Spoilers Revealed! Number One's name is...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by WarpFactorZ, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then you've never read Charles Dickens 1837 classic "The Pickwick Papers" (where the word first appeared). I've also seen it used in westerns. I like it.

Deledrius and Lance like this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same, although Jim is a dick for constantly reminding him of his divorce like that.

Kemaiku, Deledrius and Lance like this.
  3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never made the Una/Uno/Number One connection before. That's clever. :)

4. Doc Mugatu

Doc Mugatu Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be honest, as surly and nagging as McCoy was to Kirk and Spock in TOS, well, I'm not so sure Leonard was the injured party in the divorce and if his ex-wife got everything there was probably very good reason for that. Don't forget he also couldn't wait to pull the plug on his dad (ST V).

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It always amuses me that in Gene Roddenberry's so-called enlightened future where humans are all lardy-dar with each other, that one of his major characters has been through a bitter divorce. And that was always back story for McCoy, even before 2009. Kinda takes the shine off all that 'future humans always get along' stuff eh. ;)

6. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

It was never mentioned in TOS that McCoy was divorced so even though there may have been talk, it's not official (avoiding the "C" word here - tired of hearing it. )

I know that in "The Way to Eden" - the character of Chekov's girlfriend was rumored to initially have been written as McCoy's daughter. I think they lost a huge opportunity there when they changed it.

7. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Captain Captain

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.

Yes, he's an admiral. He does have the extra gold on the shoulders but it's just not obvious given the lighting in that scene. Here's the pic of the flag officer doing the debriefing from a post in the main 2/14 episode thread:

The additional gold detailing is definitely there but it doesn't stand out. The give-away is that the quilt-lines on the admiral versions of the uniforms run parallel to the gold stripes over the shoulder, as can be seen here, whereas on the standard uniforms the quilting follows the curve at the bottom of the shoulder-cap.

It's worth another look at the episode; it's brief but you *can* also make out that he's wearing the disc of a flag officer's badge rather than just a standard Starfleet arrowhead badge.

8. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Captain Captain

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.
    Back to the topic of the thread:

I completely missed that they actually gave her a name in a throw-away line in the midst of all the action-y stuff. I went back and watched it again before I saw the official confirmation quoted above -- and, sure enough, it's right there.

Given that they then pointedly *dodged* the opportunity to use it more clearly in the debrief scene, I'm not sure what the point was but unless there's a lot of pointless retcon at another time that it's a nickname or something like that (!) I guess we now have at least one of her names, presumably her first name...?

Let's face it, it's not the first time a character would have acquired a name / forename from beta-canon. I can think of worse...

When I hadn't spotted that Pike called her Una earlier in the episode, I guess I just assumed that any reveal of her actual name would be something they would prefer to keep for now and save for a reveal on a potential Pike / Enterprise series.

Deledrius likes this.
  10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ahh I see it now.

11. Succubint

Succubint Captain Captain

Oddly enough, the first time I heard of the term and its connection to medicine was when playing a futuristic video game. Don't recall the name of it now, but it was an MMO and it was a healing sub-class. :rommie:

12. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think this is a great move. There are two possibilities that would be at issue:

1. Her last name is Chapel, and it is revealed she is Christine's sister. That would be a great homage to Majel, and an acknowledgement of the resemblance between the two characters.

2. They do something else, and it will be a let down. Other than Chapel, is there really any name that wouldn't be a let down? Maybe if they could say that they found GR's notes and she had a name, but if that existed, wouldn't we know by now?

Longinus likes this.
  13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

TOS is non canon confirmed!!! How come Una never mentioned her sister Christine in the pilot!?

Must be a different time line!

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's obviously Una Numera.

please don't take this seriously...

CorporalCaptain and Greg Cox like this.
  15. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While dealing with Talos IV, it never came up. Kirk never mentioned his brother until he died in an episode.

I like keeping it a mystery.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Basically, there was no way we were going to be able to write an entire trilogy about the character while dancing around what her name was, especially since the story featured her at different points in her Starfleet career. Just calling her "Number One" is maybe workable when she's Pike's first officer, but "Lieutenant Number One" and "Captain Number One" didn't really work. :)

Plus, to be honest, I had already written one book (Child of Two Worlds) in which I had struggled to avoid mentioning her name for 80,000 plus words. Couldn't imagine trying to pull that off for an entire trilogy!

DEWLine, BeatleJWOL, Tuskin38 and 3 others like this.
  17. Black Manta

Black Manta Ensign Red Shirt

I know it's not canon, but a novel I read stated that Pike called her Number One simply because her name is unpronounceable.

BillJ and Greg Cox like this.
  18. EDX

EDX Lieutenant Red Shirt

Somewhere Between Future's End and First Contact
    Honestly, I'd love for her real name to be 'Una Chapel' but that may be a minority opinion; on the other hand no matter what her given name is, she'll always be Number 1 and that's why we love her!