Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Same here. And if this project goes off full steam, I have some concerns. Certain TNG FX shots, like the ones in WNOHGB, were works of art I'd hate to see lost. They'd need to be lovingly recreated.

I'd think so too. I did get into TOS, the shows, the films, comics, but TNG is the big dog in terms of mass appeal. It would be shown a lot on HDTV. The discs will sell. I imagine since the Trek DVD's have been so expensive a TNG-R will be the priciest blu-ray out there.

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The original TOS effects were included on the Blurays, the same could be done for TNG.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not true. Their live action was shot on film just like TNG was.

4. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dear CBS,
    I would happily work on remastering TNG in HD for only the price of the plane ticket, and enough money to maintain my holo-addiction. In return you will get many years of almost free labour from a true Trek fan (just the other night I dreamed that Spock fell in love with me, but it was nuSpock so it sorta doesn't count, but it's the thought that counts, right?). Just to prove that I'm serious, I modeled Voyager. Only a true diehard fan would waste time on Voyager.

Yours sincerely, BlobVanDam

PS. Don't be surprised if the original film frame of the Picard facepalm goes missing and miraculously reappears in my Trek collection.

5. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were on film though. Remastering the TOS episodes would be remaster whole episode from film, then replace effects shots.

TNG would be recreate the episode from original recordings (hopefully all sorts of deleted scenes would turn up in the process) then recreate VFX shots. To include the original FX would mean upscaling that footage and inserting in the new HD master.

6. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course if they go back to the original film and examine it all (they may not have time/desire) it does bring up an interesting dilemma.

I've only seen a little of the TOS-R (not in HD) but there were some extreme closeups shots somewhat spolit by being cropped for widescreen.

With TNG there might be other takes and/or other angles. Instead of using a cropped closeup they could use a cropped wideshot. But is that a step too far?

7. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

There was something wrong with the presentation of TOS-R you saw. It should be shown in the original aspect ratio of 4:3. Whoever cropped it to 16:9 messed up.

8. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Well exactly, that's what they'd have to do. It wouldn't look very nice, but those wanting authenticity would be satisfied. Alternatively, just put the SD masters on the disc too. TNG was inherently a SD show, unlike TOS which had every episode finished as a complete 35mm reel of film.

9. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Throughout this thread and throughout the whole debate on remastering TNG, DS9 and VOY, econmic feasibility has always been a major concern.

Of course it has to be. However, in the end, the proprietors of the Star Trek series must have an intrinsic interest in the remastering of this product. These series have the potential to be popular, much watched and loved for decades to come, if one takes into account all the people alive today who grew up with the stuff. However, given the ever advancing technical quality of film, the old series will eventually become unwatchable as they will look increasingly ugly and obsolete.

Therefore, remastering TNG, DS9 and VOY is a sensible long term investement. They just need to organise it well, which I believe is exactly what they have been trying to do. Of course it will be costly. But if they master it on 35mm this time, they will get many subsequent releases out of this. Thus, as the decades go by they will reap the dividends. Star Trek has done this so many times over the course of its history. Surely, we haven't seen the end of it yet?

10. JennaL

JennaL Ensign Red Shirt

Star Trek in HD = Amazing!!!

11. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

At what resolution do they usually upscale the HD masters to before getting them down to 1080p for Bluray?

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hell its still getting good ratings and shown all over the place, imagine the appeal of a new "look" new FX update? It'll almsot seem like a new show to people.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Film has a much higher resolution than even HD. If their smart they'll scan the film elements at 4K resolution future proofing the work for the next jump in technology.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Agreed..doing it now can future proof the series so its taken care of once and for all. It'll take 4-5 years, perhaps 6...but it'll keep the revenue going for a long time too, look at it that way..

They have to allocate more time and more resources to the project than TOS-R, its obvious with the amount of work, so hopefully it will be budgeted sensibly and the results will show.

RAMA

15. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

This thread is useless without pictures :) I will wait for the official announcement, I think most here have a grasp of the technical challenges involved with TNG thru ENT vs. TOS. I will be VERY interested in what route they take.

16. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People keep repeating this erroneous info. Others have tried to correct it, and now I'll try. It's probably futile...

The effects were shot on 35mm film, too.

It's the compositing, editing, and the beams, lights, etc. that were done at SD resolution on video.

So, all the shots of ships, etc. were done on film.

Doug

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is sensible of course, but from what I recall--this may well be faulty--they do not have the original FX anymore in 35mm. From what I recall, they only have live action footage in 35mm. I believe Okuda suggested this...I wouldn't mind finding info to the contrary.

RAMA

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

remastering TNG to HD (again)

Thanks Doug.

For completeness here are the other threads:

the complete thread open over 2 years with 679 replies:
    Star Trek TNG Remastered?

and additional:
    May 2010's
    STNG remastered and in 3D?? CBS weighs in on this!

February 2011's
    Has TNG Been Remastered?

June 2010's
    TNG remastered in HD? It CAN be done.

Yes we don't have an official announcement from CBS Television (yet) but the 2012 expected release date of Trek XII at the cinema should bring home video releases to coincide with the film's release and eventual Autumn Blu-ray/DVD release.
    I'm expecting something more along the lines of a blu-ray of ENT see this thread:
    Star Trek: Enterprise seasons Blu-ray spec. features wishlist

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Elsewhere I attempted a compendium of images to show what the STNG-R might comprise, here it is:

Resolution/ aspect ratio: The aspect ratio is correct but the resolution here is actually slightly less than 1080p(1920x1080), then shrunk down for the BBS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/RAMA4444/ST/Clip_4.jpg

A good CGI ENT-D, that could still use a biut of tweaking. its already 6 years old!

http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x22/thesearethevoyages202.jpg

Aspect ratio, what looks diff...wider and shorter:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/ent_vs_tng.htm

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

CGI Enterprise-D

I'm sure for consistency of TNG-Remastered for 7 seasons they would do all exterior ship visual effects with CGI Ent-D.
    Also it would be less of a hassle to find visual effects work that didn't include actors.