Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

Ncuti dropiing spoilers speaking at the GQ Men of the Year awards.

“It has been a crazy year. An absolutely crazy, crazy year. I shouldn't say this, but there was a scene that I somehow shot with the first Doctor, William Hartnell. We ended up in the same scene together and to see that history, and now a Black man as the Doctor…, I'm very very, very grateful".

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/ncuti-gatwa-jodie-turner-smith-men-of-the-year-2023

Regarding the "rebranding" of this becoming season 1 as opposed to season 14, I can see the logic if one follows the whole "comic book reboot" theory. That is, long running comic book series frequently reboot themselves and start over with the numbering under the logic of "issue 1 sells more copies than issue 45." I can certainly see RTD, BBC and Disney embracing that concept as far as Doctor Who is concerned with the belief that season 1 will get more viewers than season 14 will. After all, they're trying to hook new viewers who haven't watched Doctor Who before. "Season 1" looks a lot less daunting than "Season 14" does. Same reason why when the show was revived in 2005 they called it season 1 as opposed to season 27.

Pardon the double post, but I just stumbled upon something I figured should be addressed. I was looking up TV listings on Futon Critic, and they claim that the coming Doctor Who specials will be available on Disney+ at 3:01 am (they don't specify, but I'm guessing that's East Coast, would be consistent with the usual practice of going up at midnight on the West Coast). If accurate, that would mean Disney+ is getting the episodes before they air on BBC1, which is quite unusual to say the least.

I usually consider Futon Critic trustworthy, but in this case I feel a need to question if this is legit. The best I was expecting was a simultaneous release with BBC1's broadcast. Is it possible that could still be the case, and this is just a placeholder until the air time becomes publicly announced? For that matter, has BBC announced what time it will air? My understanding was such information was usually announced within two weeks of broadcast, and we're well in that window now.

No it didn't. It was always called Series 5 outside of production documents.
…And at least two issues of DWM where Moffat tried to sell the new branding. I don’t really think the BBC website structure is any weightier than that.

Ultimately these things get decided by what fans call them, not by what appears on a website or a streaming service’s episode selection.

The broadcast time of “The Star Beast” and “Wild Blue Yonder” on the BBC is 6:30 PM local time, which would be 1:30 PM on the East Coast and 10:30 AM on the West Coast. I would guess that what Futon Critic is showing is just a default since they don’t know the real time, but we’ll see.

So Karen Gillan was at London comic con this weekend with her hair dyed red because as she says she is filming something she can't talk about and reunited with an actor everyone loves.

Well, she’s reuniting with Moffat and working with an actor everyone loves (I can’t remember if they’ve worked together before or not) but it doesn’t seem to be DW-related.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/...jPUSDM5VD-SoGIFCA_zHlCC1Nqo9boS9VkwpKwy2TYYKQ

I’m a huge fan of Moffat but I really hope he’s not going to write one of these tiresome “cancel culture is ruining lives” diatribes that the so-called cancelled write from (checks notes) well-paid columns in national newspapers.

Edit: I thought Bonneville might be the actor everyone loves she was referring to, having overlooked Alex Kingston’s name in the credits, but it’s clearly her onscreen daughter.

Last edited:
Well, she’s reuniting with Moffat and working with an actor everyone loves (I can’t remember if they’ve worked together before or not) but it doesn’t seem to be DW-related.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/...jPUSDM5VD-SoGIFCA_zHlCC1Nqo9boS9VkwpKwy2TYYKQ

I’m a huge fan of Moffat but I really hope he’s not going to write one of these tiresome “cancel culture is ruining lives” diatribes that the so-called cancelled write from (checks notes) well-paid columns in national newspapers.

Well hopefully he'll do something interesting with the concept

Ncuti dropiing spoilers speaking at the GQ Men of the Year awards.

“It has been a crazy year. An absolutely crazy, crazy year. I shouldn't say this, but there was a scene that I somehow shot with the first Doctor, William Hartnell. We ended up in the same scene together and to see that history, and now a Black man as the Doctor…, I'm very very, very grateful".

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/ncuti-gatwa-jodie-turner-smith-men-of-the-year-2023

So he's simply acting out what he's been told to say, about being superimposed in a shot with Hartnell. Like the DS9 episode where they filmed current cast members mingling with the old one.

Needless to say, I'm hyped.

Well hopefully he'll do something interesting with the concept
Worth checking out for the cast alone, which also includes Alex Kingston, Ben Miles, and Hugh Bonneville.

Edit: I thought Bonneville might be the actor everyone loves she was referring to, having overlooked Alex Kingston’s name in the credits, but it’s clearly her onscreen daughter.

Karen and Hugh worked in the season 6 episode “curse of the black spot “

So looks like the Children In Need scene is picking up directly where the DWM comic "Liberation of the Daleks" ended. I thought the BBC weren't allowed to do things like that but maybe it doesn't count as it's not an full episode?

And I'm all for colour blind casting but surely if anybody should be just be played by white people it's the Kaleds.

79rdbzfL_o.jpg

kf86EZHA_o.jpg
Does anyone know what time this is on at tonight? I know it’ll probably be on YouTube straight away, but even so.

Edit: purely by chance I caught it without having to sit through the rest of CIN. Result!

Last edited:
Starting to get worried that Bernard Cribbins won't be in the Specials after all. He's been totally absent from the publicity and isn't on any of the officially released cast lists.

Tennant did say long ago that he hadn't been able to shoot everything planned, so I'm hoping it's not the case that when they put the episodes together there was too much missing and they had to cut him out entirely.

Starting to get worried that Bernard Cribbins won't be in the Specials after all. He's been totally absent from the publicity and isn't on any of the officially released cast lists.

Tennant did say long ago that he hadn't been able to shoot everything planned, so I'm hoping it's not the case that when they put the episodes together there was too much missing and they had to cut him out entirely.
I doubt they'd cut him, being that DW was his final filming gig before his passing.

Just be patient.

Back