Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

As quick as you know it tomorrows headline will be

"BBC announces Stephen Moffat to write six episodes of series 15"

;)

JRob94 likes this.
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed, and another thing to consider, Moffat's time on Doctor Who was exhausting in general, even without factoring in that he stayed longer than he intended. After all, he had the high profile 50th anniversary (an experience he has admitted made him burn out) and while he was running Doctor Who he was also working on Sherlock, which had its popularity take off a lot more than anyone expected it to.

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Bring it on, RDT and Moffet back again at Who. :)

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

*Unethusiastic*

Oh yeah. Another plot line revolving another child and mostly their entire life.

madame de pompadour
    Amy Pond
    River Song
    Kazran Sardick

This didn't involve their entire life span but special mention goes to "Cal" from "The Forest of the Dead"

Jedman67 likes this.
  5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're probably right on.

But one thing gives me pause. I was at a convention that Moffat attended and he said that after leaving the show, he thought up of a unique alien to use in a DW story. He seemed intrigued by it. Of course, he kept the idea to himself in case he wanted to use it later.

I don't know if that idea would ever prompt him to return but I can also imagine that his mind is always thinking of new ideas and that eventually one of them might prompt him to write another DW script.

And I note that you say "at this time" and I agree, so maybe for the 70th anniversary?! :)

ATimson and The Nth Doctor like this.
  6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Indeed and it should be also noted that both shows declined a bit in quality (at least in the eyes of the general audiences) because of that dual workload and super success.

I can certainly agree with that. Much like Davies (who was also burned out), I could see him wanting to return eventually on a temporary basis (probably less so than whatever Davies is about to do). Not necessarily the 70th anniversary, but maybe an episode or two like the early days of the show's return.

ATimson, Jedman67 and Mr Awe like this.
  7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

They do need to get new writers in, and I'm still (possibly forlornly) hopeful that Maxine Alderton will return, but throwing a Moffat episode in once a season? Hell yeah!

8. The Nth Doctor

I want both her and Rona Munro to return.

Starkers likes this.
  9. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the one (sort of) new writer who's a pretty safe bet is Juno Dawson.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I find it hard to believe that, if nothing else, the prospect of writing for another Scottish Doctor must surely be tempting him.

Starkers and Haggis and tatties like this.
  11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

He will be back, no question about it, as the BBC are trying to get people back watching the show, and what better way than to bringing back tried and tested show runners to steer the ship back on course. :-)

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Indeed, but that has to be balanced with new voices, I like to hope RTD is well aware of this.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Steve Roby likes this.
  14. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually was fully released in one go and ends with a scene that leads into the beginning of "The Star Beast".

It is also revealed in the story that
    something is wrong with the Doctor's timeline.

So safe to say Russell was involved in the production.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  15. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What'd you think of Solitaire?

16. The Nth Doctor

I loved it! I'm a big fan of Companion Chronicles and I think Solitaire was one of the best stories to utilize the format.

17. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BBC uploading clips of the Doctor (Hartnell) meeting the Toymaker to Youtube.

Is anyone still in any doubt as to who NPH is playing?

Uploaded 11 hours ago.

Commander Troi and JRob94 like this.
  18. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's one of the best stories of the Eight-Charley run. It doesn't even play in narration, its a straight-up audio play with just Charley and the Toymaker, with the Doctor reduced to a puppet. Brilliant!

Also, I think it's John Dorney's first script? Though it might also had been The Fourth Wall (a Sixth Doctor/Flip story), but its a very early one anyway, and a good indication of what was to come from him.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  19. The Nth Doctor

I know the possibility of Confidential returning has been discussed and rumored but now we have confirmation: Instead of Confidential, we'll be getting an "entertainment factual series" after each episode of Doctor Who. Running at 30 minutes apiece, it sounds like it's essentially Confidential in all but name.

Russell T Davies, Doctor Who Showrunner says:

“Over the years, I meet so many people who were inspired to find careers in TV, because of the behind-the-scenes material the BBC would show. And now it’s back, in the grand old tradition of Doctor Who Confidential, but in a brand new form, Unleashed! So a whole new generation – and faithful fans of old – can see what the stars and the crew get up to behind the cameras.”
    Steffan Powell, Host of Doctor Who: Unleashed says:

“When you’re told Russell T Davies is asking for you to present a show, you say, ‘when does he want me?’ Doesn’t matter, I’ll be there…There’s a really fun and fascinating group of people bringing Doctor Who to life - I can’t wait for the audience to meet them. I’m so chuffed to have been trusted to help tell, in all its glory, the story of what goes into making the magic happen.”
    I'm not familiar with Steffan Powell. Is having him as a host a good thing or will the sky be falling soon?

Richard S. Ta and Commander Troi like this.
  20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't really know who he is so no idea!

Richard S. Ta likes this.