Spoilers Season 3 Comic-Con reveals

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]

Hythlodeus, Blooded, Masiral and 2 others like this.
  2. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

So that's why there was a Xindi attack, a Romulan war, a cold war with the Klingons for 100 years, Cardassian border wars, Maquis wars, and major conflicts with the Borg etc..
    It explains why McCoy was so understanding of Vulcan culture and the physiology of his colleague Spock, why Archer was an avid Vulcanophile and TOS Lt Stiles a founding member of the Vulcan appreciation society.
    Humanity conquered all Terran prejudices and spread brotherly and sisterly love throughout the universe singing the 1970's 'I'd like to teach the galaxy to sing' which became the UFP national anthem.

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I’ll give this season a miss.

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why?

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Pink ring guns are so 3187.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  6. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm pretty sure this is, basically, STAR TREK: ANDROMEDA with the season about rebuilding the Federation.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

TPezz, Markonian, JoeP and 16 others like this.
  8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Like he was with The Undiscovered Country and DS9? Sounds like a great endorsement to me.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I'm gonna guess that some folks around here never read the ILIAD or the ODYSSEY from which just about every tale told since then has has some basis in.
    Or have never read any of the multitude of Classic Sci-Fi books written since the late 40's.
    There isn't one tale being told today that hasn't been described in some way shape or form before.
    :vulcan:

Hythlodeus, Markonian, JoeP and 5 others like this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I'm skimming straight passed them now. Two seasons of arguing was enough. If something really stands out, then maybe I'll say something, but otherwise... Not my problem anymore.

There were already a couple of posts where I thought about responding to, that I would've responded to before, but then I thought, "Naaahhhh.... "

JoeP, LizStargaryen, PiotrB and 4 others like this.
  11. Charles Phipps

Again, this is literally one of Gene Roddenberry's pitches.

Why it was "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda."

There was also one thing more important than utopian Trek idealism--selling that idealism. :)

Markonian and antinoos like this.
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gene Roddenberry has two shows made based off his ideas? And he would make money?

The only spinning he is doing is the fact he isn't alive to spend it.

13. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    Was that Burnham in a Trill symbiote pool?
    From the trailer, and the next scene featured a Trill.

From DS9' Equilibrium:
    [​IMG]

ETA: From Locutus. I re-uploaded the images to my Imgur account so they'll show up now. Let me know if you want me to change anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2019
    Markonian likes this.
  14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm definitely not going to read the Foundation series. I have opinions to protect!

15. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We found out from Daniel's that the Xindi eventually join the Federation. The Klingons went from enemies to allies. After Nemesis the Romulans were ready to talk.
    Star Trek's idealism should say that by the 33rd century the Federation would have peacefully expanded to include former enemies. If not as members then as allies.
    Star Trek is about peace, love, and understanding not nihilism. If those positives just completely fail, then maybe they should all give up and just die because everything is pointless.

16. Nerys Myk

He would stop spinning long enough to cash the check.

Hythlodeus, JoeP, Nyotarules and 7 others like this.
  17. Charles Phipps

All of this would be a valid critique if not for the fact that the fall of the Federation in a Star Trek story would almost certainly be the set up for restoring it and kind of the point of a Star Trek story. Given that the first season ended with Michael saving the Klingons even though they were at war with them, I'm pretty sure the writers know this. I predict the season will end with them returning to their own time after making a new alliance or retconning the "Bad Future" away completely.

Mind you, I don't think of the Federation as needing to be an Eternal All-Encompassing Thing.

Maybe the next one will be the Alliance or the Commonwealth.

TPezz, Jadeb, 777 and 4 others like this.
  18. Nerys Myk

People sitting in a circle singing Kumbaya isn't a recipe for good drama.

TPezz, JoeP, Nyotarules and 8 others like this.
  19. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

That's a sensible approach.

I've already unsubscribed from the Trek subreddit and avoid Facebook, Twitter and YouTube comments. This is my last place to discuss Discovery online, and there are only so many people you can put on ignore before threads become really confusing.

JoeP, burningoil, PiotrB and 3 others like this.
  20. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Commander Red Shirt

The idea that the Federation would or even could last forever without some waning has never made any sense. We've seen it with the other factions where some used bigger but went through their own struggles because they're older then the Federation. The shouldn't be immune that. There will always be conflict. How one address that and tries to move beyond is where the interesting story telling takes place. I've long felt the journey to "utopia" or the fight to keep it is more interesting then existing in it. The struggle to get there is what makes Star Trek interesting.

Personally I really hope there is no undoing of this. Lasting for nearly a 1000 years is a great run. Let's see the story of the Discovery crew trying to help rebuild and re-expand it and the move on from there with an entire universe that can be reshaped and re-imagined free of any talk of how things should be.

Going from the trailer I noticed some key things.
    Georgiou in uniform again. Michael in her gold command uniform again. My theory is that in hopes of rebuilding Georgiou gets made an Admiral and Michael a captain.

I loved the quick changes you see Michael go through at the beginning of the trailer as well showing her change over the year she was said to be searching.