious ship.

18. Jinn

Could you or anyone else point me to the source of that? Scanning MA's constitution class and Enterprise articles I can't find it.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see no reason why ships larger than the Prime Constitution class couldn't have existed before the 2260s. Hell, the Discovery is canonically larger than the NCC-1701 Enterprise within the Prime Timeline, and the so is the D'Kyr-type from ENT.

I mean, hell, the Arleigh Burke class guided missile cruisers are smaller than the Yorktown class aircraft carriers, but I'm not gonna put my bets on a Yorktown if they get into a fight.

Jinn likes this.
  20. Jinn

Eh, they look pretty much the same size to me.