RUMOUR nonbinary teen character in S3

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Jul 4, 2019.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't Tilly supposed to be a teen? Or very early 20's at the latest, even though she's played by a 30something.

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

She was a fourth-year cadet at the beginning of the series. So I'm guessing she was 21 or 22. Assuming she started right from when she was 18 and also wasn't on the "five-year plan". I personally was on the "six-year plan" in college. :p

But anyway, it's not the same thing. There's a huge difference between 16 and 22.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  3. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The writing of Discovery is so childish, immature, and on the nose, that I don't expect them to be able to handle this character/subject with any level of maturity or thoughtfulness.

4. Lord Garth

They're handling the relationship between Stamets and Culber pretty well, including the ups and downs.

And while not the same as Non-Binary, Michelle Paradise is a lesbian. I would think that a showrunner who's a member of the LGBTQ+ Community, or Allied, would be far more likely to handle it with more maturity and thoughtfulness than the way someone who's cis/straight and not allied might (or might not) handle it.

In other words: I think you're barking up the wrong tree and are only being critical for the rote sake of being critical.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

All we can do is wait and see.

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if you look at their history on here, that isn't far from the truth.

Lord Garth likes this.
  8. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

Just write a great character period. Discovery needs as many as they can get, don't have a derth of those currently ... Then package that character how you wish, make the character stand out on it's merits vs. Pandering

Discovery is poorly written IMO, but should expect that from Kurtzman n Co.

9. Lord Garth

I'm going to guess that if the 16-year-old character acts 16, some people will see that as an opening, will point to it, and say "See? They're handling it immaturely!" Anything they can grab onto. And, if they go the other way and the 16-year-old acts wise beyond their years, they'll say "It's Mary Sue #2!" If they can't get the character one way, they'll get them another.

If either of these ends up happening, I'm going to link right back to this post.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

As long as the character doesn’t act like that irritating princess/queen, I’ll probably be okay.

Lord Garth likes this.
  11. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I would hope they'd be human. Having Trek's first transgender character be an alien would deeply insulting.

The Wormhole likes this.
  12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about the second?

There's a rainbow of diversity up there.

13. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the soap-y over-the-top/all-emotions-at-once drama writing of DIS would certainly fit well for teenage characters:guffaw:

In all seriousness though: My problems with DIS' writing is the bad plotting and lack of story logic. They've done a pretty good job with characters though, and I think I trust this show with adequately depicting a (LGBTQ+) teen more than any previous Trek show.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this news is legit, it's likely that the new character is an alien. Obviously not going to be part of the Discovery crew (assuming this person is actually a teenager), and if the Federation really has fallen, they're not likely to find more humans in whatever part of the galaxy they are in.

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean, technically weren't those genderless aliens in TNG the first non-binary characters?

Then you have the Trill symbiotes.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was Craft human? He sure looked it.

Although ENT says what look like humans are actually hybrids with loads of alien DNA.

17. Awesome Possum

They don’t count as a transgender character, especially since they were never intended to be trans. One character was a misguided attempt at making a very special episode about gay people that ends up being more about conversion therapy. Another comes off as being more about women’s rights and the main moral being that you shouldn’t try to help someone better their life because when it fails, they’ll kill themselves. If this character ends up being an alien, they won’t count either because the implication is that this is just something that only happens with aliens.

Daddy Todd likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

I equate that to something like how it's possible I'm part Mongolian because how the Mongols conquered Persia in 1219. Technically I could be "Mongolian", but... So I'd consider Craft Human, even if he has some mixed ancestry.

There are probably a lot more "mongrels" by the 33rd Century. That would be interesting to see more of in the third season.

19. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't have a problem with the concept of a nonbinary character and it could be pretty cool, EXCEPT, why a teen???? Just seems to be a stupid ploy to get a younger audience. All I can think of is 90210 in space, lol.

20. Awesome Possum

That show is nearly 30 years old, you may want to update that reference.

They could be the child of another character, I don’t think they’d introduce a younger character to bring in younger audiences. Especially since it tends to intended for older audiences in terms of tone and content.