Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Since FrontierTrek has promised us info on S4 soon I thought I would get the ball rolling. Can't wait!

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the reasons I'm excited about tomorrow night's screening is to get a trailer for Season 4. Really interested to see what happens considering it's being outsourced again. Hopefully the people at CBS were true to their word and are keeping a tight leash on things. Season 3 looks spectacular. I shouldn't expect anything less for Season 4.

3. Savage Dragon

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In season 4, we get to see the Nebula-class and the Vor'cha-class ships in action for the first time. I hope they hold up well in HD.

I look forward to seeing how they tackle the CGI creatures in Galaxy's Child.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any speculation on the Season 4 Theater event? Are they going to do the same thing like they did with Best of Both Worlds and combine Redemption as a feature film? I hope not. Personally, I would love to just have a Best of Both Worlds/Family night and make it a whole trilogy. Considering that won't happen, I wonder what episodes they could use to feature the season. If they wanted to go full fledged visual effects, I would do Galaxy's Child and The Loss. If they wanted to do good storytelling, perhaps Remember Me and The Wounded. Did Season 4 have really popular episodes? It seemed to me that it was the season where it was mainly business as usual.

6. jimbotron

Yeah, there aren't that many marquee episodes in the season, aside from BOBW Part 2 and Redemption. Maybe The Drumhead or The Nth Degree.

There are plenty to choose from in season 5, though: Darmok, Unification, Disaster, Cause and Effect, and The Inner Light.

Maybe some extended cuts will pop up in the future.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, who would have ever guessed we'd be talking about Season Four of TNG-HD already? I'm still amazed we even got the first season!

As far as a theatrical event goes, I think Future Imperfect and Redemption would make a pretty good double bill.

8. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's kind of sad that we're already nearly halfway to the end and that in three seasons time there will be no new "blu-ray discussion" threads.

My two votes for cinematic screening would go to First Contact and The Drumhead or possibly Reunion (moot vote anyway as we don't see them in the UK).

9. Savage Dragon

I really don't know which episodes I'd like to see. The Wounded is a great episode and Redemption is up there too.

10. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Ever since TNG Remastered was announced I've been wondering how this will turn out.

11. Savage Dragon

I had forgotten all about the CG creature. Can't wait to see how that is handled.

12. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Upscale the original VFX elements and put them on HD Enterprise?

I think we need to get used to upscaled CGI if we are going to get Voyager and DS9 on Blu. We are already getting upscaled stuff on the Enterprise blu-rays.

13. jimbotron

In TNG, they've been recreating all the CGI effects from scratch. The Crystalline entity is an example of that.

No one bothered to redo Enterprise's effects because they were mastered in 720p, and deemed "good enough" for Blu-ray. The original CGI for TNG, DS9 and Voyager exists only on the SD tape masters, and all need to be redone for HD.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think Enterprise VFX is 480 lines of resolution. Looks like it from the screencaps anyway.

I forgot about the Crystaline Entity so I guess the Galaxys Child shots will indeed get remade!

Don't want to derail the thread too much but I really don't see them remaking every VFX shot in the other spinoffs. Enterprise has set the bar.

15. Savage Dragon

I'm pretty sure all the VFX on Enterprise were rendered at 720p.

16. jimbotron

The effects for ENT were in 720p, upscaled to 1080p for Blu-ray. TrekCore talked about it in their season 1 review.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Enterprise effects were mostly rendered at 480p due to time constraints.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Time to get our pitchforks ready! ;)

19. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds good! And I have no problem with another company doing the effects again, as long as CBS-D is there this time to make sure everything stays consistent.

Can't wait to see the trailer tomorrow at the BOBW event.

And awesome that we only have to wait til July for the release!