Repulse class heavy destroyer TOS design

Is it an optical illusion, or does the shuttlebay door lead to a partially open space under the "winglet" on the left side?

I'm not sure I follow you but there are twin hangar bay doors aft that lead into two interior shuttlecraft bays. The winglets on either side of the aft hull are mounted externally and not part of the bay itself.

These two pics are giving my brain trouble. From the side, it looks like there's open space behind where the left hangar door is.

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know what is optically challenging you. The ship is symmetrical (port and starboard) with hangar pods as part of it's aft hull. Winglets are also mounted aft on either side of the slanted hull. In no way do they provide access to the interior spaces. Are you looking at the shadow beneath the wing and the integrated spotlight? The recessed cove of both hangar doors? Or, the space between the aft bays where the impulse drive resides?

I can feast my eyes on this beautiful model for minutes on end. So simple and smooth and yet so elegant and graceful. Truly an outstanding piece of artwork!

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know what is optically challenging you. The ship is symmetrical (port and starboard) with hangar pods as part of it's aft hull. Winglets are also mounted aft on either side of the slanted hull. In no way do they provide access to the interior spaces. Are you looking at the shadow beneath the wing and the integrated spotlight? The recessed cove of both hangar doors? Or, the space between the aft bays where the impulse drive resides?

The circled area is what's tricking my eye. The way the shadow falls behind "Repulse" plus the angle around the hangar door makes me think there's more of a recess there than there is.

a123.png

I just love that aft detail--it emulates the fantail of the Connie secondary hull.

This should be what the aft section of the Discovery's secondary hull should look like--not flat as in the McQuarrie/Adam original--but flowing.

This design is more elegant than Reliant--and I love that design as well.

These ships are totally awesome, star trek discovery should take note, this is what pre TOS ships should be! you really have caught the imagination of the original series and given it an extra bit of flair, I would so buy, any of these models, they would look cool in any fan's home!

Repulse photo thread also restored and relinked to new image host. A few new additions:

Thanks for your interest!

Absolutely gorgeous work, definitely worthy of some screen time. Just curious how you decided on the ship's insignia? Reminds me of a Rook in chess.

Hello! I absolutely adore your design for the USS Repulse and I would love to model it in 3d if you would allow it. If ao, would you happen to have cleaner/higher resolution orthographic views with a scale present?

Cheers!

Hello! I absolutely adore your design for the USS Repulse and I would love to model it in 3d if you would allow it. If ao, would you happen to have cleaner/higher resolution orthographic views with a scale present?

Cheers!
Welcome to the board, @Jeh! I think a 3D version of the Repulse would be awesome. However, looking at @AdmiralBuck’s profile it seems like he hasn’t logged on in a few months, so I’m not sure if you’ll get a response anytime soon. I think these days he’s much more active on both Twitter and Instagram. Maybe you should give reaching out to him a try there as well. Good luck! :)

Welcome to the board, @Jeh! I think a 3D version of the Repulse would be awesome. However, looking at @AdmiralBuck’s profile it seems like he hasn’t logged on in a few months, so I’m not sure if you’ll get a response anytime soon. I think these days he’s much more active on both Twitter and Instagram. Maybe you should give reaching out to him a try there as well. Good luck! :)
Thanks Michael! I'll give that a try and keep you posted if I am able to get the 3d model going!

He's a good dude, and insanely talented.

He really is! I hope I am able to do his amazing design justice.

I have mostly roughed out the main hull, just working on the impulse engines and aft end now. I will see about posting some progress shots.

Question? Should I do this in a new post or continue in this one? Not sure of the etiquette here.

I am happy to report that I have made contact and @AdmiralBuck has graciously sent me some hi-res artwork to help me model his awesome design for the Repulse-class.
That’s awesome to hear! I’m looking forward to you sharing your progress on this. :)

Question? Should I do this in a new post or continue in this one? Not sure of the etiquette here.
Please do so in a new thread. Mostly we try to have a thread per project and artist. Maybe you can link to this thread, so as to make it easier for people to find out more about the design. And do let me know if you need any assistance. :)

Back