Scribble's scribbles

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Sibyl, Mar 12, 2017.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Keep the 3D print "sprue" artifacts.

They might be good borg bits.

2. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Ach! Sorry, already tossed them. :(

I'll have plenty more if I keep on with this material soon enough, though. :)

That black material is a lot cheaper than their translucent material, but the TL is much higher resolution than the black material. The TL does not come with the supports (sprues).

I have a table stand to work on this evening, but if I have time, I'll get back to those TMP chairs.

The shuttlecraft can wait.

3. Sibyl

A closer look at these TMP chairs. I chose to upholster my CG versions like a fine suit rather than the flat (not shiny) Lycra of the originals.

[​IMG]

Cyfa and LapRestraint like this.
  4. Sibyl

A few images here in the Art section have really gotten me thinking; are my renders overly bright or have too little contrast?

I looked at one set of renders from another member here on my screen, and another and I could see more detail in the darks on the other monitor, whereas mine was almost completely black in those areas.

I have a favo(u)r to ask other members here: how does the lighting look in my renders? Not the models nor textures, just the lighting. I know it's somewhat flat on the shuttle images, but is it offensive artistically?

Speaking of the shuttle, I was spending a little more time getting used to mapping and came up with this:

[​IMG]

The floor's a little dirty and the print has worn off of the high surfaces of the nubs.

5. Sibyl

I've also remodeled my Burke chairs for easier rescaling for 3d printing and to fix a few issues I had with the model's topography.

[​IMG]

6. Sibyl

I reworked the pedestal and placed it where it should be under the chair.

I've been spending all the tired, long day on TOS Burke requests including a 1:72 miniature, so no TMP chair progress, today.

[​IMG]

Just messing around:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  7. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Your lighting looks ok to me for the most part. The contrast could use some work as they're a tad bright and washed out, but I think it's fine for these preliminary pics to show details.

8. Sibyl

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.

That's what I was afraid of. I'm using a TV as a monitor and it's not calibrated.

Time to break out the Huey. I was hoping I wouldn't need that.

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I never really liked the TOS Burke chairs, but your fuzzy picture up there (the last one) makes them look good. It looks like they're in a studio shoot or something.Fantastic!

Sibyl likes this.
  10. Sibyl

Thank you. It's the reverse shot of the one above it, with some focus and post-FX. And yup, that's one of the lights from the first shot. :)

I'm glad I could at least make them presentable for you. :)

I received the 1:10 and 1:12 scale chairs from Shapeways today. Pics coming soon.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  11. Sibyl

They are still in need of a good paint job, but here we go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sibyl

I'll have to order (and make available) the plain old Burke Style 115 version of this chair, also. I've already put the table that goes with them up.

From 1:72 to 1:6 yesterday and today. :)

13. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Wow! They came out well, didn't they. I'd keep an eye on them though, as Han looks like he's contemplating shooting his. And Kirk looks like he may vomit on the other one - I'm not sure if it's because he's been at the Romulan Ale (it appears R2D2 is helping keep him upright), or whether he's just repulsed by that giant wood louse/pill bug on the chair :lol:

- That's fascinating! I had no idea that these kinds of virtual models were in a virtual studio with virtual lights and everything. I'm pretty clueless about computer modelling (or whatever it's called. CGI?). Plus, I think I've said "virtual" too many times - the word has no meaning anymore...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Nakita Akita and Sibyl like this.
  14. Sibyl

LOL!

I think Han decided he liked his chair, in the end. Come to think of it, it kinda looks like HE'S been at the Romulan Ale.

I've never liked that sculpt of Admiral Kirk. Hell, I've never liked ANY sculpt of Admiral Kirk.

The bug thingie is a small mining drone that a friend of mine on Shapeways created. I've been collecting his ships when I get the chance.

15. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Ha! Yes, Han looks like he might fall off it!

(I must have been editing my first response to add your quote and my fascination when you replied - sorry for any confusion)

Sibyl likes this.
  16. Sibyl

I received a higher-resolution version of the black Trek-inspired ship from earlier in this thread:

[​IMG]

17. Sibyl

Same here with my last image. :)

18. Sibyl

About the "artistic" chair render above:
    It's as simple or as complex as you need it to be. :)

I started out wanting to build miniatures for FX work, but have since gone through the film oriented CG to direct-to-consumer 3d-modeled items. It's certainly been a journey, but it's been a blast, and (more recently) it's really got me excited!

Seeing those chairs next to R2 earlier today really helped me come to grips with the scale of these models. They're just nebulous objects on my PC screen until they're printed, and it's been a while since I've seen an episode of TOS to get a good look at the chairs in their environment. I'd forgotten how SMALL they are! I have an image of one of the screen-used chairs next to a yardstick, so I have a fairly exact measurement, but it's nothing without a side-by-side comparison with something familiar.

I'd done a render that I've never shown with two chairs at the back of my shuttle. I know my shuttle is nowhere near accurate, but it is 22 feet long (23, once I have the landing gear), and those chairs looked far too small to be next to that shuttle. Hence, no showing of that image. Turns out, not too far off!

I'm still limping along one one leg with the modeling technique I recently started using, but I'm improving, and this chair has helped a ton.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

20. Sibyl

Those are cool and just go to show that you don't need a bunch of expensive software to create amazing works. :)

I'm in the middle of a new commission that I started last night and should finish by sometime tomorrow or Sunday...then I'll get back to those TMP chairs (I hope). I say commission...it's more of volunteering to complete some work for someone in need of a modeler, but I'll be able to offer my work to others, as well. I think it should be a hit for some people around these parts.