Robert Picardo to return for Picard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Lorcan Kelly, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Try finding an apartment to live in while having an Arabic name. Anywhere in Europe. You’ll have a much harder time than a white guy.

Have you ever worried about not finding a place to live because of your name or the color of your skin (in addition to regular reasons that can affect everybody)? If no, that’s white privilege as.

There are so many more examples. The American police shootings are just the most obvious ones.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Alright, everybody, this has gone way too far. Everybody...and I mean EVERYBODY...needs to contribute to the actual topic from here on, and take the talk of white privilege, SJWs, and whatnot to Miscellaneous or TNZ.

I'd been giving you the benefit of the doubt even though your initial steps down this tangent had absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic. It's become clear that you're just here to stir things up, and you've succeeded. The tangent ends now. Take it to Misc or TNZ if you must, but keep it going here, or do the same thing in another thread in this forum, and you'll be getting a Warning for Trolling. Comments to PM.

I'm sorely tempted to lock this thread considering what a shitshow it's become, but I'll give it a chance to get steered back on course.

Publicly discussing putting posters on Ignore is also considered Trolling. I'll let it go with a friendly this time.

And the same here with publicly accusing other posters of trolling.

It's all in the rules, and there's a link to them pinned in this thread...profanity is fine, slurs aren't.

3. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't trolling buy maybe wasn't in the right mindset to have this discussion. Apologies.

4. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I saw what was there before the edit, so I have to conclude that the above statement might contain some terminological inexactitude, if such an observation is permitted by the forum etiquette.

5. The Old Mixer

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo. Well said. Privilege doesn't mean "without struggle" or "born with a silver spoon," it simply means not having certain cultural or personal difficulties as a result of how they were born. Too many take offense to the term without understanding what it truly means. And, most importantly is that people of privilege recognize it and use it as a platform for goodness. Use that advantage to help rather than deny its existence

If you're trying to have people lose respect for you in one single shot, I'd suspect you succeeded with this one. Well done.

EDIT: mods- I did not see the firm request to discontinue this subject prior to my post. Apologies. Please delete if I was out of line. Didn't see that the shots had been called.

7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The demographics haven’t changed, just how they were perceived. It was never just a bunch of nerdy white guys. Women, people of color and LGBTQ fans have always been there. Female fans basically built early Trek fandom through fanzines and early conventions. I don’t know why some fans have suddenly turned so hateful towards their fellow fans but it’s quite sad.

lurok, F. King Daniel, BillJ and 8 others like this.
  8. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

9. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Are we dropping it or not dropping it? I'm getting mixed signals.

KennyB likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Go with what the moderator of the forum says.

Manticore and KennyB like this.
  11. The Old Mixer

I guess we're dropping it the hard way, thanks to those who ignored my post.

KennyB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.