[Reddit / IMDB] TATV is the 5th worst finale of any TV show ever

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Mach5, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/3hkjsz/tv_finales_that_surprisedisappoint_oc/

The ten worst rated ever are:

1. Two and a Half Men (4.6)
    2. Dragon Ball Z (4.7)
    3. Dexter (4.8)
    4. True Blood (5.1)
    5. ST Enterprise (5.4)
    6. How I Met Your Mother (5.7)
    7. Baywatch (6.4)
    8. The L Word (6.6)
    9. Scrubs (6.7)
    10. Misfits (6.8)

I was expecting Batllestar Galactica's finale -"Daybreak" to be high on this list, but to my shock, it's score is as high as 8.9. I hated that finale for more reasons than I can count... I guess I'm in a minority here. :shrug:

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

What the hell was wrong with Dragon Ball Z's finale?

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The only one of those finales I saw (besides TATV) was Two and a Half Men. I'm pretty sure the only reason why it's on the list is that Charlie Sheen wasn't in it.

Well, to me you are. I thought Daybreak was awesome.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I can live with that.

5. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"These Are The Voyages" was poorly conceived and in no way a good episode, let alone a good finale, but at least it was a decently executed episode of television. Not so the long-overdue finales of Andromeda, Earth Final Conflict and Sliders, at the very least, the last episodes of which were all painfully amateurish nonsense.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I've never seen a single episode of Earth Final Conflict or Sliders, but I actually remember feeling embarrassed watching the Andromeda pilot. The whole thing was dismal.

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Hahahahaha! I am so glad to see Dexter and True Blood are on this list and that they score worse that TATV. Ha! God, were those two finales awful. Exemplary examples of not trying and phoning it in as you cross the finish line.

Why don't you like Daybreak? I know a lot of people became disenchanted with BSG by season 3 and the writers strikes of 009, didn't help season 4, nor did the seemingly bipolar nature of that season. But I think BSG managed to finish strong. RDM's style of writing/making things up as he goes along (which he admitted the identities of the Final Five were done this ) is probably to blame though.

Perhaps it's because of Buu Saga dislike. Buu's arc has never been as popular as Frieza Cell or the Saiyans.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Because Season 4 raised a lot of questions, and Daybreak didn't really answer any of them.

Also, the highly controversial LOST finale has a really high rating - 8.1. I personally haven't seen it, because I completely LOST (kpow!) interest in that show sometime during season 2.

9. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I am with you. I hated that finale with the passion of a thousand suns.

But then again I honestly lost interest in BSG after the Pegasus arc. I kept watching it but only out of habit. I was hoping it would get better. Didn't happen for me.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

"Lay down your burdens" is where BSG jumped the shark for me. Pegasus arc I loved. It reaffirmed Adama as a true badass.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This math pleases me.

12. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

I've only seen the finales of True Blood and Enterprise from this list but True Blood was one of the worst finales I've ever watched. The writers gave up on the show before the last season even began and it showed. Awful ending to a once great series.

Enterprise, if nothing else, at least gave us one more adventure aboard the Enteprise-D and appearances from Riker and Troi. It's biggest crime was making the finale about characters from another series and not the characters viewers spent 4 seasons watching. Ironically the only reason I tuned in is because of The Next Generation characters.

13. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

These ratings are a bit odd overall. I think a lot of them are based on how people felt about the series as a whole, or about the final season, or its place as a cool cultural moment.

(The whole 9th season of Scrubs is generally regarded as a mistake. Producer Bill Lawrence had jumped ship, and most of the cast had left too. The replacement cast were highly inadequate.)

Apart from all that, TATV deserves a lower score than 5.4.

14. teacake

True Blood finale sucked but it had a long goddamn build up of suck.

TATV didn't have that. TATV was just wrong.

15. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

We had the rug swept under us after Terra Prime, which most of us consider a great episode. TATV made zero attempt to connect to what happened in Terra Prime. I didn't watch The Pegasus but heard from several people that it doesn't connect well to that either. And I still don't know what the hell Riker's problem had to do with rescuing Shran's daughter.

Wrong also describes what they did to the characters. They turned Shran and Trip into idiots. Why would a grown ass man turn to crime when he retires? No one cares when Trip dies except Archer and T'Pol (who ironically shows the most emotion out of everyone). And how does an engineer not finish college? I'm an accountant and in school, professors bugged us to get the CPA because many companies won't put you into management positions without it. They want to tell me that a regulated field where mistakes have more life-and-death consequences would give the top job to someone without a bachelor's degree, let alone a license?

16. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

You have no idea how angry this made me. My jaw literally dropped when Hoshi (or whoever) said it.

Probably the most idiotic thing Brannon Braga ever came up with.

17. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

I wasn't that the angry at the college thing because I was in high school at the time, although I got offended when holo-Malcolm said Trip was a hick. And at the dumb way Trip died when we saw the MacGyver of the South in action just last episode. Back. To. Back.

But this is why TATV made me angrier as time went on. In freshman year, I had roommate in engineering and saw how much she studied. And when my interest in Trek got revived, I was in grad school for accounting. I got over most bad TV but TATV is the only episode to do the opposite.

18. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the bright side, no episode of Star Trek has screamed "Just ignore me! I'm too stupid to count towards anything so I may as well not exist!" quite as loud since Voyager's "Threshold". Makes it easier to just pretend it never happened.

19. teacake

Threshold was camp.

Camp is good.

TATV was shit.

Shit is not good and has never been good.

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you can laugh at Threshold. Watch it high on acid or something. Spock's Brain too.

TATV, though... The most joyless, soulless hour of television I can think of.