Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: Yea that was hilarious. At least we to more of the backstory on Randall Flynn.

Anyone catch it but it's obvious that the writers are giving Stephen King's character Randall Flagg, and homage in the series by naming the antagonist, Flynn.

As an aside, the writers of the Walking Dead did the same for King by naming the fictional county Rick was from, "King County, GA," when no such place exists.

See above, the writers are OD'ing on King in Revolution.

2. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok I'll tell you everything... there's this place it's called... the tower *cut to black*

Really? Was that supposed to be a cliffhanger? Are we all mad-excited to know more? Frothing at the mouth?

It was an OK episode I guess, but the tone of this show is all wrong. Really... General Whatshisbooger, Bemis, and Whatsherbooger... their attack plan is to offer to let the guy surrender, followed by the 3v20 sword assault? I mean, I can accept the 3v20 sword win in a TV show. I mean, it's fiction.. I get it. That's fine. But for that to be the actual plan? I can only accept it if they're in a situation gone horribly wrong. I mean shit at least try to ambush them at some point where they're not expecting it.

Too cartoony.

And so Receding Hairline G-Man has some motivation for accidentally destroying the world. And he sees an opportunity to rebuild the world the way it should be. Great! That's good villain stuff. But really that would have worked a lot better if the dead kid in Afghanistan had a little build-up. I'm feeling a serious lack of subtlety in this show.

3. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

I really don't think he intented to cause the blackout, but stressed it since he wanted to revenge his son. You have to be awfully cruel to want to condemn the world to the horrors of a sudden blackout. Most supervillains probably would think it's a step to far.

I loved the kids playing with electricity-line, though.

One thought. If they destroy all these pendants, which seems possible if you know how to open them, is there a way to build new ones? Rachel has said that the key to turning on the lights has to do with them, and without them, the world should be screwed. If getting electricity back even is a good thing, I'm not really sure about that.

4. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is why I used the word "accidentally".

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I had to guess, and this is pure speculation, that could be why Flynn said he wanted Rachel, and didn't care about the pendants. He knows that Rachel & Co. know how to make more pendants, and he wants to get them all working to make them just for him and Monroe.
    As for the episode, I really enjoyed it. We got some good character moments for Rachel & Charlie, learned a little bit more about what went down between Miles & Monroe, we got some pretty good action scenes, and we saw the first steps in the Flynn/Monroe alliance.

6. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I care so little about how the blackout happened, what caused it, what spacebat magic they're going to use to bring back the power or even bringing back the power at all, that I find myself more and more disinterested in the flashbacks and now where it looks like they're taking the present plot as well.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Best one-liner this week, "Lighten up". :lol:

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why wouldn't it be?

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

According to the teasers, this week's episode will reveal how the blackout happened.

Given NBC's track record, and given the track record of shows like this one (LOST, primarily), I'll believe it when I see it. Frankly, I'm prepared to be disappointed in the answer they give us.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

How it happened, or how it works? 2 different questions.

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Indubitably.

Just like in Lost: Viewers clamored for answers to what the smoke monster was for virtually the entire run of the series (The "monster" was introduced in the pilot). We were treated with an answer in the 2nd to last episode of the series, and it ended up being some dude floated down a river and into a glowing cave, only to emerge as a smoke monster. LOLWHUT?

Completely bypassing how it works that a man can turn into a smoke monster, and just asking us to take for granted that he did indeed turn into a smoke monster.

12. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Because if one faction knew about it, they could use it to conquer the rest before anyone could react. It might not be at all pretty.

13. sojourner

Ah, but what if it came back for everyone? If you think about it that would actually be worse. Suddenly everyone's got tanks and bombs. The fighting and destruction would be much more intense than if just one faction had power.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I wasn't talking about the fighting, as such (although if everyone has power, then everyone can fight back against any tyrannies that might arise, such as Monroe; and eventually a stable government can form).

I simply meant, why isn't it an objectively good thing to have electricity? I wouldn't want the "Revolution" to be a "revolution against electricity". People should not be forced to live in darkness. This isn't the Emberverse, after all. ;)

(Remember, turning off the power is what enabled Monroe to take over in the first place...)

15. sojourner

Oh, I agree. Just pointing out that over 15 years things have stabilized to a point. Throwing power back into the mix is going to cause a lot of upheaval and with it alot of death.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I would think that the death that might be caused by turning the power back on would pale in comparison to the death that WAS caused when the power went off.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^And I would think things would probably stabilize a lot quicker too.
    I hope the show continues for at least a few episodes after the power does come back on. It will be interesting to see how the characters react to having electricity everywhere permanently again, especially the younger characters like Jason and Charlie who probably don't remember it very well.

18. sojourner

Well... yeah.

19. Lyon_Wonder

Lyon_Wonder Captain Captain

The Monroe Republic is reminding me more and more of North Korea with Philadelphia as Pyongyang and Monroe as the republic’s “Dear Leader”. About the only thing missing is a Dennis Rodman cameo.

20. sojourner

Ok, <looks at betting spread> who had the $100 on nanites?