Reveal: New transporter design!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Balok's Decoy, Jun 22, 2017.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

But the Gold Key transporter doesn't look like something Rod Taylor had spinning behind them. Put the disks in the ceiling--then fine. I could see them as teleporters on a steampunk airship..

I think you are on to something...it also reminds me a bit of this:
    http://gizmodo.com/a-rare-glimpse-inside-a-magnificent-abandoned-shrine-t-1000133696

That's how I imagine the interior of a nuclear pulse Orion ship.

Or maybe we are all being had--and this is something they threw up with odds and ends to get an uproar ;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  2. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Trek fans: "No way could modern audiences watch a new show with modern production values but with 1960's production design"! :thumbdown:

[​IMG]
    The Time Machine, 1960

[​IMG]
    The Time Machine, 1960

[​IMG]
    Star Trek: Discovery, 2017

Same Trek fans: "I love it. It's so new and unique. And so steampunk retro-futuristic!" :techman:

Me::shrug::brickwall:

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

"Let's do the time warp again"

We'll wake up--and it will all be a Captain Proton holodeck sim--just keep clicking those heels girl'

4. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Well it would be a federation design. And reeally, why not use windis as the hull is covered in em and its not like they make the bridge hard to hit

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first thing that popped into my head was the time wheel on the original time machine from "The Time Machine" (1960).

I like this design, even though we know next to nothing about how any of it is supposed to work.

fireproof78 likes this.
  6. Number One

Number One Commodore Commodore

More like how a show like ENT should have been. I would love it if they were that creative there(and this is an example of how it could be done and how dissapointing it was that they didn't dare to do it). This show's timeframe is closer to TOS were technology is much more refined than in this particular example. Remember this is a ship that has holocrons, Transparent Viewscreen and other way too futuristic details. It's like having a fighter plane with arquebus based guns(not a beam weapons seen in shot analogy; these are fine) and a steam engine that at the same time has stealth and radar, ejectable seats, modern missiles and visor helmets. Doesn't bode that well imo.

I would expect it for Pakled tech that borrows from others by stealing and then mixing and matching tech or maybe Kazon. Obviously it's a nod to previous Trek(like the ships deflector dish), but since they bothered here(and there), they should have bothered in other areas as well. As it is, it looks like a patchwork. Like someone in the drawing board said.."We will use the best of what FED members can provide in other systems, but for Transporters, let's just use X members tech which happens to be inferior to all other races of the time, just to look different from other ship classes". Purposeless at first glance. Once you go a certain way design-wise, best to go all way through it.

7. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Good sources.. well done.

8. Mirror Mirror

Umm so circles are not allowed?

JoeP likes this.
  9. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

But there are already transparent displays in 2017, and we are getting there with holograms, so why should a ship in 2260 not have these technologies? I do want them to use TOS Themes, and design languages, but I also do not want them to put their heads in the sand and pretend our own flow of technology does not happen.

uniderth, cultcross and Amaris like this.
  10. CaptainPete

CaptainPete Lieutenant Red Shirt

The thought has crossed my mind that this show is ten years before the cage as well. They say ten years before "Kirk, Spock and the enterprise". Well the Enterprise predates either Kirk or Spock amd it has to predate the enterprise by ten years. If it predates the enterprise by ten years then it's almost exactly between ENT and TOS, and the stuff wouldn't have to look like the cage cuz it would predate the cage as well.

11. Mirror Mirror

No, its 10 years before TOS so 2255.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. I'm wanting to see how it functions, instead of deciding to hate it now.

This quote from M*A*S*H seems appropriate now:
    I'll avoid the Christmas rush and start liking it now.

Amaris likes this.
  13. CaptainPete

How do you know that the trailer says ten years before the Enterprise?

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

OTOH. Kirk in "Obsession" is said to have manned the phaser station as a Lieutenant on the Farragut and the script for "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" refers to the hand weapons as old-style phasers.
    Which would include several bits from those four TV series, and ten movies. :lol:

Amaris likes this.
  15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]
    I keep thinking of the Deadly Rotary Fan trope.

16. Mirror Mirror

Entertainment Weekly pure put stated it was set 10 years before the TOS. This is how we know. And the trailer never said 10 years before the enterprise was built or the birth of anyone. It did imply 10 years before the TOS, which has now been confirmed

17. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

There is no continuous, upward development of technology thanks to the nuclear war that happened. Ent could've used this decades long retardation of tech to explain a more retro look.

18. CaptainPete

The cage is part of TOS so it's ten years before the cage. If the cage isn't part of TOS then it's not prime timeline and thus Discovery isn't tied to it.

19. Mirror Mirror

No the cage is not part of TOS, its outside it. And Kirk was not in the cage. This is 10 years before TOS, so 2254/2255 and it is Prime timeline, also confirmed.n You can ignore the cage's and TOS's look, forget how you think it should look, its not gonna look old and dated and Roddenberry himself ignored TOS when he felt like it.

So f the cage, its not even relevant

20. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Cage is part of TOS, but it's a clear outlier chronologically. It's also not part of TOS Season One. Ten years before TOS is almost certainly 2255 since the series as we know it begins in 2265.