Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Are you referring to the low-key lighting in this shot here:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_056.jpg

If so, the look is intentional -- that's how it was lit by the cinematographer in 1987. Compare what you're seeing to TrekCore's TNG screencaps. You're HDTV should be calibrated to look very much like what you see there. If you have a Blu-ray with a THX optimizer, you could calibrate your set using that and it should get you pretty close to where you need to be brightness and contrast-wise.

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

To be honest, I do think the issue lies with the calibration of your set - I find the PQ on these dsics to be truly outstanding. Do you have your set on "Vivid" or "Torch" mode etc? DO NOT use these!!! Switch to "Cinema" or whatever it may be called on your TV - probably set colour temp to warm if you have that option, but that depends on the characteristics of your set. Then calibrate from there - I recommend something like DVE...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I enjoy them fine on both my 32" and 40" sets. :shrug:

4. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

Ok, I had it on "vivid" no one "standard" or "Cinema" it's better. Nevertheless, I don't like the lighting style of this season (just watched "Where no-one has gone before") with very dark background light and rather bright focussed light coming from one side. Exemple are :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You see very often these kind of shadows on the faces which I find rather annoying. But OK, maybe it just me.

5. Reeborg

Come on, watch it really on your 32" from 3 meters away and look especially on the episode names on the right menu (black on yellowish background). Do you really find this text size well adapted for the human eye? :eek:

6. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps you need to see an optician?

I like the way they lit the first season. Dramatic.

7. Reeborg

You are a funny guy!

Maybe, you need a psychiatrist?

I basically don't like it. May God forgive me for that sin.
    It seems to me that they had to save money on the lights (since they hadn't enough for both sides). ;)

8. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A psychiatrist, why? It was a serious suggestion - perhaps you are straining your eyes and need them correcting - I cannot see those titles without my spectacles.

How is a preference a sin? You asked for opinions by coming on a discussion board and yet all you can do is insult anyone that comes up with a reply?

9. Reeborg

Yes guy, the "optician" part was no insult, of course. I can live without this kind of reply. Thanks.

If you think that making the menu text smaller to have more surface practically empty is a reasonable choice, and all you have say to that criticism is "verify your glasses", then you are not looking for a constructive discussion.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Aaaaanyway...

The last disc is the one with the main extras.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

The way these images look has nothing to do with the remastering process. This is how they were filmed. Just take a look at the DVD screen captures.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x06/wherenoone167.jpg

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x06/wherenoone177.jpg

By the way, I should also warn you that hotlinking as you did is frowned upon. That's why I removed the IMG tags from your quoted post.

12. Reeborg

(1) In principle I know and agree with that. Anyhow, when I compare the DVDs (playing on my computer) with the BD (on my TV) I get the impression that this light contrast is even bigger on BD than on DVD. I am just saying, I don't like these intentional shadowings in Season 1.

(2) What do you mean with hotlinking? I am not sure what you mean. (I guess it is "direct showing the images in the post"???)

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Hotlinking refers to embedding images which are hosted by someone else's webspace and not your own. From the board FAQ:

It's a rule not commonly known to new users so I just thought I would point it out.

14. Reeborg

You did right, thanks. ;)

15. BillJ

I sit about eight and a half feet away from my 32", which is just under three meters if I remember my conversion correctly and I don't have any issues seeing the menus.

As far as the shadowing goes, I like it far better than the flat, even lighting we got in later seasons where everything looks washed out. It gave the show a dramatic look. :shrug:

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

100% agreed. The lighting used during season one is, by a country mile, the classiest and most stylish seen throughout the series. The over bright, and as you say, washed out appearance in later years, coupled with the "muzak", coated TNG with an unnecessary sheen of blandness.

17. BillJ

Honestly, later TNG was lit like a daytime soap. Sequences were framed the same way for the most part. It felt like they fell into a rut as far as blocking shots.

18. Reeborg

I congratulate you for your very good eyesight. Quite frankly, I am not comfortable with the text size even though I wear my glasses. Especially the labels "Prod #", "Air date" and "Stardate" on the right-sided menu, I am not able to read from 3 m distance on the 32 inch screen (maybe US 32" is bigger than European ones as in the US everything is bigger ;)). And quite frankly, I don't think that most people could easily and comfortably read these under these circumstances. I still don't see the point to have these small menus on an otherwise (almost) empty screen. I should make a test with my wife, although she is not interested at all in watching ST.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I totally agree that the text is quite a bit smaller than it needs to be. I'll live, but it would have been cool a tad bigger.

20. Reeborg

Thanks for the relief you give me. ;)