Sci-Fi Channel Special Edition Extras...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by potablog, Sep 21, 2009.

1. potablog

potablog Lieutenant Red Shirt

2. Psi'a Meese

Psi'a Meese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm thrilled to have found this thread. Thanks so much for taking the time to share these. I own VHS recordings of the same broadcasts. I've often pondered doing a conversion to DVD and uploading, too. But never had the right equipment to do it properly.

3. Merky

Merky Captain Captain

Ah, these bring back sound found memories of my childhood. Thanks for the uploads!

4. potablog

5. Merky

Merky Captain Captain

You're really bringing back the childhood memories. Thanks so much :3

6. dmcco01

dmcco01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These are so excellent! Thanks for sharing!

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember when these first aired... I didn't catch all of them, and managed to record only a handful.

This material is simply terrific. I think it was the first time Nimoy, Shatner, and others gave such indepth details about the show in a professionally screened format. The Sci-Fi Channel did a terrific job. The graphics are really good. The filming stage was wonderfully lit, with various Star Trek original props and set pieces arranged around it.

It's amazing to see some of the interviews they captured. Certainly, Grace Lee Whitney gets a lot of face time she probably wouldn't get anywhere else, and a chance to plug her book that "tells all." :) But what really surprised me was Harlan Ellison. There's a segment where he gets all caught up on Joan Collins. Apparently Joan's memory of Star Trek is fraught with a grave error--she recalls having been Hitler's girlfriend in the episode, to the point of having stated this in a few autobiographical books she wrote. Well, Harlan is just beside himself about it even to the point of wishing he could rip her throat out. Pretty funny that this was captured... I mean, his anger was a bit over the top... I guess because it was his original story and Joan was distorting it. ;)

Anyway, it would have been so great if this material could have been sold to Paramount, to be incorporated in the DVD sets as an option... kind of like the commentary option you see available with some DVD sets. At various points the Sci-Fi Channel extra bits would appear, if the option was turned on.

I have to believe that the Sci-Fi Channel archive has all of these preserved, just waiting...

Anyway, many thanks to you for providing them to us, James. Even in VHS quality, they're great to see. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  8. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

Some of the material did appear on the Blu-ray, but it may be difficult to clear most of the footage for home video, especially the Ellison interview. He wouldn't clear having an interview of his on the Babylon 5 DVD sets, because of the low amount they were going to pay him. I'm just glad someone archived this, because this, along with the Tom Snyder special, is the only occurrence I've seen him talk about his work on Star Trek. I also wish that the Star Trek Blu-rays were similar to The Twilight Zone Blu-rays, which are loaded with commentaries and interviews.

9. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

"Low amount" as in "nothing." Everyone else did their bit for free, and so were shocked that Harlan wanted to actually be paid.

10. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

Oh, thank you. I was going to say low amount or next to nothing.

11. potablog

12. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

potablog, this is just wonderful. I taped the Shatner run, then in a fit of temporary insanity, taped over them all. :( I guess I thought SciFi would always be a bastion for classic sci-fi TV, and uncut TOS (plus intros) would be its flagship. Dopey me. Now I wish I had all the celebrity intros for the classic SF shows SciFi ran back when it was a classier outfit.

Outstanding! I never saw the Nimoy intros.

Talk about lost treasures! Thank you both so much.

13. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

My pleasure hope to add more once I install my VCR to DVD burner. My original VCR that I used to extract the clips is now a bucket of bolts. Thanks potablog for your consistent postings in the meantime!

14. potablog

15. potablog

16. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

These are fantastic! Thanks for all the work potablog!

"Archons" is also a favorite of mine, look forward to watching it. I've also enjoyed reading the rest of your blog. I'm curious, is the collecting a personal passion with reviews done for your own pleasure, or is this also a vocation for you?

I haven't gotten into figures beyond a good number of unopened Playmates from back in the TNG heyday. Some of those customs are incredible though! Love Gary 7 and Roberta Lincoln, also the real Zephram Cochrane :)

17. potablog

Sorry for the delayed reply GNDN...

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the site! The site and my collection are entirely a personal passion. I started it a couple of years ago when I noticed how many sites were devoted to Star Wars collecting... and how little were devoted to Star Trek collecting. I figured there had to be other people out there that wanted to read about Trek merchandise just as much as me. So I started the site to help fill the void! I don't make any money whatsoever from the site, but it has lead to some cool opportunities- like contributing to the upcoming Star Trek Vault book, doing a panel on Trek collectibles for Creation Ent., and blogging for Startrek.com... so it's been well worth it!

And since I'm here... "Wolf In The Fold" just went up!

http://www.apieceoftheaction.net/2011/05/star-trek-sci-fi-channel-special_22.html

Thanks!
    potablog

18. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Lovin' these intros, potablog. Thanks again. :techman:

19. potablog

20. potablog