Rumor: Paramount Cancels Star Trek 4 And All Trek Movies After

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Danlav05, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Disappointed, because I like the Kelvin cast, but not surprised. Star Trek has always been a weird film franchise -- great name recognition, but comparatively little draw given that recognition and always weak overseas. The 2009 film was a success, but in retrospect it looks like it punched well above its weight and didn't build a strong foundation for subsequent film given the diminishing returns of the next two years. And as much as I like Beyond, it was obvious Paramount had no faith in the film -- they barely marketed it before it came out, and they announced the sequel (with Pine and Hemsworth) a day or two before it opened in an obvious move to create some positive buzz going into opening weekend. The multiple false starts in the four years since suggest that Paramount has been looking for what they want (a global tentpole franchise) and finding instead the reality of what Star Trek can give them (a modest domestic haul).

The Wormhole and TheAlmanac like this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Disappointed but not surprised. Trek movies were a risky proposition before Covid-19 (temporarily, I hope) killed the movie industry.

Cinematic Star Trek movies are dead. Roll on Long Treks on Paramount+

saddestmoon and Allyn Gibson like this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Probably the most believable rumour I've read since the release of Beyond.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

jackoverfull likes this.
  7. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Uhhh what's the source of these rumours? Anyway, the Screenrant article has an update from Paramount saying that Star Trek movies are still being developed.

UPDATE: Paramount says this is not true and Star Trek movies are still in development. The original article follows.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-4-movie-future-cancelled-rumors/

8. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Star Trek 5 (2025) Pine will be 45 years old, young enough to do a pre TMP revised Star Trek movie

Star Trek - The custody battle for David Marcus

9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Star Trek 4 has been cancelled? It must be Monday.

Nyotarules and Grendelsbayne like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's my view as well. I see no reason to believe it until a CBS and Paramount press release state "Hey, we're going in a different direction." Until then, color me skeptical.

11. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

I can't believe Shatner was 48 in that film; where does the time go?

And Pine is full of the white hair already; you can even boot him up to the 2280s era and just chalk it up to future health. A new Khitomer arc?

12. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

next news will be they've hired Meyer to merge the Hawley, Hemsworth, Tarantino scripts into the latest Trek masterpiece entitled 'Star Trek: The Undiscovered Vengeance'

Allyn Gibson and saddestmoon like this.
  13. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

Star Trek: A Piece of the Undiscovered Vengeance Action"

saddestmoon likes this.
  14. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I'm reminded of the South Park line - "How do you kill that which has no life?"

None of these projects seem to have any momentum.

jackoverfull likes this.
  15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wipe it out. All of it.

Start fresh. New ship. New crew. Any era. Heck, do Robert April and the first adventures of the Enterprise. Give us new. It will still pull in the fans. Minimize continuity bitching. S/FX style and action like DISCO or AbramsTrek. Maybe even Star Wars style cinematography and action.

We know next to nothing about April's era. Klingons could have been enemies (guess DISCO might invalidate that idea.) Maybe Orions? No need for a bunch of confusing aliens. No need for a bunch of confusing continuity baggage. A fast paced action series of movies. Perhaps each one is a first contact gone wrong, or settling a war between two factions, or pirates!

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It's not a "somebody". Giant Freakin Robot is a genre news website which has been around since 2008.

On the other hand, however...

Not named, which does tend to undermine the credibility of the report somewhat, especially when Paramount seems to have come out with a prompt denial of the story.

17. Mechanoid1

Mechanoid1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

GIANT FREAKING ROBOT reports that "Paramont sees Star Trek more as a television property and aren’t willing to invest in future Star Trek movies anymore. If one of the shows on CBS takes off that could change, but those shows aren’t generating enough interest.”

Not enough interest? What do they mean? And who the heck is Giant Freaking Robot anyway?

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Going back to April is inviting continuity arguements.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  19. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly too much time has passed for another kelvin movie. 4 years so far, and IF start right now it'll be another 2 years.
    None of the current "ideas" are blowing my skirt up..
    I'm still a proponent of a romulan war movie :bolian:

20. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Shouldn't this be moved to the 'news from dubious sources' thread over in Future of Trek? Some rando website posting a rumor doesn't strike me as anything but dubious.

BillJ, MrPicard, antinoos and 2 others like this.