Spoilers Season Two Story Location

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by JoeP, May 14, 2018.

1. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Right-

As we've seen many examples of in Star Trek- last name nor accent will specifically tie to ethnic or racial origins.

Repeat after me: "It's too early, it isn't important, it doesn't matter"

Kor, JoeP and Tuskin38 like this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I've always been quasi-curious about what "The God Thing" would've been like. It's something that would've been amazing in the sense of "I can't believe they did that!" or it would be really bad and drop like a lead weight.

link

Might "The God Thing" be an influence for the second season?

EDIT: Nah. Probably not. It would drive off too many subscribers. But what a crazy way to go out if that did happen.

3. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I have mixed feeling about it. I think if we put science up there to be analysed and held accountable then spirituality is fair game. That being said I personally hope that there might be representation of both, like in the one character. That the two systems of understanding (science and faith) don't have to be polarised or at odds. However, that probably doesn't make for a good story.

CRM-114 and Vger23 like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly, and to cite an example from Discovery, 'Phillipa Georgiou'

jaime, Tim Thomason and Vger23 like this.
  5. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting.

6. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Ball's Falls is a historical settlement near Niagara Falls - the Wiki page describes it as a ghost town, so its appearance as a frontier town isn't surprising.

I wonder whether the cemetery was built for filming, or if it's a real one. The building in the background appears to be Ball's Falls Historical Church - there are photos at https://npca.ca/conservation-areas/balls-falls.

7. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

"Glory to the first saved" or how to both sound and not sound Christian at the same time. So this will be Crystal Dragon Jesus" or "Silicon inteligent dinosaur Jesus"?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please let this be a Space Hippies origin story.

Please.

9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The tombstones are all fake. They're too pristine, too similar, too lined up, and most importantly, all have the New Eden atomic symbol carved into them (in place of a real life cross or whatever).

"The First Saved" might even be more literal than that (while evoking the idea of Christian salvation). It could be a person or group of people saved from certain death by (natives/Starfleet/fluke of weather/their own gumption) in the long, long ago, that their descendents idolize or idealize in a mild form of ancestor worship.

Or it could just be Space Jesus. Probably Space Jesus.

Jadeb likes this.
  10. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Hmm, we already had Space Hitler and could be getting Space Jesus. Plus there's a log cabin in the background. Dare I hope for ...

[​IMG]

11. Tim Thomason

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord..."

Jadeb likes this.
  12. Tuskin38

I like this theory

Tim Thomason likes this.
  13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

KennyB, Markonian, Rahul and 2 others like this.
  14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it was a real historic cemetery, then local preservation boards, etc., probably would have blocked them from trampling over the area with all those fake headstones to use as a filming area.

Kor

15. Rhodan

I was mainly joking. But it´s true that even texts on tombstones suggest some sort of manism. Power of Archer compels them.

Don´t forget they must be all women now. Even Good old Abe.

16. Tuskin38

Stop.

Markonian, Rhodan and Tim Thomason like this.
  17. Rhodan

I really should be more careful to make clear when I am serious and when not.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Tim Thomason likes this.
  19. Tim Thomason

Okay, after careful observation of the good Reverend's illegal twitpic taken on the set of "Green Harvest", I see 21 tombstones, of which I can decipher 19 names. They are, by row, from left-to-right:

1. J. WHITE - In Our Hearts Forever and Always
    2. K. PEREZ
    3. J. GREEN - Her Gentle Spirit Will Shine on Us
    4. In Loving Memory - WHITE - Beloved Brother
    5. D. NELSON - In Our Hearts Forever In Our Minds Forever

6. B. EDWARDS - A Dear Mother and [???]
    7. R. SMITH
    8. S. MILLER
    9. J. SCOTT - Forever in Our Hearts
    10. J. LYNN
    11. G. ALLEN

12. J. JACKSON
    13. R. NGUYEN
    14. D. JONES
    15. A. RIVERA

16. N?. WILSON
    17. In Loving Memory - BROWN
    18. L. BROWN - [???] [???] [Uncle?] Friend

19. In Loving Memory - JONES
    20. [??? Possibly another JONES]
    21. In Loving Memory - [???]

Two (maybe three) Jones, two Browns, and two Whites suggests that this is a small community of close families, and we may have characters with these names.

There are at least two women (Green and Edwards) and one (White), possibly two men (L. Brown), but due to the lack of first names it's impossible to tell genders outside those with descriptions. The two Browns next to each other might be a married couple, but there are no other signs of joint burial plots as is common around here.

D. Jones might be a reference to actor Doug Jones. Other than that, though, I don't recognize any of the names amongst Discovery's cast and crew.

The names are very monocultural (other than Nguyen, Rivera, and Perez), but even moreso they're just plain common. We have both Smith and Jones (several of them), as well as Brown, Miller, and Wilson. Five of the top 10 last names in the United States. Most of these names are probably not written by a writer with a thoughtful history behind them. Just random names, I would guess, thought up by someone in production design.

Except for Rivera (#61), Nguyen (#229), and Lynn (#862!), all the names (13 out of 16) are in the top 50 of the US Census Bureau popularity list.

20. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I did think they looked awfully clean (and awfully close together), but I didn't notice the significance of the symbol. My bad.