Rumor: Paramount Cancels Star Trek 4 And All Trek Movies After

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Danlav05, Sep 21, 2020.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Star Wars has hundreds of "breaking news" (all with bogus--I mean--"unnamed sources") of the impending demise of this or that or the firing of this person or that person. Why should Star Trek be any different?

2. valden

valden Commander Red Shirt

Not surprised. I wish we got more from this cast

Smellmet likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek works best on TV anyway, and it is currently flourishing on TV just fine these days.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There will be another Star Trek movie, too valuable of a property to keep out of the cinema for long. What form it takes, is anybody's guess.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

If true I'd be delighted. The last Trek movie I loved was Undiscovered Country. Not a fan of the TNG movies which weren't as good as the show and I really don't like the Kelvin movies.

If true, break some new ground. New crew, new era, whatever. No reboots or recasts.

Better still, keep it on TV. It is it's natural home and best fit.

6. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

I agree. At some point there's going to be somebody who goes in for a pitch with "It's Romeo and Juliet in space, but the twist is he's a Klingon and she's a Gorn. Can they ever make it work?"

And there will be a suit who says "That...is...the...most...BRILLIANT thing I've ever heard. If you can get it out by Christmas and get McDonald's to sell toys, we'll give you whatever you want to make it."

SolarisOne, Allyn Gibson and BillJ like this.
  7. BillJ

Why would you want to deny other folks something they like? I loved going every three years or so to the theater to see Star Trek on the big screen.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not because I'd take any pleasure in denying others the chance.

Partly because of the repeated disappointment from successive movies (especially Beyond) and partly because I really would rather Trek stick to TV. I don't think it's well suited to movies and movie makers, but it thrives on the small screen.

Investment and effort would be best directed there.

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If it weren't for the movies, Star Trek wouldn't have returned to TV in 1987 or 2017.

Ovation, SolarisOne, Reyman and 3 others like this.
  10. BillJ

Disappointments? Yeah they were there, but there was nothing like going. As much as I loathe Insurrection, I still kick myself in the rear for not going to see it in the theater. The only one I've passed on.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That may well be true, but it's not an argument for continuing to make them now.

Edit - I've no real issue I suppose, as long as the movies don't detract from the shows, take resources from them or otherwise screw with the TV version.

Apart from that I'll no doubt shell out on a cinema ticket and Bluray for something I probably don't like.

But that's stupid and entirely on me...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not like they can't devote resources to both...:shrug:

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

They're not being handled by the same people and money for one doesn't translate into money for the other, so I see the TV and Movie productions as being completely separate. Noah Hawley's film, for instance, would have nothing to do with how Michelle Paradise runs Discovery.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  14. BillJ

The essence of being a Star Trek fan. :techman:

Relayer1 likes this.
  15. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

We're years away from one at best anyway. Nothing's really getting done and we just hear the same 3 or so pitches getting circled around with nothing really happening. If a theatrical movie does eventually happen it'll probably be nothing like the ideas we've been hearing about these past few years.

16. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's no rush anyway, theatres are dead for the moment. DISCO is still streaming and probably has more serials to produce. After its run, I think DISCO would be a good choice to send off on the big screen, by that time theatres will be back and running again.

MrPicard likes this.
  17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

So there was this guy called Paramount who wouldn't commit to a serious relationship with this girl called Star Trek even after they had a wonderful start to the relationship in 2009. The girl wanted to get serious and paramount had it's finger up it's nose and dragged it's feet for 11 years.

18. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

he’s now past TOS trek kirk age. Shatner was 38 when the show ended. So Pine would be an admiral at this point sitting at a desk for the next few years, yeah he’s to old now to be a first 5 year mission Kirk. He’s aged out of that. He’s got 8 years until TMP age and only 10 for WOK age.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no reason for the time frame to be the same from Kirk to Kirk.

Ovation, SolarisOne and saddestmoon like this.
  20. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

No but he is getting older. He’s no longer the fresh faced young kirk of the Kelvin movies or even tos. He’s a seasoned officer now. He’ll be late middle aged kirk with the curly hair soon.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020