Refit/1701-A - 3D Model, Full Interior

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DanGovier, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

This is such an incredible project! Awesome mate!

DanGovier likes this.
  2. DanGovier

DanGovier Commander Red Shirt

Hmmm, so... I thought I had enough room available for access to the lower lounge, but in practice with some girders added it's actually a really awkward entrance. The opening is a standard 36" door, and while it almost fits, the diagonal beam and the planter sticking out of the upper lounge prevents proper access to the doorway;
    [​IMG]

Here's what it looks like with my 6' Spock dummy, who is definitely not happy with the entrance. It's also pretty rubbish in VR.
    [​IMG]

Soooo, it looks like the only solution is to go with Andrew Probert's concept art from '79 (https://thirdwavedesigndotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/probert-lounge-002-150ppi.jpg) with the open plan lounge. It's actually great how Andrew's concept art has proven itself to be the most viable solution twice now. Firstly with the stepped Rec Deck, and now with the lounge :)
    I think this is actually going to be a blessing in disguise, because losing the awkward doorway enables me to include some toilets and a more feasible mess area;
    [​IMG]

gorn81, TOMFAN, blssdwlf and 4 others like this.
  3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Temporary partitions could be pulled across/up/down to hive off sections temporarily I guess.

4. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I've only seen this around and have not studied all of the geometry yet, but this was Polar Lights' solution:

[​IMG]

Psion, DanGovier and Pauln6 like this.
  5. Pauln6

Oh Yeah. Mine is glued in my saucer now. I can barely see it.

Sibyl and DanGovier like this.
  6. DanGovier

I do keep looking at splashing out on the 1/350 Polar Lights model, but having never constructed or painted a miniature before I'm nervous that I'd completely mess it up. At least with digital models you have an undo button :D

Sibyl likes this.
  7. DanGovier

I spent most of last night fixing minor errors and cleaning up stray geometry, and I also started building the mountings for the bridge module. I'll use the hollow space above the B Deck corridor for the hardware that controls the clamping mechanism, which means pretty much every inch of available space on B Deck contains something.
    [​IMG]

The lounge walls are now gone, and depending on how it looks I might turn the support columns into attractive pillars like the ones we see in the 1701-a ship's wheel room. I'll stick some lighting sconces on them too.
    [​IMG]

I was also messing around with bolts and things. I'm going to make each physical bolt a clone of the same component, because Sketchup gives you a count of how many instances of a component are used in a model. That means I'll know exactly how many bolts were used in the ship's construction, which for some reason I think is important :P
    [​IMG]

gorn81, QuinnTV, Spaceship Jo and 7 others like this.
  8. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is VERY important to know how many bolts you've used! Because of... reasons!

On a side note, how many sides do the bolts have? Did you keep it at the standard 24 or did you go down to 12 for complexity sake?

DanGovier likes this.
  9. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    At this point, I’m DYING to get the finished model into Revit and create a full set of construction documents, because I may be certifiably insane.

DanGovier and danellis like this.
  10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're quite insane, but it's a charming kind of insanity that warms one's heart. Songs will be sung of your madness.

DanGovier likes this.
  11. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Are you optimizing your models for use in a real-time engine/VR? Looking at the way you’re constructing things, I fear that you’re going to have major performance issues in Unreal. Are you baking normal maps from high-poly models are or you relying on geometry to carry all the weight?

DanGovier likes this.
  12. DanGovier

Actually even less, they're octagons :)

At the moment there are no UV unwraps or anything, it's just pure geometry. That's purely because I'm modelling in Sketchup, which has no native UV unwrapping capability. Once I'm happy with the construction I'm going to be exporting to Blender to perform the UV unwrapping, and then Substance Painter to do all the texturing and normal maps etc. I hope to be able to cut down on the polys considerably once I'm using normal maps, but thanks to occlusion the VR performance is still fine at the moment on my ageing i5 with 8GB RAM & a GTX 960 :)

13. DanGovier

I think the workflow needs to go something like... 3D Model > Revit > Architect > Crowd Funding > Purchase Land > Hire Construction Company :D

Sibyl, John Sinclair and Firebird like this.
  14. Pauln6

It's an amazing model. It fits together really well. It's taking me so long because I'd never made a model before and I decided to light it. I'm having mixed results with light blocking and fitting it all together but without the lights it would be a dream to build .

15. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the nifty hiding place where an assassin can enter unseen, and take out the first and second in command. ;-)

16. Pauln6

They will have security in place to open the hatch. "Identify for toupee scan..."

cardinal biggles and Sibyl like this.
  17. DanGovier

Plus the room below is a high-security area because of the whole computer core and EPS network thing, so without the correct toupee rank you can't get anywhere near the hatch ;)
    There are however unconfirmed reports of a security loophole involving strapping a tribble to your head.

Sibyl, Pauln6 and John Sinclair like this.
  18. DanGovier

I've been away at the Download music festival in the UK for the past week, but now I'm back and working hard on getting this lounge finished. I've completely moved away from the colour scheme seen in TMP and I'm now using something more like what we see in TWOK, mixed with a dash of luxury yacht. I'm struggling with the chair colour though... cream blends in too much with the carpet, brown leather looks a bit tacky, and blue looks out of place. I imagine I'm probably going to go with the same blue seen on the chairs in Kirk's quarters, I just need to find a shade that looks good.

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gorn81, Cyfa, TOMFAN and 3 others like this.
  19. Rekkert

Rekkert Fleet Captain Premium Member

Ohh, that looks really nice, though maybe a bit too luxurious for the more utilitarian interior Nick Meyer liked and would've used. It looks more like something Herman Zimmerman would've done on the Enterprise-A or D in my opinion.

20. DanGovier

Yeah, it's actually quite difficult to hit the right balance between luxury and utility, although Kirk's quarters in TWOK are similar with regard to the use of wood and gold trim. His TWOK quarters are significantly more opulent compared to what we see in TMP, so it's likely that other areas of the ship also underwent a similar upgrade.
    [​IMG]

John Sinclair and Rekkert like this.