Refugees in the EU

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kilana2, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just too little.

2. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

We could probably take in the whole lot and it wouldn't make that much of a difference. We would adapt and keep going much the same as we always have.

The thing we keep bringing up though...do they actually WANT to come here? It could be argued that our government's policies is what put them in this position to begin with.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The US accepts about 70,000-90,000 refugees per year. For anyone keeping track, that's about 0.028% of our population (per year.) This costs us about a billion dollars a year in terms of resettlement services and so forth, which sounds like a lot, but keep in mind the federal government spends about $4 trillion a year right now, so we're still talking about 0.025% of our total spending, too. A piddling amount, in the grand scheme of government finance.

We could afford to take in at least an order of magnitude more and we would hardly notice the financial impact, nor would it have any real demographic effect since the US is so huge.

4. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Photo Project "Humans of LaSeGo" by Berlin photographer Timm Stammberger.

Yes, horizontal scrolling sucks but the images and stories (hover over the image) are worth it.

5. Robert Maxwell

Just look at that Muslim invasion. :eek:

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Refugees are being turned away at the German-Austrian border right now by friendly police with machine guns.

I guess leaving this problem for a small country like Austria (which has already taken in a lot of people, anyway) to deal with is the new European solidarity. :lol:

7. { Emilia }

Ugh, they totally need those guns, right?
    Way to ignore what's actually happening, though! Germany is not stopping the refugee influx for good.

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

You are aware that Germany has put a temporay stop on none EU citizens from entering the country because they're "regrouping" as it were because of the massive amount of individuals that have entered your country has meant that there is a massive back log of individuals that need to be procesed. - Which is what I and {Emila} speculated yesterday when you brought this up and then was confirmed in ths mornings new reports.

Plus you know, most boarder crossings have Police Officers with guns keeping the peace.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

What I was saying is that we're back to the old border regime of two weeks ago with the Dublin rules being enforced. There's no evidence to suggest otherwise. In fact, the Minister of the Interior said it was to be a "return to normal".

Obviously, you can't stop everyone from coming. People were coming before the relaxing of the rules 10 days ago. But they'll have to rely more on people smugglers again to do so, especially now that other crucial bottlenecks have been closed as well. All this does is making things harder for the refugees. As I said, we're back to our usual selves. Germany was one of the big proponents of the Dublin rules in the first place, after all.

Within the Schengen area, normally there are no actual border crossings and nobody's guarding anything. There's also a difference between the standard equipment of the police and carrying machine guns. It's meant to deter, not to "keep the peace".

10. { Emilia }

How about we just wait and see? Gabriel said Germany will take about a million refugees this year, the official estimate is still at 800,000. As long as that number isn't reached I don't see the influx stopping. ;)

11. Robert Maxwell

It seems pretty obvious to me that border controls are essential to making sure that the people crossing over are qualified refugees in the first place.

People fleeing violence in Syria should have a quick path to asylum--Merkel has promised as much.

People coming over from the Balkans because they want better job opportunities: that's understandable, but the needs of genuine refugees are more urgent.

12. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

This information doesn't seem to be true, or at least not generally. In Austrian TV just now they said that people are not getting turned away, German police is just getting more thorough in registering people at the border already, which slows things down a bit.

And btw. the Syrian refugees in large part are not particularly imo; Iraqis maybe a little more, but that's just my personal impression.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I headed out to Belfast today, two or three of the other passengers were carrying pretty big donation bags, I know there's a drop off point somewhere near the city center, must have been headed there.

And that's just today, I'm sure this isn't the first lot doing so.

14. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

people are starting to get stir-crazy in the German refugee camps

permanent residential homes are full

they start quarrelling about minor issues

many volunteers are trying to distract and entertain them

there is only so much we can do

15. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Cologne: an assassin has stabbed a female politician in the neck. She was seriously injured but could be saved. The offender claimed to be annoyed about her refugee policy.

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Robert Maxwell

A link to a site I've never heard of, that doesn't seem to be a remotely credible news organization, and their only source is Breitbart? :lol:

"Here, have a link with some made up shit that happens to agree with my POV!"

19. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something that was brought to my attention by another web site.....

The government of Slovenia has moved to close their borders. They have already started construction of a razor wire fence.

20. Oerdin

Oerdin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Honestly, the UK has a far better policy wrt refugees than Germany does. As you say, they are taking people directly from UN camps, telling people if they show up illegally they will just be deported, and actually doing extensive security screening to make sure people are who they say they are and that they do not have extremist beliefs. They are also prioritizing the poorest and most vulnerable and those most in need of life saving medical care.

Compare that to the free for all stamped Merkel set off which was about 80% young men looking for jobs many not even from war zones but just simple econonic migrants. Refugees fleeing for their lives tend to take their whole families with them while economic migrants leave the women and children behind and only the young men go. If it is safe enough for their women and children to stay then really it is safe enough for them to stay as well.