Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire (Zack Snyder, Dec. 22 on Netflix)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The movie 300 seemed to have that right amount of slo-mo along with fast paced action. Maybe Zack should check in with the director of that movie to see how it should be done

Forbin and Skipper like this.
  2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It helped that he had a literary basis and only needed to adapt it. He did that really well i have to say and i love watching 300 to this day, Rebel Moon not so much i think.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really enjoyed this. Predictable, by the numbers but very stylish. Looking forward to part 2.

Definitely undeserving of all the bile being directed at it.

PiotrB and fireproof78 like this.
  4. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I just finished it. Star Wars crossed with Seven Samurai is an adapt comparison.

My judgement is that it’s a B-movie story with a big Hollywood budget.

I agree with the reviews that Snyder’s visuals are outstanding. But it’s full of every sci-fi trope and cliche in the book. Its not saying anything new or unique.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first trailer for part two:

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So the spider woman was actually Jena Malone.

Wow, didn't realize that.

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My favorite review so far is "A visually stunning collection of spare parts and leftovers." :lol:

Markonian, Gepard, FreezeC77 and 2 others like this.
  8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Biggest issue I had with it was that the final conflict was very underwhelming. I get its only part one but it felt like a fight you would expect in a mid part of a movie.
    I also feel like the characters needed to be fleshed out more. From the trailer for part 2, it looks like that part is there.

9. thribs

I agree with the slow motion. I don't get why he uses it so much. He didn't in Man of Steel.

Set Harth likes this.
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

A movie being derivative is one thing, but being boring is the worst thing it can commit.

11. thribs

Agreed but I didn’t find it boring. There is some interesting stuff on there.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as there are Snyder fans who will automatically love this movie, there are as many Snyder haters who won't even watch this and still call it garbage. I find nothing more boring right now than the online Snyder-war.
    This movie is certainly not good by any measure. And if you dislike many of Snyder's usual style choices in effects, music and design, you will also dislike this. For me, it was just some mindless entertainment while I was sick. Harmless, stupid fun.

13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was not aware movies could be that ;)

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is not allowed. Everything must be art and meaningful and deep and layered and Martin Scorcese.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Isn't that called "Rogue One"? ;)

saddestmoon, Anwar and Morpheus 02 like this.
  16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's called Battle Beyond the Stars.

Anwar and Morpheus 02 like this.
  17. Nerys Myk

That line's play out.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Some things are perennially true.

19. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

except it's really true. I re-watched it just before Rebel Moon, and i was surprised how well it held up (with a bias on my part of knowing this was low budget and pre-CGI).... there was diversity in spaceship design and characters... where we had at least 3 different aliens (who looked alien, as opposed to just some make up where they might have been scarred humans) who played major parts in the movie (Nestor, Cayman of Lambda Zone and the Kelvin). Each of the recruits had distinct personalities and motivations.

So far, the crew doesn't have the diverse feel that BBTS or Justice League (both versions) had.

Rebel Moon has some stuff, like the alien who was talking through a human, like Independence Day... but that was a "cameo" vs. a recruit

20. Nerys Myk

I don't disagree, it's just that that last few pages have been all about BBTS. Thought it was time to interject something new. :p
    My first post way back on page one brought in Seven Samurai, which is kind of played out as well. Meaning we've beat to death.

Actually saw Rebel Moon pt. 1 last night. Very middling and uninspired. Left no cliché unturned.

Turtletrekker likes this.