Rise of Skywalker cast on Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Jan 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was waiting for his TARDIS to show up. ;)

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Adam Driver was perfectly cast. Any qualms are with the scripts but he made Ren watchable, to say the least. He did the unpredictability angle extremely well. Nothing "emo" or whatever about it at all. In that aspect he's refreshing compared to Vader, TFA already was doing "movie remake by the numbers" so they had to resort to character archetypes to even get the movie to work - outside of nostalgia baiting. (Oh, I also didn't bother with TRoS once finding out DJ would not be returning. Not because of disliking TLJ the way many had. Luke arguably got the best depth of any returning OT character... but I digress.) A shame most of the new characters didn't get much of any depth and Finn had the potential for most.

Lance and DarthTimon like this.
  3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

If an actor's job is to play a completely different person, then typecasting shouldn't be much of a problem? But it's not as simple as that as many viewers often get attached to one character and can't go beyond that. Like Ed O'Neill going from "Married with Children" to "Dragnet" and the audience kept thinking "it's Al Bundy with a gun." FTW...

Lance likes this.
  4. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

So true.
    So much for having "a fan" who "knows the franchise" at the helm. Imagine if he had buckled and backpedaled to canonista Trekkies the way he did to the worst Star Wars fans with that last movie. It would have been a fanwanky mess.

DarthTimon likes this.
  5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

**cough**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.