Scribble's scribbles

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Sibyl, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Whatever/however you render (I still don't know if that's the right term for this type of CG art/sculpture/building?) it always looks very impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Sibyl likes this.
  2. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Thank you.

Rendering is the process of taking your model(s) and turning them into a usable picture. Rendering usually involves some sort of artistic lighting, but it can be realistic or cartoony, or anything between.

The way I explained it to my dad the first time he saw me do it in the early 2000s, I had to put it in the way that the computer is "thinking" out the image. That kinda scared him a little.

One of the things I've always kind of ignored about the process of 3d work is texturing, but is, in fact, one of the most important aspects if you're creating artistic images or animations. Ever since the early Naughts, I've modeled for 3d printing, in which case, texturing (with mapped out images) means nothing. I need to model (or sculpt) every detail that I want to appear on the finished, printed object. I'm far more comfortable modeling than sculpting (don't worry about the terms right now), but I would still like to get ZBrush to take my modeled objects and add the kinds of detail that are not easy to accomplish in a modeler. Sculpting programs are much better at that sort of thing. I'm talking about bumps and cracks and hair and tiny little details.

The images I have posted are using premade textures and only extremely basic planar or box mapping. I've yet to (again, don't worry about terms here) unwrap a model for texturing, though I have used it to create cut files for foldable models (Pepakura models (used to be known as papercraft)).

Cyfa likes this.
  3. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Ah, so "modelling" is actually making the 3d object in the computer and "rendering" is what happens afterwards (the lighting etc)? I think I've got it - Thanks!
    I had a pretty good idea about "texturing", and now thanks to your explanation, "sculpting" too. Thanks @Scribble

Sibyl likes this.
  4. Sibyl

Kind of...lighting precedes rendering. Rendering is basically the final step. You set up your composition and lighting (same as if it were a live-action production on a soundstage or on-location), change your "camera" (render) settings, and rendering is basically hitting the "record" button on your camera after everything is set up the way you want. It appears some things may be developing in the 3d-world to allow for real-time, photorealistic rendering, but as it stands now, depending on your hardware, the actual process of rending a single image can take anywhere from seconds to hours. Animation rendering time is multiplied by the number of frames (approximately...I've found that the more images my computer renders in one session, the longer each will take..ugh.).

Rekkert and Cyfa like this.
  5. Sibyl

Speaking of rendering, I'm learning a new renderer (camera for 3ds Max).

I spent all night fighting with a new update to Max; my keyboard shortcuts wouldn't work!) only to find out that I needed to load the program from the Windows Applications menu under the Start Button rather than my pinned icon. Grrr.

Anyway, I was tired enough that I got a bare minimum started on modeling, decided I hated what I was doing, and started again...then I started playing with render settings!

Well, that's kinda where I am now...I really need to draw a few more lines, but I've been up for over 24 hours now. I guess I'm up until this evening, so I'll try to get some more done. I've had enough playtime.

I'm working on a requested part for 3d printing. I was going to start with her nacelles, but this person needed the connecting dorsal.

[​IMG]

FINALLY! A QUICK renderer with specular bloom, glare, AND lens distortion!

6. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

That all sounds and looks very technical, but I can make out what it is so you've got at least one thing right ;)
    I hope you managed to get some sleep (or are getting some now).

Sibyl likes this.
  7. Sibyl

It's been a busy few days, and Sunday night/Monday I slept for nearly 20 hours after being awake for nearly 36. Such is my life.

I hope to finish this damn neck during this shift.

Textures are just playing with Octane Renderer. Quite a bit of tweaking left to do.

[​IMG]

I'm modeling it at Studio Scale for the goal of eventually printing it out. A friend needs this at half-studio scale for the Refit that he's printing and will be casting.

Cyfa likes this.
  8. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

You know what? I really like this unadorned, translucent and colourful model. I'm imagining it to be like a really firm jelly! :)

Sibyl likes this.
  9. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

So sick bro!

Sibyl likes this.
  10. Sibyl

Took several steps back this last week (one of the worst in my PC-using career).

I ended up needing to reinstall Max and all of my plugins and scripts, as well as reset my keyboard shortcuts, and finally, had to create a new Windows profile (thanks for making that SO much easier than it used to be, Microsoft--NOT!).

I'd discovered a few days ago that I had the wrong dimensions on the front and back of the neck. The torpedo bay was fine, but the ends of the neck were far too thick. Anyway, long story short, I rebuilt what I had from scratch last night.

Also, to give me more of an idea of the shapes, I've gone ahead and given it a whitish material.

The neck and the torpedo bay are separate objects right now, hence the sharp intersection between the two, but they'll be connected soon.

[​IMG]

I'm still finessing the crease in the crook of the neck above the torpedo bay. I hope to have that fixed in just a little while. After that, I'll work on the connections between the neck and saucer and the secondary hull, and finally, I'll cut some grooves and windows!

Atolm likes this.
  11. Sibyl

I need to learn to sleep.

I've been playing with too many polygons. Literally. I need to learn to step back and work simply...those creases and that forward section gave me headaches all day. I just couldn't get anything to match properly.

Then I started deleting edge loops...lots of them.

Getting there, but my next rebuild will be simple. I did work a little on the torpedo section, rounding the edges a little more. I'll be recreating the front of it in the next render, as well.

[​IMG]

Atolm likes this.
  12. Sibyl

I'm finally happy with the shape of the neck, itself. Yes, as I stated, I rebuilt it again.

Then came the busy work of creating the blue saucer connection bit (not to mention the basic shape of the saucer, too), though even THAT will need to be rebuilt; it won't take as long this time. A couple of measurements were off. WONDERFUL!

