Poll Rate modern Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Rate modern (2017-present) Star Trek?

1. 10 - best Trek ever

2.4%
  2. 9

14.6%
  3. 8

18.3%
  4. 7

14.6%
  5. 6

6.1%
  6. 5

14.6%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

2.4%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1 - fire Kurtzman!

22.0%
  1. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lower Decks = 10 out of 10 it's awsoooooooooome
    Season 2 of Discovery = 5
    Season 1 of Discovery = 2
    And I gave up on Picard and Season 3 of discovery, so I'm not in a place to rate those.

Bry_Sinclair and Qonundrum like this.
  2. Onid

Onid Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

We've had four live action seasons and every single one was an incoherent mess. I would classify it as a total disaster.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  3. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6 live-action seasons and 1 animated season. But I guess you're a big fan of Lower Decks and Short Treks (so am I!).

4. Onid

Onid Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Short Treks: so-so (honestly, I completely forgot about them).
    Lower Deck was fun. Being an animated comedy show, the over the top characters and crazy storylines feel at home. Also, it's an episodic show, so even if you don't like one, the next one might work.
    Discovery and Picard insist on serialised storytelling, but are unable to deliver a coherent and well thought out story.

StarMan and dupersuper like this.
  5. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lower Decks: 8.5
    Short Treks: 8
    Discovery season 3 (so far): 7
    Discovery season 2: 6
    Discovery season 1: 5.5
    Picard: 4

Ready Room and After Trek also exist.

Overall that makes 6.5.

6. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Subpar, the stories are not interesting they feel like event presentation without much substance, everything is all surface level stuff for me and I still feel most of these serials could be told in 2 or 3 episodes than prolonging them to 10. Cinematic look is outstanding but again that is just surface, I hate the uninspired ship designs and the ugly impractical costumes worn in DISCO. As PICARD, I would expect Starfleet uniforms would appear more sleek and interesting but the focus is not about them, its about the world of Picard now in his robot life at 90.

If I had to give numbers:

DISCO - 3
    TREK SHORTS - 3
    PICARD - 3
    Was never interested in Lower Decks and judging from that horrible animation I probably will never watch it. Ever.

Not my kind of Star Trek but I still think these things are beautiful and very movie-like and Kurtzman should be commended for making Trek look eye-candy-ish, they look cinematic.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Disco 1: 6
    Disco 2: 9
    Disco 3: 8
    Picard: 6
    Lower Decks: 5

Have not caught up on the shorts.

Strongly disagree that the storylines are incoherent. They're uneven, absolutely. But not difficult to explain or track at all. And the quality of the main characters makes up for the unnevenness.

Vger23 and F. King Daniel like this.
  8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks to the money I got from the old folks at Xmas I got myself Amazon Prime and now impatiently awaiting the release of Lower Decks, the only modern Trek series that I'm actually eager to see, so I'll get to judge it soon. After that I might try the Picard pilot.

Orphalesion likes this.
  9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Now that the third season of DSC is done, and we're probably looking at a break for most of 2021, here's how I rate it season-by-season. Not including Short Treks because that's really just a collection of short films.

1) Picard, Season 1 --> 9
    2) Discovery, Season 1 --> 8.5
    3) Discovery, Season 2 --> 8.5
    4) Discovery, Season 3 --> 8
    5) Lower Decks, Season 1 --> 7

These reflect how I feel about the seasons as a whole instead of just the raw averages of the episodes in them. Because sometimes a season can be more or less than the sum of its parts. And my final evaluation of the seasons should reflect that.

And I'm going to judge them all by the same standard, just so the numbers actually mean something. I had different criteria for Lower Decks episodes during the season as it was airing (i.e. How well did the jokes land?), but I want ratings I can apply universally when comparing the different seasons of different series directly with each other.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  10. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery 3/10 and trending down
    Picard 10/10
    Lower Decks 8/10
    So it's a crapshoot. So basically same as Star Trek has always been ;)

11. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can’t rate it, I’m just delighted to have Star Trek back on television and in my life. Like life itself, there are good days and not so good days, but I’m just happy to be in the game.

Vger23 likes this.
  12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

IMHO

Picard Episodes 1-7 = 9
    Picard Episode 8 = 5
    Picard Episodes 9,10 = 0

Picard started off so well...then... I thought the ending was so brutally horrible and stupid it really left a bad taste in my mouth.

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Would you say those last three episodes ruined the entire series for you in general (i.e. you're not looking forward to the rest of it) or just the season?

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

It’s Jean Luc Picard.

Definitely will give Season 2 a chance. He’s earned that much.

No more Soongs, robot spaghetti monsters, etc.l!!! :scream::scream::scream:

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rate modern Trek? How can I when it is all over the place?

I think I agree with this list completely. Bravo!

DISCO is crap. Any TV series that has to retool and reinvent itself each season is crap. DISCO and JJTrek are at the bottom of my list, along with ENT. VOY only rates higher because I was in a fan group at that time with a lot of endearing comrades, so that makes a difference. Plus, Tom Paris is one of my favorite characters.

PIC was pretty good, but fell apart at the end.

LD us great but the fan service an in-jokes break the 4th wall too much for me to take it seriously. It's more of a wonderful parody than serious Trek.

16. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I’d I rated/ranked the new seasons of Star Trek based on my enjoyment level...I suppose it would be:

8.5 DSC S1
    8 DSC S2
    8 PIC S1
    7 DSC S3
    4.5 LD S1

I agree that PIC dropped off as a result the finale. If they could have avoided the “Logan’s Run television series location and androids” part of the plot, PIC could have been a 9 and in the top slot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oy vey.

17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

100%

ananta likes this.
  18. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha I never made the connection, until now.

i actually found the Picard finale a triumph on an emotional level, and the final Data scenes were very moving to me. But the whole planet of the androids thing was incredibly naff, and cheap looking. There were at least a couple of times on PIC where I was wondering if much of the budget had been blown on Sir Patrick’s salary.

Vger23 likes this.
  19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard's launch was amazing - loved the first couple of episodes. After episode 3 I said it was the first time I'd felt like a bona fide fan of a new Trek series since DS9.

Episodes 9 and 10 negated the above. I had great fun speculating how The Borg, The Romulans, the attack on Mars, the ban, Soji etc. were all interconnected. Little did we know that the answer would be so unfulfilling and - frankly - idiotic.

Discovery: 5 / 10 (generous as I've never been much of a fan)
    Picard: 4 / 10 (punishment for the last two)
    Lower Decks: 7 / 10 (I stopped being a miserable bastard)

So, 16 / 30.

Lower Decks
    was a strange one. I wasn't a fan at the beginning, but I finally warmed to it in the last couple of episodes.

20. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Really enjoying Discovery and Picard, not going to put a rating out of 10 on them but I've never missed an episode.

Not that either of them could hold a candle to TOS/TNG at their best, though.