Refugees in the EU

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kilana2, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I think it's naive to believe that Germany won't insist on the Dublin regulations as they have always done before the surprising turnabout two weeks ago. (And that means not having to accept most people that come because they obviously passed through states declared 'safe'.) For a brief moment, we showed what we were capable of but now it's over. And Orban and any other right-wingers are having a field day with it.

The solution to the situation in Munich would have been to send the trains elsewhere and not let them stop in Munich. This should be possible to organise in a country like Germany. I mean, it's possible to divert 1000s of federal cops to the borders now with a day's notice, after all.

Instead, countries like Lebanon and Turkey are expected to pick up the slack. The Minister of the Interior said this was a signal to the people in the camps there. What the EU is doing here is really very cynical. It's a game of NIMBY but on the backs of vulnerable people.

2. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

So since you're calling others naive: What do you suggest Germany should do if the other EU countries still refuse to take refugees in serious numbers?
    Germany can't do everything alone and last week's influx was really hard to handle. Even if Germany stopped taking refugees now it has still done more than most other countries.

I mean, I've seen what it's like here when I went to donate stuff at the local reception centre.

I do love when people have an easy solution to major issues. Speaking of naive, eh? ;)
    Your expectations are crazy considering the situation. I'm not saying it's too many people but it's probably too many people in too short a time. Refugees have been sent to other cities and towns in Germany but shockingly shit takes a while and capacities are limited.

I totally get your frustration and I also wish Germany hadn't suspended Schengen but your love for hating on Germany is just very... German. ;)

I think by letting them in Germany wanted to send a signal to the countries that are still refusing to help. Germany has tried to find a European solution in the past two weeks but "surprisingly" the other countries' reaction was to lean back and watch.

3. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Indeed - Germany have already taken more in a week than we are prepared to take over the next 3 years. It would be just as irresponsible for a country to take on more than they can cope with in emergency terms - immediate food, water, shelter, clothing, etc. The rest of Europe need to start picking up the slack, rather than criticising Germany for being somehow two-faced when they've done more than anyone so far. Refugees currently in Europe work out to about 11,000 per EU Member state. That's workable, not 200 to the UK and 300,000 to Germany.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well a long term solution might be to change the Dublin Regulations, sure it doesn't address the current crisis but might address future ones. However I have my doubts that the various EU nations will be able to come up with a consensus

5. cultcross

Well yes, they are stupid, and generally a way for the powerful countries, usually found away from the EU's accessible borders, to shift problems onto others. It is a very common sentiment in the British press, after all, that pretty much anyone wanting to come to Britain to claim asylum "could have stayed in France". The regulations are just that sentiment on a larger scale. It would make much more sense for a quota system based on national resources to be used to distribute incoming refugees with perhaps some form of screening for things like existing language skills or settled relatives.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sure that could be step two.

But the argument the British press use which you highlight above goes something along the lines of why are you caliming asylum in the UK when you have passed through several safe countries. You are therefore an economic migrant rather than someone seeking asylum for whatever reason. Sure you can argue that the Dublin regulations are flawed but I think at the heart of them it was too determine which are genuine refugees fleeing persecution and seeking asylum from economic migrants. But as is the case with a lot of EU legislation the various EU countrires they look at what is best for their country and vote accordingly.

7. cultcross

I don't particularly fall out with a system to sort out who is a genuine refugee and who is an economic migrant. Although I am ideologically a 'no borders' type, I also see that the inequality between nations needs tackling to a much greater degree than it is before that is an economically feasible model. I just reject the notion that passing through safe countries to reach a particular destination makes you less feasible as a 'genuine refugee'.

If I needed to flee Britain to somewhere I thought I could make a life for myself, by the logic of the treaty, France should be my destination. Amount of French I speak: enough to buy stuff in shops. Chance of me getting a job and being able to sustain my family, let alone use any of my professional experience: slim to none. I think I'd make tracks for an Anglophone nation first of all, regardless of how many 'safe' countries I passed through on the way. Not to mention that if something like IS were happening in the UK (calm down Nigel, I said 'if'), I think I'd want to be as far away as possible, and one or two land borders, lines on maps, wouldn't make me feel a whole lot safer.