Basic shapes of the secondary hull next. Then details.

Pulling an all-nighter again tonight. I MUST finish this damn neck!

[​IMG]

Atolm likes this.
  13. Sibyl

Nope, wasn't happy in the end and decided to start again using a different modeling technique.

This neck is going to kill me. It's more complex than I'd thought. The nacelles will be easy in comparison!

Anyway, did some basic, if not totally correct, textures to make sure the model is where I need it to be before continuing.

[​IMG]
    *Edit*--made an oops on the last render...fixed it.

I think I can safely continue with this version.

ALMOST happy with the torpedo section. I need to adjust the radius of the edges a little, and of course, model the launchers, but the rest I'm happy with.

Oh, the textures are simple, single-color bitmap material mixes with masks. I wish Octane could use vector maps. At least, I don't THINK it can. I'll have to look into that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Atolm likes this.
  14. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

Brilliance!

Sibyl likes this.
  15. Sibyl

Thank you!

16. Sibyl

Doesn't look like much progress, but I'm FINALLY happy with the shape of the connecting dorsal.

[​IMG]

I'll punch the windows and airlocks later today, as well as cut out the torpedo exhaust vent in the back.

I need to adjust the ribbed bit at the top, but that should take much less time than it took to build what you see here.

I need to find a good color reference photo from TMP to get the colors right. Most of what I have are from later repaints.

Robert, I will get that basic bridge shape done tonight, as well. At least you'll have a visualization.

Atolm and cardinal biggles like this.
  17. Sibyl

Sorry, not Trek...or even sci-fi.

I had an assignment to redesign my TV wall in my living room.

Finally going to finish this house after living here for 9 years.

[​IMG]

18. Sibyl

With the lights on:

[​IMG]

The wall in the background will be changing. Currently (not shown in model) there is a door there, but I'm going to bring that out and create an entryway (catlock--cat airlock) and a coat closet.

Rekkert and cardinal biggles like this.
  19. Sibyl

Sorry for another post without an image, but I need to get a couple of things off of my chest, for my own sanity.

The Refit is my absolutely favorite vehicle of all time, both real and fictional. She's been a goal of mine to model ever since I got into CG modeling, but I haven't felt that my skills would do her justice until recently. Hell, the AMT model was the very first model kit I bought with my own money (I glued that model together, but never painted).

She's becoming a chore.

I don't know if a certain person will be seeing this message, but I'm feeling pressured to complete her.

I'm under an extreme amount of stress in my greater life lately and I have a TON of demands on my time...most having to do with my mom and dad. My dad recently came home permanently after a couple of months in a hospital and a couple of months in a physical rehab facility in order for him to gain the strength to come home. He never gained that strength; nay, he backpedaled. My mom is dealing with issue after issue, and I'm trying to be there and do what I can to help.

I don't know from one hour to the next when I'll need to throw what I'm doing down and head out the door to their house.

I'm also experiencing chest and bowel pains, not to mention bleeding from places I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be, my new progressive lenses were ground and installed wrong, so it's almost impossible for me to focus on anything, visually, and I have an almost constant headache.

I'm falling--nope, I've fallen--into another deep depression, something I thought I'd finally nipped in the bud. I thought my emotions were under control again. I guess not. I'm getting--well--PISSED--at just about everything. Extreme anger issues at the moment.

I'm afraid to go on Facebook right now. It's a place I find solace, finding and sharing funny and stupid puns and memes; looking at spaceships and interior sets; BSing with people. Now, every time I make the slightest appearance, I get what I feel are orders to complete my 3d model of the Refit, even if those strong suggestions are not meant as such. The stress is just getting to me. Admittedly, I've given many hopeful and overly-optimistic estimates of when I'll finish her, but as I mentioned, my life is in disarray.

I stepped away for a little bit to work on my future house remodeling project for a little mental vacation. That didn't last.

I have about another two days to finish modeling and printing my brother's brilliantly-failed ballon animal from when he and his neighbors had a gathering in Virginia when he lived there a few years ago, called Sterence. He's pink. He's amazing.

I need some respite. I need to refresh my mind. I don't need pressure to finish her. I want this to be fun again. "She's a lady, alright, and her name is Enterprise!"

Sorry, all, I've lost my solace in FB, so I'm airing this here.

If it's okay, when I'm finished modeling Sterence, I'll post a render of him in this thread. I may be able to adapt a Substance material for FDM printed plastic to him.

20. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

If you need a break, take the break!

I'm sorry to hear all that stuff has piled up on your plate. Take some time to sort it all out in your head and feel better. When the desire to joyfully work on your projects comes back, and it will, then you'll be far more suited to actually do the work and enjoy it. At least, that's what I've found. This is supposed to be fun! And when it's not, take a break. Those are the rules I live by.

Also, the best advice I've been following lately, is to lower your resistance to the depression when it comes. Resistance to depression or anxiety only exacerbates those powerful emotions. Learn to change your relationship with those feelings when they arise. Allow them in, allow yourself to process them. I know it's easier said than done, but daily meditation can greatly help re-train your mind and change your relationship with depression or anxiety. I recommend the app Headspace, which I've been using on an almost daily basis to take time out and meditate in the mornings before I head to work. It helps clear my mind and bring a calm to the anxious thoughts. It's not always perfect, but that's another thing you'll learn: don't beat yourself up when your best efforts are thwarted. Be gentle and kind to yourself.

Hope things get better soon and you find a peace with everything, @Scribble

Sibyl likes this.