Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman to star in Deadpool III (2024)

I know that James Mangold has said that it takes place 5 years after the end of DOFP (when Logan wakes up in the mansion) but I’ve always viewed Logan as being standalone & existing in a “possible” future, as sort of Dark Knight Returns scenario. So Wolverine being alive in a Deadpool movie (which have never been overly faithful to the continuity of the X-films anyway) doesn’t bother me at all.

The only think that can't be somehow explained either though huge coincidences, or convoluted logic, is Xavier meeting Magneto at 17. Even Magneto helping build Cerebro can be true as long as he helps build one of the versions over the years. Which we saw when the rebuilt the mansion after the explosion didn't we?

I know that James Mangold has said that it takes place 5 years after the end of DOFP (when Logan wakes up in the mansion) but I’ve always viewed Logan as being standalone & existing in a “possible” future, as sort of Dark Knight Returns scenario. So Wolverine being alive in a Deadpool movie (which have never been overly faithful to the continuity of the X-films anyway) doesn’t bother me at all.
The Deadpool films seem to always be set in a nondescript 'present' so I doubt the movie would have been set after 2029 anyway. ( Unless it takes a real long time to be released! :shifty: ) Then again, the second movie involved time travel, so it's not impossible that DP3 would address the future in some way that would implicate Logan, but it's certainly not a given.

I know that James Mangold has said that it takes place 5 years after the end of DOFP (when Logan wakes up in the mansion) but I’ve always viewed Logan as being standalone & existing in a “possible” future, as sort of Dark Knight Returns scenario.
Yeah, if Wolverine were waking up at the end of DoFP to a future in which no mutant children had been born in ten years because of genetically modified corn (which, reminder: Logan is actually a pretty dumb flick), I would think Professor X wouldn't welcome him with a kindly, relaxed smile, but with a gruff "good to have you back, Logan; there's a crisis we must face at once which threatens all mutantkind."

Yeah, if Wolverine were waking up at the end of DoFP to a future in which no mutant children had been born in ten years because of genetically modified corn (which, reminder: Logan is actually a pretty dumb flick), I would think Professor X wouldn't welcome him with a kindly, relaxed smile, but with a gruff "good to have you back, Logan; there's a crisis we must face at once which threatens all mutantkind."
I think Logan is vague on what has happened to the X-Men. My guess would be that at least one may have died as a result of Onslaught and the others went underground like in the comics. Most other movies and shows talk about them being missing. There's potential for the X-Men to be working off camera to foil Sinister. Quite apart from all of this, Magik is a time traveller.

I think Logan is vague on what has happened to the X-Men. My guess would be that at least one may have died as a result of Onslaught and the others went underground like in the comics.
Several of them were killed in the "Westchester incident". I think we're supposed to assume that others were killed by the Reavers but it's hard to imagine the more powerful ones getting taken down by those guys.

Several of them were killed in the "Westchester incident". I think we're supposed to assume that others were killed by the Reavers but it's hard to imagine the more powerful ones getting taken down by those guys.
In the comics everyone was believed to have died. Are you sure you saw what you thought you saw?

I didn't see it, they left it out of the movie. If the scene had remained in the film it would probably have clarified things.

Huh? I thought it was implied Professor X accidentally killed the X-men with his growing dementia.

Huh? I thought it was implied Professor X accidentally killed the X-men with his growing dementia.
Yes, but I wasn't talking about the X-Men. They also very specifically said that no mutants had been born in years. Hell, it's the very first line of the Wikipedia plot summary: "In 2029, no mutants have been born in 25 years, and an aging Logan suffers as his healing ability is failing."

So, even if one assumes that Logan takes place in the same timeline as all the other movies, i.e., a few years after the happy future from the end of DoFP, the X-Men would have been in crisis mode for a long time.

Yes, but I wasn't talking about the X-Men. They also very specifically said that no mutants had been born in years. Hell, it's the very first line of the Wikipedia plot summary: "In 2029, no mutants have been born in 25 years, and an aging Logan suffers as his healing ability is failing."

So, even if one assumes that Logan takes place in the same timeline as all the other movies, i.e., a few years after the happy future from the end of DoFP, the X-Men would have been in crisis mode for a long time.
Yes. For the 25 year thing to be correct, Sinister would have had to start implementing from pretty much the end of the Wolverine but its impact would not be noticed for some 15 years that leaves 10 years to investigate.
We also still don't know how Logan got his adamantium back nor why Charles and Erik were in a flap (possibly the Sentinel program but it seems a bit soon to panic over that given that it had been around for decades already).

Yes. For the 25 year thing to be correct, Sinister would have had to start implementing from pretty much the end of the Wolverine but its impact would not be noticed for some 15 years that leaves 10 years to investigate.

???? It would have started happening in 2004. ( And strangely not mentioned in any other film. As has been pointed out Logan kind of wants to be the Dark Fate of X-Men movies. )

We also still don't know how Logan got his adamantium back

He never lost his adamantium. He lost his claws, but it can be presumed that Erik had something to do with those coming back.

???? It would have started happening in 2004. ( And strangely not mentioned in any other film. As has been pointed out Logan kind of wants to be the Dark Fate of X-Men movies. )

He never lost his adamantium. He lost his claws, but it can be presumed that Erik had something to do with those coming back.
Yeah but X-Men was set in 'the near future' made in 2000, and the following two movies take place over less than a year. So Sinister might have kick started his plan as a direct result of events in X3.

From memory, Logan's metal claws were back in the post credit scene of the Wolverine before allyingwith Magneto. Fox continuity was appalling. Of course Polaris could have been the one to help him in the missing year. Who knows what hijinks he might have gotten up to with Yukio?

@Pauln6 Re: the 'no mutants have been born in 25 years' thing, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

IOW, us not having any indication that it's happening when Logan wakes back up in 2023 at the end of DoFP doesn't mean that it's not happening.

Also, we don't really need to know how the damage that Magneto caused to Logan's Adamantium superskeleton was repaired in the OG timeline.

People have been exaggerating their critiques and criticism of the XMCU's continuity since 2009, and the arguments don't get any more persuasive with the passage of time.

XMCU continuity is actually fairly easy to understand if the willingness to do so is there.

@Pauln6 Re: the 'no mutants have been born in 25 years' thing, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

IOW, us not having any indication that it's happening when Logan wakes back up in 2023 at the end of DoFP doesn't mean that it's not happening.

Also, we don't really need to know how the damage that Magneto caused to Logan's Adamantium superskeleton was repaired in the OG timeline.

People have been exaggerating their critiques and criticism of the XMCU's continuity since 2009, and the arguments don't get any more persuasive with the passage of time.

XMCU continuity is actually fairly easy to understand if the willingness to do so is there.
Actually I have always felt that X1-3, the Wolverine, and DoFP hang together well and I have minimal issues with the stuff that happens off camera. It's the soft reboot discrepancies that frustrate me more.

We don't know that the X-Men are dead, we just know that they are 'missing' as in not around. Maybe they are in Secret Wars! We know that something bad happened and that some X-Men were officially listed as deceased. We don't know which.

Personally, I felt that the X-Men were supporting players in their own franchise and I would love to see them, or even Cable, resolve the Sinister storyline with X23 and/or the New Mutants. Use Magik's time travel if necessary.

Unlikely to happen but who knows...

Back