Besides, the arguments for the Dublin rules are based on individuals. When we are dealing with tens of thousands, they simply aren't feasible. 'First safe country' then has to include whether or not that country can feasibly absorb that volume of refugees.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As you highlight tackling the route causes of migraton (economics, war & religious persecution to name three) could help reduce the need for people to migrate. Unfortunatly there is no simple solution

9. cultcross

Oh it would, definitely. That should be part of our long term efforts through international aid. However, it isn't a very useful approach in an emergency such as this, and is being used by the Tories as a get out clause, saying we are 'helping' by trying to make Syria safe instead.

10. { Emilia }

Vice chancellor Sigmar Gabriel has announced that Germany is expecting one million refugees this year.

Meanwhile the Syrian refugees in the UK still fit in a single London tube train.

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

That's brilliant.

That, that is just utterly disgusting on our behalf. Not that it means much, I sure as hell didn't vote for the Government we have in place and if it was upto me and not my mother, I would let a family live in my Grandmothers house which is lying empty right now in Kent.

12. { Emilia }

And please don't get me wrong. I don't mean to imply that Brits are bad people. I'm sure many of you would love to help and take in more refugees. But the situation is so messed up right now (not just in the UK) and that's frustrating. :(

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's inhumane, is what it is.

And I'm not just talking about the extreme right-wing outliers in the EU such as Hungary. There is a silent majority of EU member nations right now that's simply sitting back and collectively crossing their arms while a humanitarian crisis is unfolding in our midst.

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

^No offence taken and I completely agree, it is frustrating that we're doing the square route of fuckall really to help in this situation compared to other nations. And other than donating old clothes and going on a march to show solidarity with the refugees, I'm not in a position to really help.

Hopefully the meeting between interior ministers will force the less than generous nations (like ourselves) into helping more.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

The U.S. is opening its borders to take in about 10,000 more Syrian refugees, which I'm glad we are, but at the same time I wonder at the practicality of it. If I lived in Syria, and I was trying to get away from the violence, I'd hightail it to the nearest safe country, and while the U.S. would be safe, we're WAY over here on the other side of the hemisphere. I'm not sure how much good it will do them. Still, as long as we help get them out of that hellhole, that is good. We could do so much more, though.

16. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I agree. Plus despite all the multi cultural talk that goes around immigrants assimilate into the greater culture much more easily here. Its what happens because we are an 'immigrant culture'. Yes parts of the native culture are retained but your children/grandchildren will be Americans. If you don't want that to happen...don't come here.

Having said that as far as I'm concerned immigrants only make our country stronger. Yes there are rough patches in the beginning with any new group but in the end it usually works out for the best. People go on and on about the criminal element that might be let in but they also bring in what's best about themselves as well.

Or maybe I'm just an optimist.

17. { Emilia }

The closest safe countries can't deal with millions of refugees so they'll have to be spread out over many countries. It doesn't really matter a whole lot if they end up in Belgium or the US.
    The US really needs to take in way more than what they've promised so far. It's a disgrace for a superpower to be so conveniently absent during a major refugee crisis.

Adding some stuff to my earlier report. (Source)

So yeah, looks like we were right: Germany isn't really closing its borders. It's just trying to organize shit and cope with the influx while still taking in more people. They're trying to manage the flow of refugees by using special trains.

Actual refugees (from Syria and other countries) are still going to arrive. The problem was that the open borders also made a lot of people from the Balkans arrive who have no chance of being granted asylum because they're not really refugees but economic migrants.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  18. { Emilia }

Sorry about the double-post but this is kinda cool: http://www.refugees-welcome.net/

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=4&v=Gdwzh8fuWqs[/yt]

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

That is so cool - and pragmatic!

20. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

The lack of subsidized housing is going to be a big problem. There are the Eastern German "Plattenbauten". Conversely there are more fugitives in cities like Munich, Hamburg and so on, where even local people have difficulties to find affordable accommodations.

Living in tents is questionable, it's getting colder already. According to the German law for Asylum seekers they have to live in communal accommodations.

They receive medical help, but only rudimentary. And they need certificates of illness every time they want to go to a doctor, given by the social welfare office/welfare agency.

So, alternative forms of living are possible, but not that early in their asylum procedure. Keeping families together, putting young people into shared flats..... many challenges...

In Saxony-Anhalt there are many empty Plattenbauten, but they are too shabby and have to be refurbished.......