Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

That said, I do also detect the weariness in his voice and I don't blame him. It's clear he stayed longer on the show that he wanted (much like JNT) and stuck around as long as he did for the sake of keeping the show on (again, JNT). I seriously doubt he hasn't recovered from that exhaustion yet so I definitely don't expect him to return at this time.
Indeed, and another thing to consider, Moffat's time on Doctor Who was exhausting in general, even without factoring in that he stayed longer than he intended. After all, he had the high profile 50th anniversary (an experience he has admitted made him burn out) and while he was running Doctor Who he was also working on Sherlock, which had its popularity take off a lot more than anyone expected it to.

When in doubt, Moffat lies! ;)

That said, I do also detect the weariness in his voice and I don't blame him. It's clear he stayed longer on the show that he wanted (much like JNT) and stuck around as long as he did for the sake of keeping the show on (again, JNT). I seriously doubt he hasn't recovered from that exhaustion yet so I definitely don't expect him to return at this time.
I think you're probably right on.

But one thing gives me pause. I was at a convention that Moffat attended and he said that after leaving the show, he thought up of a unique alien to use in a DW story. He seemed intrigued by it. Of course, he kept the idea to himself in case he wanted to use it later.

I don't know if that idea would ever prompt him to return but I can also imagine that his mind is always thinking of new ideas and that eventually one of them might prompt him to write another DW script.

And I note that you say "at this time" and I agree, so maybe for the 70th anniversary?! :)

Indeed, and another thing to consider, Moffat's time on Doctor Who was exhausting in general, even without factoring in that he stayed longer than he intended. After all, he had the high profile 50th anniversary (an experience he has admitted made him burn out) and while he was running Doctor Who he was also working on Sherlock, which had its popularity take off a lot more than anyone expected it to.
Indeed and it should be also noted that both shows declined a bit in quality (at least in the eyes of the general audiences) because of that dual workload and super success.

But one thing gives me pause. I was at a convention that Moffat attended and he said that after leaving the show, he thought up of a unique alien to use in a DW story. He seemed intrigued by it. Of course, he kept the idea to himself in case he wanted to use it later.

I don't know if that idea would ever prompt him to return but I can also imagine that his mind is always thinking of new ideas and that eventually one of them might prompt him to write another DW script.

And I note that you say "at this time" and I agree, so maybe for the 70th anniversary?! :)
I can certainly agree with that. Much like Davies (who was also burned out), I could see him wanting to return eventually on a temporary basis (probably less so than whatever Davies is about to do). Not necessarily the 70th anniversary, but maybe an episode or two like the early days of the show's return.

Finally got a chance to watch the trailer properly on my computer (been busy)...and I will say, Davies eccentricities aside, I do love how the story appears to be an epic battle between The Doctor and The Celestial Toymaker. That's a notion I've always loved and it's a shame never did that (even though it once tried to go there in that aborted Colin Baker season). Big Finish handled the character brilliantly during the Ace/Hex run so I'm excited to see the show itself tackle him.
What'd you think of Solitaire?

I loved it! I'm a big fan of Companion Chronicles and I think Solitaire was one of the best stories to utilize the format.
It's one of the best stories of the Eight-Charley run. It doesn't even play in narration, its a straight-up audio play with just Charley and the Toymaker, with the Doctor reduced to a puppet. Brilliant!

Also, I think it's John Dorney's first script? Though it might also had been The Fourth Wall (a Sixth Doctor/Flip story), but its a very early one anyway, and a good indication of what was to come from him.

I know the possibility of Confidential returning has been discussed and rumored but now we have confirmation: Instead of Confidential, we'll be getting an "entertainment factual series" after each episode of Doctor Who. Running at 30 minutes apiece, it sounds like it's essentially Confidential in all but name.

Russell T Davies, Doctor Who Showrunner says:

“Over the years, I meet so many people who were inspired to find careers in TV, because of the behind-the-scenes material the BBC would show. And now it’s back, in the grand old tradition of Doctor Who Confidential, but in a brand new form, Unleashed! So a whole new generation – and faithful fans of old – can see what the stars and the crew get up to behind the cameras.”
Steffan Powell, Host of Doctor Who: Unleashed says:

“When you’re told Russell T Davies is asking for you to present a show, you say, ‘when does he want me?’ Doesn’t matter, I’ll be there…There’s a really fun and fascinating group of people bringing Doctor Who to life - I can’t wait for the audience to meet them. I’m so chuffed to have been trusted to help tell, in all its glory, the story of what goes into making the magic happen.”
I'm not familiar with Steffan Powell. Is having him as a host a good thing or will the sky be falling soon?

Back