Spoilers Season 3 wild speculation

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Dr Helen Noel, May 15, 2022.

1. Rao Van Tickle

Rao Van Tickle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd suggest you read Christopher's comments regarding canon & continuity in the thread below. Some of the expressions you use - schisms in the fandom, black pill scorched earth - sound a tad extreme in this context, so a reevaluation of the issues you see might help getting to a more relaxed perspective.

https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/are-novels-canon.311982/page-2

Nerys Myk and fireproof78 like this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Of course they can. Do TWOK and TSFS exist in separate continuities because they changed who plays Saavik?

Last time I checked, my DVD were unaltered.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There has always been a schism in the fandom between purists who hate the new product and those who enjoy the new product. This isn't something that just manifested in the past five years because of Disco and all the other CBSAA/Paramount+ shows. It's been a thing since at least the release of the TOS movies.

4. New Kid 99

New Kid 99 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't think anybody is worried about healing any schism here. I think most folks figure you're impossible to please, shrug and move on.

Agony_Boothb likes this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love for some healing. But, it requires a lot of self-reflection, willingness to let Trek be less important and sharing one another's point of view more important.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's way too inconvenient.

TedShatner10, Danja and fireproof78 like this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Let me wave some salt shakers.

TedShatner10, Danja and fireproof78 like this.
  8. Vulture

Vulture Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My Season 3 wild speculation:
    The Khan-like villain will be played by Halle Berry.
    She was Storm with Sir Patrick as X.
    I love me some Halle Berry. I can only hope.

Danja likes this.
  9. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Emily Hampshire.

JRob94 likes this.
  10. cal888

cal888 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On canon vs continuity plus recasting... continuity changes and retcons post 2017 are orders of magnitude more extensive than anything pre-2005. Changing Saavik is annoying... throwing out the entire visual continuity of TOS, especially when it is integral to the Berman era continuity as well, is well, bound to be polarizing. Again, going the multiverse route seems like the best option. Can you imagine if Berman and Braga had done something similar with ENT vs TOS?!? It would be inconceivable.

On the black pill and scorched earth terms... The anti-Kurtzman Trek people aren't a unified whole. Three of the major opposition fandom YouTubers have come out this week condemning Robert Meyer Burnett for supporting Picard season 3, arguing either he's a shill, biased because he could be friends with Terry Matalas, or that -- even if it's the best season of Star Trek ever -- it still needs to be burned to the ground and boycotted because it could further Kurtzman's hold on the franchise. The more moderate opposition fans use the general term "black pills" to describe this mentality, which is more often applied to Marvel and Star Wars fans, say with Ms Marvel and Obi Wan Kanobi series. The more moderate opposition fans feel that their concerns are being gradually reflected in Hollywood office politics, with Bob Chapek and David Zaslov gradually asserting control at Disney and Warners respectively and moderating on more polarizing content.

The only reason I got back into Kurtzman Trek this year was because of Terry Matalas' involvement in Picard season 2. Granted maybe Akiva Goldsman and the Secret Hideout interns shouldn't have made a mess of it, but as a whole the season is at least watchable. Terry is supposed to have full control over season 3.. brought in his own people to write, edit, score the music, even brought in many Berman Trek veterans. I like Terry's history with the franchise. I want his potential pivot to succeed. It would be great to get more 24th century show follow ups with him at the helm. The next next generation with evolution, not massive misfires like trying to reinvent a wheel but forgetting it should be I dunno, round?

Check out the 12 Monkeys series if you haven't had a chance. It's really well written, nothing like a CW soapy melodrama, to see what he's capable of as a showrunner.

I'd say as a percentage, many many more more are alienated now than at least once TNG hit it's stride running into the VGR / ENT doldrums. Yes, yes people complained about ENT. But the constraints of UPN are very different than the massive changes that have presented from STD onward.

As long as they don't turn it into another TATV with Michael Burnham, Picard season 3 will likely mostly please me I think. Extra credit for somehow showing a TOS Constitution class ship and not a Discoprise, and only Klingons, not KlingOrcs.

I really liked the season 2 opener, which had Terry's greatest involvement. Now that actually felt like Star Trek! Prodigy is surprisingly watchable for a kid's show. And Lower Decks is at a minimum 60/40 for me.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  11. cal888

The villain is someone Terry Matalas has never worked with before. Granted I'd expect some 12 Monkeys cameos.

Danja likes this.
  12. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

This is crazy.

People are going to war over a TV SHOW. :(

13. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Missed that bit.

I do think someone like Halle Berry might have a little more visibility and be considered “famous.”

People have gone to war for a lot less.

JRob94 and Danja like this.
  14. Nerys Myk

Must be a definition of "integral" I'm unfamiliar with. Most of TOS's design language was tossed out the window in TMP. TWOK and TNG continued the trend.SNW has brought much of that language back. It revels and basks in the mid century modern aethetic of TOS.
    Yeah, people were making the same accusations when Enterprise was on the air. So what's not similar?
    The multiverse is a copout for people who can't handle change.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

First day on the internet? :p

JRob94, Danja and Dukhat like this.
  16. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

The last thing that any geeky Internet forum moderator wants is a bloody flaming war in their sub fora! You would think that by this day and age people would have stopped trolling each other. At least they troll each other on YouTube and Twitter these days instead of TrekBBS.:shrug:

Danja likes this.
  17. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

I've always heard rumors of Trek Holy Wars ... :shifty:

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, indeed. Heard stories of worse.

When a TV show becomes a part of one's identity it can happen that defensive of it can be quite voracious.
    Indeed. TMP is probably the biggest turning of the back on the TOS aesthetic one could do.

Danja likes this.
  19. cal888

TMP specifically states the Enterprise has been refit entirely, to the point Kirk can't even find his way around the ship. TNG's "Relics", DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" and ENT's "In a Mirror, Darkly" all show TOS style Constitution class ships without revisionist interpretation. The collection of past ships named Enterprise in the TNG observation lounge shows a TOS Enterprise, not a Discoprise. Riker's quarters in season 1 has a Shuttlecraft Galileo model. Essentially retconning TOS can't be done in isolation without impacting the visual continuity of the Berman Trek era shows as well.

Whereas ENT fixed most of it's perceived contradictions with TOS in season 4. STD and SNW on the other hand go far beyond even being a visual reboot, and can't be so easily handwaved away.

As to people going to war over a TV show, Star Trek does have a fractured fanbase. Picard season 3 by all appearances may shuffle the decks... with some haters from recent years coming onboard, while others may try and organize a boycott campaign. Maybe P+ subs go up or down in response, which could impact what is later green lit.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    dupersuper likes this.
  20. New Kid 99

New Kid 99 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Can we just ignore this guy now?

Edit: He appears to have edited out the worst of it. Now it's just complaining about design aesthetics again, so... whatever.

With Nichelle passing, I wasn't in the mood for culture war stuff.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022