Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire (Zack Snyder, Dec. 22 on Netflix)

I watched it last night, and I did enjoy a few parts of it. The Metroid-type alien that seemed to be parasitic and the spider woman were kind of cool. :D That being said, the movie does have plenty of flaws. The character development is pretty weak, which is unfortunate since the cast isn't all that bad. They need better material to work with.

The excessive slo-mo also became (for me) somewhat unintentionally funny, particularly during the final battle, because it killed any of the proper tension those sorts of scenes should have. It's a film technique that, used properly, can be a handy addition (I mainly thought about how it was used much more effectively in some of the famous battles from the first Matrix movie). But one has to know how to effectively use it.
The movie 300 seemed to have that right amount of slo-mo along with fast paced action. Maybe Zack should check in with the director of that movie to see how it should be done

The movie 300 seemed to have that right amount of slo-mo along with fast paced action. Maybe Zack should check in with the director of that movie to see how it should be done

It helped that he had a literary basis and only needed to adapt it. He did that really well i have to say and i love watching 300 to this day, Rebel Moon not so much i think.

I just finished it. Star Wars crossed with Seven Samurai is an adapt comparison.

My judgement is that it’s a B-movie story with a big Hollywood budget.

I agree with the reviews that Snyder’s visuals are outstanding. But it’s full of every sci-fi trope and cliche in the book. Its not saying anything new or unique.

Biggest issue I had with it was that the final conflict was very underwhelming. I get its only part one but it felt like a fight you would expect in a mid part of a movie.
I also feel like the characters needed to be fleshed out more. From the trailer for part 2, it looks like that part is there.

I watched it last night, and I did enjoy a few parts of it. The Metroid-type alien that seemed to be parasitic and the spider woman were kind of cool. :D That being said, the movie does have plenty of flaws. The character development is pretty weak, which is unfortunate since the cast isn't all that bad. They need better material to work with.

The excessive slo-mo also became (for me) somewhat unintentionally funny, particularly during the final battle, because it killed any of the proper tension those sorts of scenes should have. It's a film technique that, used properly, can be a handy addition (I mainly thought about how it was used much more effectively in some of the famous battles from the first Matrix movie). But one has to know how to effectively use it.
I agree with the slow motion. I don't get why he uses it so much. He didn't in Man of Steel.

As much as there are Snyder fans who will automatically love this movie, there are as many Snyder haters who won't even watch this and still call it garbage. I find nothing more boring right now than the online Snyder-war.
This movie is certainly not good by any measure. And if you dislike many of Snyder's usual style choices in effects, music and design, you will also dislike this. For me, it was just some mindless entertainment while I was sick. Harmless, stupid fun.

That line's play out.

except it's really true. I re-watched it just before Rebel Moon, and i was surprised how well it held up (with a bias on my part of knowing this was low budget and pre-CGI).... there was diversity in spaceship design and characters... where we had at least 3 different aliens (who looked alien, as opposed to just some make up where they might have been scarred humans) who played major parts in the movie (Nestor, Cayman of Lambda Zone and the Kelvin). Each of the recruits had distinct personalities and motivations.

So far, the crew doesn't have the diverse feel that BBTS or Justice League (both versions) had.

Rebel Moon has some stuff, like the alien who was talking through a human, like Independence Day... but that was a "cameo" vs. a recruit

except it's really true. I re-watched it just before Rebel Moon, and i was surprised how well it held up (with a bias on my part of knowing this was low budget and pre-CGI).... there was diversity in spaceship design and characters... where we had at least 3 different aliens (who looked alien, as opposed to just some make up where they might have been scarred humans) who played major parts in the movie (Nestor, Cayman of Lambda Zone and the Kelvin). Each of the recruits had distinct personalities and motivations.

So far, the crew doesn't have the diverse feel that BBTS or Justice League (both versions) had.

Rebel Moon has some stuff, like the alien who was talking through a human, like Independence Day... but that was a "cameo" vs. a recruit
I don't disagree, it's just that that last few pages have been all about BBTS. Thought it was time to interject something new. :p
My first post way back on page one brought in Seven Samurai, which is kind of played out as well. Meaning we've beat to death.

Actually saw Rebel Moon pt. 1 last night. Very middling and uninspired. Left no cliché unturned.

Back